• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Disc to Digital Price Reduction

I initially had the upgrades all listed as the $29 price in the Kscape store. I figured since the disc to digital "sale" was going on through the end of 2020, I'd just wait to see if the movies went on sale at maybe a better price.

I tested the proveribal waters by upgrading the first two Hobbit movies from disc to digital HD/blu-ray quality on the K-scape store. I'd read the posts where that was unlocking the $15.99 price for 4K. It took about half a day, but eventually, those movies did unlock at that price, but only the standard editions. The extended editions were still $29.

Today, the prices were lower for all 6 movies, standard and extended editions. Buying the extended editions also gave me the standard editions as well. No secret codes required (unless my kids did it :))

Here is the current pricing I see.

I don’t own The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies.

8aaee5a4cd743f8139a1903a87ed8f2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I initially had the upgrades all listed as the $29 price in the Kscape store. I figured since the disc to digital "sale" was going on through the end of 2020, I'd just wait to see if the movies went on sale at maybe a better price.

I tested the proveribal waters by upgrading the first two Hobbit movies from disc to digital HD/blu-ray quality on the K-scape store. I'd read the posts where that was unlocking the $15.99 price for 4K. It took about half a day, but eventually, those movies did unlock at that price, but only the standard editions. The extended editions were still $29.

Today, the prices were lower for all 6 movies, standard and extended editions. Buying the extended editions also gave me the standard editions as well. No secret codes required (unless my kids did it :))

The extended edition comment is the only thing that didn’t ring true for me. Purchased the Hobbit extended edition and did not receive the standard edition. Price was 5 bucks or so (Canadian store) when I put the disc back in. My OCD of previously removing the disc from the catalog perspective when I purchased HD has caused me some grief and money here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So did my daily check. Just got all the Hobbit movies for the $4ish dollar disc to digital pricing, so those are all good now (both theatrical and extended). Return of the King Extended now shows NO discount for disc to digital if I just put the disc in, full $36. So that actually went UP since last time I tried. So something weird with that one still. That is the only one I have left to get, so will wait for the price to get fixed and in line with the rest.

So for Hobbit, if I own regular blu ray discs, I can get both extended and standard editions for around $4? Or do I have to have the extended versions?

I'm not sure how this all gets so confusing, but clearly it is to many owners. Owners are reporting different price offers for the same Hobbit content, with variations in resolution and audio. When I checked my system, I already own the extended HDR/Atmos versions of the Hobbit movies, and my offers also show that I own the UHD HDR version of the same movies with the option to add Atmos for $15.99. While there is likely some logic behind these differences, I don't see it. (I know the Studios affect these things as well, but still confusing to owners.)

Jim

I'm not sure how this all gets so confusing, but clearly it is to many owners. Owners are reporting different price offers for the same Hobbit content, with variations in resolution and audio. When I checked my system, I already own the extended HDR/Atmos versions of the Hobbit movies, and my offers also show that I own the UHD HDR version of the same movies with the option to add Atmos for $15.99. While there is likely some logic behind these differences, I don't see it. (I know the Studios affect these things as well, but still confusing to owners.)

Jim

It looks like to me the price varies based on a “Digital Upgrade” offer and a “Disc to Digital” offer.

For example, I have the first Hobbit movie which I had previous did a “Disc to Digital” offer on. After I did that upgrade, I removed the “cataloged” physical disc version from my system. So for that movie it shows I can do a “Digital Upgrade” to the Theatrical Version only for $15.99, while the Extended Edition was still the full $36.99.

For the second Hobbit movie, it was showing the exact same “Digital Upgrade” offers as the first movie. But this time I added the physical disc back into the Alto, and “cataloged” the movie again. With the “physical disc” cataloged I now get the “Disc to Digitals” offers to buy either the Theatrical or Extended version for $4.42.

So it looks like to me, to get the $4 deal, you need to have the physical disc cataloged in the system. That way you get the “Disc to Digital Offers” which is way cheaper than the “Digital Upgrade Offers”. And the “Disc to Digital” offer applied to both versions of the movie, even when you only have one version on disc.

a0f2ed18f3aadface02922cbfedc0528.png

I think one of the issues is that many of us delete the disc once we have upgraded from that disc. Never thinking that it might be needed again for a lower price option in upgrading again!

@ccool, agreed, and understood, I'm just illustrating why this is confusing to owners. I get one or two questions on this weekly, especially when there are sales in the store. Forum members have the ability to figure these things out and share findings on the forum, but there are many owners that are not forum regulars, and they remain confused. I would like to see this process simplified, to hopefully eliminate the confusion (but I'm not sure that's even possible given the multiple entities involved).

Jim

@ccool, agreed, and understood, I'm just illustrating why this is confusing to owners. I get one or two questions on this weekly, especially when there are sales in the store. Forum members have the ability to figure these things out and share findings on the forum, but there are many owners that are not forum regulars, and they remain confused. I would like to see this process simplified, to hopefully eliminate the confusion (but I'm not sure that's even possible given the multiple entities involved).

Jim

I agree. It’s certainly not clearly illustrated. This needs to be improved. I was confused myself.

Not to confuse things further, but previous DVD to HD purchases have an HDR upgrade path for the grand price of $8.08.

Attachments

• 864BF060-9CAB-4201-9AA2-7751E1AAED79.jpeg
    864BF060-9CAB-4201-9AA2-7751E1AAED79.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
I am a new Strato S owner. If I own discs... and figure out a vault purchase, that will allow me to download the file version of the disc to my Strato?

I think the vault only allows you to play the disc and sends it through the Strato. It will also allow you to catalog the disc, so it shows up on your Kscape movies as a title you own.

In order to get a digital copy of the movie downloaded to your Strato though, you'll need to purchase the title as a "disc to digital" upgrade via the Kscape movie store.

I am a new Strato S owner. If I own discs... and figure out a vault purchase, that will allow me to download the file version of the disc to my Strato?

Yes if there is a disk to digital option on the title. Not all titles carry this option though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, a Strato can only play DVDs from the Vault. Blurays can be inserted to catalog but you would need something like an Alto if you wanted to play them. Also, would require costar for complete integration. SJ

I cataloged my Full Metal Jacket Blu Ray Disc on K a few days ago - it started showing up as a 4.42 upgrade to 4K HDR.
Today it is back to 15.99.
K had promised that all these upgrade prices will be held until end December 2020 - not sure if they will keep this promise.

Return of the King still shows a $37 disc to digital price today. Gonna contact K on Monday and see what’s going on.

Hey Everyone -

I have had several questions about pricing on the Middle-earth movies.

The root of these price differences: Different things are on sale at different times.

Currently we are running a promotion that offers special pricing specifically on disc-to-digital purchases.

Luke

Hey Everyone -

The root of these price differences: Different things are on sale at different times.

Currently we are running a promotion that offers special pricing specifically on disc-to-digital purchases.

Luke
Luke,
Also I have seen a number of D2D or Digital Offers which were reduced to 4.42 such as full metal jacket - is now reverted to 15.99 - It was promised that this pricing will stay until end December... please.
There are more ... but I don't remember exactly whose price is gone up.
Can you look it it.
Thanks

Hey Everyone -

Luke
Dracula,, Focus, Green Room, expendables...
And I am on a roll cataloging my BD's at the letter L so many more to go - it would be nice if the prices were held as promised.

Back