• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Disks

bdo21

Hi everyone,

To cut a long story short, I ended up (unintentionally really) removing two drives (7 and 8) from my K5000 server. I put the drives back in but I may have put them in the the wrong way round. I then received the email notification below:

A hard disk drive in 3U Server serial number xxxxxx has failed. The system is rebuilding using another disk cartridge already installed in the system. The disk cartridge containing the failed disk should be replaced as soon as possible

Do I need to worry about this?

Thank you!

Also, the server webpage now says “The disk in slot 2 is 4% rebuilt.” I removed the disks which are 7th and 8th from the left.

I’m not sure what is happening! Any advice gratefully received!!

How full was your server? Was the drive in slot 2 blinking prior to this? It sounds like one of the drives removed had content on it and when you removed it, the hot spare drive (slot 2) became active in the array and the rebuild process began on that drive. Do you have another drive blinking blue now (indicating that it is the new hot spare)? I think that one of the two removed drives is probably toast but the other might still be usable. I will leave it up to others to advise on the best course of action. But for now, leave it alone and let the re-build finish.

If your drives were okay before the mistake, just put them back in and leave it alone. Your hot spare is rebuilding (as AW noted above). You may be okay, you'll have to wait for the rebuild to be sure. The message you received is normal. The drive bays do NOT matter, drives can go back in any order, so that's not a problem. When everything completes, you can check with K support to verify the status of the system.

Jim

Thank you both. The server was only 50-60% full. It says the disk rebuild is 35% complete this morning - it looks like it will take 2-3 days? Disks 1-7 are solid blue and the eight disk is flashing blue.

I’ll check with Kaleidescape support once it is done.

Thanks!

You should be fine, what you are seeing is normal. You can check with K if you want to be sure, but I believe your system is fine. Having that available storage was very helpful to your system, you're lucky!

Jim

For future reference in case anyone else is interested, my system is fine now - the disk rebuild process completed within 72hrs and all seems functional. I checked with Kaleidescape support and they confirmed it was all okay.

Thanks for the advice in this thread!

Nice, glad you are okay! Thanks for the update.

Jim

As one last follow-up on this for others, I'm pretty sure that there's no wrong order to the drives in a premier server... you can put them back in any order. They don't need to be in the same slots as they were when they were removed from the server.

As one last follow-up on this for others, I'm pretty sure that there's no wrong order to the drives in a premier server... you can put them back in any order. They don't need to be in the same slots as they were when they were removed from the server.

This is correct.

Back