• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Disc to Digital Pricing

nikto34

Hello. New to the Kaleidescape platform so this may have been covered but I have not found any info.
Been working to catalog my Blu-ray collection. Trying to understand the Disc to Digital pricing. With several of my titles so far (older movies), I am finding the digital pricing is the same or more than I paid for the disc. I am having a hard time understanding this and rationalizing spending the same or more money just for the convience of not putting the disc in my blu-ray player. Would expect that the digital offer should always be less if you own the disc already. I can understand it more if you are going up in quality to 4K but when it is HD to HD it seems strange. Am I missing something or not understanding the program?

You are not missing anything. The d2d pricing is determined by the studio, not K. With studios like Warner Bros. or Lionsgate, you typically see pretty reasonable pricing to get the download. But, others like MGM and Disney usually ask you to pay more for the digital version than what you paid for the disc. My vault is full of MGM and Disney discs that I’m waiting to upgrade when they eventually go on sale .

Andy

You are not missing anything. The d2d pricing is determined by the studio, not K. With studios like Warner Bros. or Lionsgate, you typically see pretty reasonable pricing to get the download. But, others like MGM and Disney usually ask you to pay more for the digital version than what you paid for the disc. My vault is full of MGM and Disney discs that I’m waiting to upgrade when they eventually go on sale .

Andy
Thanks! That is helpful and glad to know I was not missing something.

Greetings, this is Heather Grundeman, I head up the Customer Engagement team at Kaleidescape. While we strive to provide a reasonable price to transition your disc catalog to digital, some content providers do not discount or lower the price of their films. We continue to work with these content providers and will always pass on any price discounts to the customer. Thank you!

I've had very good luck with discounts on movies I own on blu-ray, with the sole exception of anything in the Disney catalog (including Marvel movies, of course). Many of the Pixar, Disney studios and Marvel movies I'll wait on until they go on sale.

What IS the price for a disc-to-digital "upgrade" for a Marvel movie? I'm trying to get my hands on an Alto to catalog my disc library (still very new to Kaleidescape," but if Marvel upgrades aren't worth it, then maybe I should just buy them while they're on sale right now.

I would recommend buying them now. I’m new to KScape and got an Alto in mid January 2022 to upgrade my disc catalog to digital. Great deals except for the Marvel movies. The digital upgrade was only (at the time I was upgrading) a few dollars off of regular pricing. For example, if Black Panther was priced at $24.99, the disc to digital was $21.99. I ended up holding off on many of my Marvel purchases until this week when the entire catalog went on sale.

I own all the Marvel movies already, but but based on what I'm seeing on several Disney titles the Blu-ray disc to digital pricing is either $17.07 (to get the HD download) or $21.67 (to get the HDR download). Since Disney owns the Marvel content, I believe you would see similar pricing. Below is one example.

Andy

1646355784055.png

The current promotional prices are definitely very attractive, and were lower than the regular disc-to-digital prices on a couple of titles that I spot-checked (which were in line with what Andy posted).

Quick noob question. Is there typically a pricing difference between the dvd disc to digital pricing vs blu ray disc to digital pricing?

Thanks,

Mike

Is there a pricing structure anywhere or do you need to insert disc to find out cost?

Check out the video on my channel. I show pricing for a dozen or so titles from various studios. I also have another video done where I show pricing for a variety of other situations (such as DVD, TV series, more studies, and so on).

Is there a pricing structure anywhere or do you need to insert disc to find out cost?
It's really a per-title thing, because licensors may have different pricing even within their own catalogs based on things like recency of release and so on.

Back