• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Does Size Matter?

Noah Winter

Recently I was looking for the best copy of the movie “Bugsy” and discovered it has never been released on Blu-ray and is only available in the K store as SD. I understand that 4K movies in the store come from Mezzanine(sp?) files and therefore they are often larger files than found on 4K discs. This presumably leads to better video quality. My understanding of HD and SD movies in the K store is that these are simply bit for bit copies of Blu-ray and DVD discs.

On a whim I checked on Vudu and found an HDX version for Bugsy. I read that the average file size for HDX films are around 8 GBs. The DVD size for Bugsy is also around 8 GBs. The size of the movie in the K Store is 11.6 GBs. Almost 50% larger than the DVD and the HDX. Both the K SD file and the HDX offer the same 5.1 audio.

I then checked another title, “Cat Ballou”. The DVD is 4.2 GBs while the K Store is 8.7 GBs.

So, I have two questions:

Do the SD and HD titles in the K store provide superior video performance due to their larger files size than their DVD and HD equivalents? I have not read of this claim before. This assumes a 12’ screen in an environment-controlled room if that helps.

Secondly, would the picture quality be better, assuming a good high-speed internet connection, for the HDX version from Vudu/MA or the SD version from the K-store?

All thoughts are welcome.

Thank you.

I'm going to studiously ignore your question about picture quality comparisons between our store versions and Vudu's HDX versions. It's not my area of expertise and I am, clearly, biased.

What I *can* tell you is that our store version of Bugsy is larger because there's actually two media objects -- the movie ("Disc 1" if you like) and the extras (or "Disc 2"). The SD version from our store would be bit-for-bit equivalent to a DVD. Given the file size, it's likely that the Vudu version doesn't include all of the materials from the supplement disc (or they have compressed them).

As for "Cat Ballou", the situation is similar. There are two "discs" included, in this case a Widescreen and Cropped version of the movie.

Love that movie! We did it as the school play, given my amazing acting skills I was tasked with playing a number of characters, namely dead goons and a boxer 🤣 thankfully this was well before the time of most camcorders let alone anything else 🥳😂

We did film the Friday indoor 5-a-side soccer league I ran but one of the lads’ mums borrowed the video tape; never to be seen again! Not sure if that is a a good or a bad thing! 🤔 would have been circa 1994-5

Back