• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Disc to Digital Questions and Issues

Sonicom

First off, Disc to Digital is absolutely phenomenal! For the most part, my system catalogues my discs without issue. I do have a couple of questions and issues, however. In some imports, there is no title that is recognized for the disc and the import shows as only a number. For example: 883316734483 and 888574564773 are being displayed when I import two discs. The discs play absolutely fine on a typical player and they are totally clean. Both discs show the option to "Enter Info", which I am just about to do. Just curious as to why a number is displayed and not a title, like my other imports.

Also, I have imported a number of discs for which there is no current offering for in the Kaleidescape Movie Store. When and if these films become available, will the Movie Store just automatically recognize them and show me a digital offer? Or does disc to digital only work when there is already a matching title in the store?

Now, pricing. I am amazed at how varied the disk to digital discount actually is and little the discount is for a title that you already purchased and own (I am looking at you, Disney! ;) )
Does the Disc to Digital offering price fluctuate? Does the price at which it is offered eventually go down after the original offer? When items go on sale, does that affect your outstanding digital offers?
Will Soul, Inside Out, and Coco ever go down in price or is $21.67 as good as it gets?

Thanks all, for any insight and experiences that you can share.

Cheers!
Sonicom

First off, Disc to Digital is absolutely phenomenal! For the most part, my system catalogues my discs without issue. I do have a couple of questions and issues, however. In some imports, there is no title that is recognized for the disc and the import shows as only a number. For example: 883316734483 and 888574564773 are being displayed when I import two discs. The discs play absolutely fine on a typical player and they are totally clean. Both discs show the option to "Enter Info", which I am just about to do. Just curious as to why a number is displayed and not a title, like my other imports.

Also, I have imported a number of discs for which there is no current offering for in the Kaleidescape Movie Store. When and if these films become available, will the Movie Store just automatically recognize them and show me a digital offer? Or does disc to digital only work when there is already a matching title in the store?

Now, pricing. I am amazed at how varied the disk to digital discount actually is and little the discount is for a title that you already purchased and own (I am looking at you, Disney! ;) )
Does the Disc to Digital offering price fluctuate? Does the price at which it is offered eventually go down after the original offer? When items go on sale, does that affect your outstanding digital offers?
Will Soul, Inside Out, and Coco ever go down in price or is $21.67 as good as it gets?

Thanks all, for any insight and experiences that you can share.

Cheers!
Sonicom

Usually it will grab the name assigned to the disc, so if you're seeing numbers, the manufacturer likely used the number (looks like a UPC code) as the disc name.

Once you've entered the UPC code in the correct field using the local web interface (or via the on-screen interface), KScape will be notified of an unknown DVD / BD, and MAY try to match it. Check again after a week or so, and see if the entry has updated.

Once the local database on your Strato / Terra has synced with the website, it will store all the catalogued discs, and offer you D2D as they become available. So yes, if your movie isn't offered today, it may come in the future.

D2D discounts sometimes gets corrected, but usually due to error. Most studios have their own discount percentage. So no, Disney's movies won't go down on D2D until Disney says so, so likely never. Best bet is to get those movies on sale instead.

Usually it will grab the name assigned to the disc, so if you're seeing numbers, the manufacturer likely used the number (looks like a UPC code) as the disc name.

Once you've entered the UPC code in the correct field using the local web interface (or via the on-screen interface), KScape will be notified of an unknown DVD / BD, and MAY try to match it. Check again after a week or so, and see if the entry has updated.

Once the local database on your Strato / Terra has synced with the website, it will store all the catalogued discs, and offer you D2D as they become available. So yes, if your movie isn't offered today, it may come in the future.

D2D discounts sometimes gets corrected, but usually due to error. Most studios have their own discount percentage. So no, Disney's movies won't go down on D2D until Disney says so, so likely never. Best bet is to get those movies on sale instead.
So it can literally take up to a week for manually edited entries to sync? Interestingly, I tried both of these discs again (Godfather, Raiders of the Lost Ark) and they worked. But some of the other films that displayed as a number required manual editing of the title. Does this mean no one has imported this disc before and Kscape does not have it in their database?

So it can literally take up to a week for manually edited entries to sync? Interestingly, I tried both of these discs again (Godfather, Raiders of the Lost Ark) and they worked. But some of the other films that displayed as a number required manual editing of the title. Does this mean no one has imported this disc before and Kscape does not have it in their database?

Unknown discs can take a while, yes. Known discs sync within minutes, and you'll see D2D offers pop up in your store account.
Discs often come out in different editions (think "Steelbook", "Deluxe", "Director's Cut") and different country releases. So it's not unusual that a certain disc isn't recognized right away.

For example, I catalogued this DVD on OCT 28, and it still hasn't been added by KScape. I added the UPC code and completed one of the main actors, so they could find it easier.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 10.43.41.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 10.43.41.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 12
For example, I catalogued this DVD on OCT 28, and it still hasn't been added by KScape. I added the UPC code and completed one of the main actors, so they could find it easier.
This looks like a pretty rare film. Are there ever situations in which the film is never ever added? Also, is there a difference in the disc to digital discount that you receive when you catalog a dvd vs a blu-ray?

This looks like a pretty rare film. Are there ever situations in which the film is never ever added? Also, is there a difference in the disc to digital discount that you receive when you catalog a dvd vs a blu-ray?
Haven't seen a non-add so far, for commercial DVD / BD discs that is.
Yes, DVD will give smaller discounts than BD. Depends if you're upgrading to a 4K or HD movie. But again, discounts are set by the studios that own the rights.

I had a version of 12 years a slave on BR but it would only register as a DVD on the store. Came from being slightly different given it was a UK or Euro disc. It was meant to get fixed but then I think I bought the HD version by accident LOL.

But I did use to see it a lot where some UK/Euro discs don't show up as D2D but the films are there. Support have helped resolve though in the past. Special's and Criterion versions for instance like @SimonSays above tend to be the most likely candidates

I paid $24.59 for D2D in October 2021. I believe the full price back then was $29.99. Now I see the full price is $19.99. I would estimate the D2D to be around $14-$16.

I paid $24.59 for D2D in October 2021. I believe the full price back then was $29.99. Now I see the full price is $19.99. I would estimate the D2D to be around $14-$16.
Thank you!

Anyone that can confirm new price as well would be greatly appreciated!

My only HBO TV Series comparable is ROME
Seasons 1 and 2, which are $20.93 D2D (I own on BD)…..

Thank you!

Anyone that can confirm new price as well would be greatly appreciated!

My only HBO TV Series comparable is ROME
Seasons 1 and 2, which are $20.93 D2D (I own on BD)…..
TV series D2D discounts are a few dollars only in general. It is usually best to wait for a sale or hope they create a content set for the entire series.

The 4th season is now on Max. While at it, can we also get that to the store? ;)

Back