• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Disney Pulling Back on 4k Disc Releases

TrackZ

I hope this does not impact K. Likely depends on the studio process for creating the different versions of a movie. (Disney+, iTunes, VUDU, etc.). Example, if the process for creating the physical disc 4K file also includes a process for getting K the full res copy files.. Might be good to hear from K directly that this doesn’t impact them!

Given we have 370+ titles in 4k never slated for 4k disc release hopefully means that the studios will continue to make digital sources of the same high fidelity as today. Kaleidescape can continue to encode those sources at a higher delivery fidelity than Apple, Vudu, and others do so we continue to get what are getting.

Given that streaming services all have different bitrates for their streams, it's most likely that the studios are providing them with the same (or similar) mezzanine files that KScape gets, rather than the studios providing them with already highly compressed files, it's just they further compress them much more than KScape does before offering them for sale. I'm pretty sure Apple has said they do their own compression as well, so that would confirm this. If indeed the case, I don't think the lack of physical discs will have any effect on KScape at all.

It also seems that Amazon Prime has dropped support for Dolby Atmos/Vision. Not sure how much content was available with Atmos, I am only aware of "Jack Ryan", checked yesterday and indeed there is no Atmos soundtrack anymore.

A member in another forum received the following answer from support: "We are unable to fix this because it is all about the licenses. I hope you understand and I am again sorry for the circumstances.".

Reactions: HCS
Kaleidescape for the win!

True lies! Love how that gets a mention, hopefully that means good things

We should be happy with a Disney digital focus being Kaleidescape customers. I presume many things will hit Disney+ in parallel with EST at iTunes, Kaleidescape, and others. I could care less how much Disney pulls out of theaters or physical disc. I don't go to the theater and don't buy discs.

I'd like to see Disney start to support disc to digital pricing. They recently started this trend with iTunes (all their content is now available in 4K HDR in iTunes now and is a completely free upgrade if you have any of their titles in your library from before from ANY vendor), so was hoping to see they'd open it up for K as well (they are one of the few majors that doesn't support it).

I'd like to see Disney start to support disc to digital pricing. They recently started this trend with iTunes (all their content is now available in 4K HDR in iTunes now and is a completely free upgrade if you have any of their titles in your library from before from ANY vendor), so was hoping to see they'd open it up for K as well (they are one of the few majors that doesn't support it).
Yes definitely, this would be great.

However, I doubt that it is Disney who proactively started this trend with iTunes. I suspect that the free upgrade to 4K HDR is Apple driven and most probably they absorb the cost.

Just wait for a Disney sale. They seem to happen frequently and I’ve pretty much upgraded all to 4K based upon these sales...

Just wait for a Disney sale. They seem to happen frequently and I’ve pretty much upgraded all to 4K based upon these sales...
Unfortunately I wasn't that patient :)

They are indeed frequent and with more titles in scope since Fox's(Twentieth Century now) integration.

Yes definitely, this would be great.

However, I doubt that it is Disney who proactively started this trend with iTunes. I suspect that the free upgrade to 4K HDR is Apple driven and most probably they absorb the cost.
I doubt it. Apple has been offering free upgrades to 4K for a LONG time now. Disney wasn't even allowing for 4K in iTunes. This just recently changed and the free update was offered. So I think this has more to do with Disney being okay with it than Apple funding it.

I doubt it. Apple has been offering free upgrades to 4K for a LONG time now. Disney wasn't even allowing for 4K in iTunes. This just recently changed and the free update was offered. So I think this has more to do with Disney being okay with it than Apple funding it.
Indeed Disney has finally allowed 4K in iTunes but the free upgrade should be an Apple initiative. I believe that no other vendor is offering free or cheaper(if HD version owned) resolution upgrades for any studio, only Apple has done it free of charge with most(if not all) content. Anyway, really great news for all Apple TV users.

Worth mentioning that in many cases K's resolution upgrade pricing(when available) is cheaper than Vudu or close to it.

as the topic is about Disney any sign about recorrect the audio in Fox title Ford vs Ferrari is top of my list just wait the immersive codec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True lies! Love how that gets a mention, hopefully that means good things
Why wait when you can get the Spanish blu ray version on Amazon 😉

Attachments

• 939164D5-1048-41A4-94F7-623FBF1FC5DC.jpeg
    939164D5-1048-41A4-94F7-623FBF1FC5DC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Back