• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Disc to Digital on Strato idea

Just about to place the order for our first Kaleidescape after toying with the idea for a while now and this disk to digital offer is key to making it viable really as we have a lot of disks - 4k, Blu ray HD, etc. but the current solution of the manufacturer having no formal solution other than the user buying an old and second hand bit of kit hardly fits in with the brand positioning of Kaleidescape. I understand the licensing issue they have to overcome but it's a bizarre suggestion isn't it?

Obviously a simple scan/photo/etc app solution would look slick and be ideal but isn't there a simpler solution in the meantime that the retailer selling/installing the Kaleidescape could validate the existing collection at the point of Kaleidescape purchase/install and then that validated list can be drawn down against later whenever the user wants to shift it across (i.e. someone with 700-800 disks probably doesn't want to do it all at once and even more likely they may change their mind later:)) If the purchase doesn't include install (most of those I have spoken to have been as part of a wider installation but perhaps thats not the case elsewhere). Regardless of the need for direct sale solutions, the dealer/installers surely are in an ideal position to validate the collection and if required, simple scan barcode movie collector apps already exist and could easily be adapted. I used to use one for our original DVD collection..

I am guessing most on here are used to this wrinkle and are past the point where its an issue but as a 'newbie', or 'about-to-bie' it does seem odd.

Back when K was part of UltraViolet it was not as big of a deal since you could enter your digital codes with an online retailer like Vudu, and then download movies from qualifying studios on the K Store. Of course there were some studios who did not participate, but it eased the pain of only having to rebuy a few titles. I buy pretty much all my movies through the K store now, but would love to see Movies Anywhere do what it takes to get K on board so I can watch my growing library when on vacation (or otherwise away from my K system). This would also allow yourself and others looking to jump on the K train to have an easy way to qualify disc to digital offers.

It sure feels like the Movies Anywhere ship has sailed considering how much time has passed, but we can dream... right?

Andy

When Movies Anywhere was first launching, a K employee said the following, "We do plan to have support in the future, and we look forward to working with them."

That's been over 4 years ago now. I really would love to see MA support.

The last info from Kaleidescape related to MA that I recall was in this thread from Cheena:

“Lon,

We don't comment on rumors, speculation, or concerns, and certainly not in a public forum. I can assure you that we understand your desire for the portability of purchased titles across devices and services. I can also confirm that we're making progress albeit not as fast as you wish, and perhaps not exactly the way you want the problem solved. Please understand that when we can't say something, it is implied that there isn't anything meaningful to share. We love you and thank you for your support.

Cheena”

Much less commital than the above post. This part always stood out to me: “not exactly the way you want the problem solved”. To me, that always implied that we weren’t getting full MA integration.

I know a lot of owners would still like K to work with MA. (I deleted an earlier comment because David23 was kind enough to "school me" in private!:giggle:)

Jim

Don’t get me wrong, I still want it, too!

I’m just not expecting it at this point.

I'm new to the Kscape ecosystem (theater is still being built), and I've got to say that this is a terrible first impression. D2D was highlighted as a key feature of the system. My dealer promised to lend me an Alto as soon as the last guy was done with it. It took a couple months, but I was in no rush. The Alto is so old that it wouldn't recognize my 4K discs and it's been discontinued for years. The machine itself looked ancient. Still, I went through disc by disc and catalogued everything. When I was done, I had to ship the Alto back which wiped out most of the money I saved from D2D in the first place! I don't know how Kscape can actively market D2D when the only way to take advantage of it is to borrow a machine they don't even manufacture anymore.

I'm new to the Kscape ecosystem (theater is still being built), and I've got to say that this is a terrible first impression. D2D was highlighted as a key feature of the system. My dealer promised to lend me an Alto as soon as the last guy was done with it. It took a couple months, but I was in no rush. The Alto is so old that it wouldn't recognize my 4K discs and it's been discontinued for years. The machine itself looked ancient. Still, I went through disc by disc and catalogued everything. When I was done, I had to ship the Alto back which wiped out most of the money I saved from D2D in the first place! I don't know how Kscape can actively market D2D when the only way to take advantage of it is to borrow a machine they don't even manufacture anymore.

Your dealer should have advised you that the Alto doesn’t “read” 4K discs - none of K’s hardware do. There is no direct access to 4K D2D, the only way is to upgrade either from DVD or Blu-ray, which is where the Alto comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your dealer should have advised you that the Alto doesn’t “read” 4K discs - none of K’s hardware do. There is no direct access to 4K D2D, the only way is to upgrade either from DVD or Blu-ray, which is where the Alto comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I did know that in advance. My point is that their solution is to rely on passing around an obsolete player that is so old it can't even recognize current gen disc formats.

No problem - sorry I misread your post. Agree if they are actively promoting (and I'm not sure it's the company - opposed to dealers who are using it as an added selling point. I know mine did many years ago, when it was actually workable) then a solution needs to be found.

Last edited:
I agree completely. The reality is that if they offered a simple viable solution (cataloguing app, retailer confirmation and photo etc. - the latter being low cost) I would think that most people would over a period of time 'update/upgrade' and the studios would get more cash for the title they have already sold. You can never be certain but I genuinely believe that would outweigh the smaller number of re-purchases today. Kaleidescape would turn one of the real 'mental' blocks to ownership into a real positive. It's all too obvious but they don't seem to be bothered which I do find odd as a newbie. The hard bit, which is I am sure getting the studios to agree to doing this at all has already been done. It's just a matter of creating a suitable process. They could make it a 'one-off' proofing event to create a validated list (to avoid people constantly buying second hand disks ad infinitum) and then let the owner upgrade those over time. (i.e. most I suspect have too many disks to choose to upgrade them all at once).

I can come up with all sorts of excuses that 'oh people would cheat' but the people that would cheat are already cheating and don't use or need a Kaleidescape to do it and why would they at it's price point? Not even received ours yet and this continues to niggle at us all here. Sure we will get over it :)

Back