• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Download prioritization among multiple Stratos

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I guess it doesn't ultimately matter, but curious why a system with multiple stratos (each with storage) keeps putting new downloads on the same nearly-full Strato 6Tb rather than starting to use space on the new Strato S 10Tb that is completely empty? Does the system always try to completely fill the first storage device in the system before moving to another one?

experiencing the same thing.....have a 12tb Strato that was about 40% full and implemented a 40tb Terra Into my system.....Strato is now about 65% full and nothing has downloaded on the Terra.

hmmm, that’s a more disturbing example. The Terra is supposedly more capable of streaming to multiple devices than a strato, so it’s very strange the system would prioritize anything to go on a strato when tons of space are sitting there unused on a Terra.

I’d have expected that the moment a Terra showed up on your network and was added to the Kaleidescape system in the home, that all new downloads would go to the Terra, and then fill the Terra before it started using Strato space again.

Hope to learn what the logic is here...

I’m not sure what the standard configuration is from the factory, but it can be configured through the interface. I switched things so that all downloads go to my Terra.

Where is that setting? When I added my Terra to my Strato/Alto pairing, I don't recall seeing that setting. I've since paired the system with a Premier server and I can see a setting that asks which system to send SD and HD downloads to but not a specific component. (side note, I hope if this setting is set to one system and then that system is full, that it automatically switches to the other...?

I'm going to ask some of my teammates about this. I would expect the Terra example in particular to behave differently.

How are you guys determining which player is getting the downloads?

How are you guys determining which player is getting the downloads?
I looked at the free space on both my stratos before doing some downloads (web interface, components tab) and compared it to space remaining on each drive when the downloads were finished. Became obvious where the new downloads were going.

Last edited:
In an Encore system, the download policy should be as follow:

For SD/HD content (and assuming space is available on the target device):
1. Terra
2. Alto
3. Strato

For UHD content:
1. Terra
2. Strato

In essence, all downloads should to to the Terra unless it is full.

Beyond the setting determining where HD/SD downloads go in a Co-Star paired system, there is no setting to direct downloads to a specific device.

Thanks John. What happens in a Co-Star paired system if the Premier system runs out of space for HD/SD, does it automatically flip to using the Encore system for those downloads? (and vice versa I guess)

What happens in a Co-Star paired system if the Premier system runs out of space for HD/SD, does it automatically flip to using the Encore system for those downloads? (and vice versa I guess)

In either scenario, the download queue would be paused (for both systems since they have a shared queue). The downloads will not automatically switch to a different system as this could lead to confusion. For example, if the customer is expecting all SD/HD downloads to go to the Premiere system it may be because they have some Premiere-only zones. If a download switched to the Encore system, that content would not be available to those zones.

Ok, thanks John, that makes sense now you’ve explained it (y)

Just to update everybody on the download destinations, we looked into both Josh and Mootang's situations.

In the case of Mootang, once the Terra was fully set up and added to the system, all downloads began going to the Terra, as expected.

In Josh's case, it looks like he has actually discovered a bug in the download-steering logic that affects a system with a mix of Strato and Strato-S. Downloads in this case should go to whichever component has more free space (so that they will naturally equalize over time), but that's not currently happening. We'll get that fixed.

Thanks @MikeKobb, @J.Green, and the engineering response team at Kaleidescape! Glad to hear this offhand question and observation proved helpful. Let me know if I can be of any assistance as the fix is tested.
--josh

@MikeKobb - never heard back on this. My system is now showing one of my strato's at 100% full and the other at 2%! Is this bug fixed? Will my system ever rebalance itself or is it stuck this way? While I guess it shouldn't matter to me much in practice, there's something about it being so unbalanced that bothers me.

Hi Josh,

I took a look just now and confirmed that the issue has been fixed, but the fix has not yet been deployed. It should be deployed within the next month or so.

Once the fix is deployed, it will only affect future downloads. So, if you still had space on both players, you would start to see all the downloads going to the one with the most space until they were balanced. Since you have one player that is completely full, even without this fix, all future downloads will go to the other player. The system will not attempt to re-balance content proactively.

Back