• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Disc to Digital Offers

TrackZ

I had an older thread on this, but I have a new follow-up question.

I want to take advantage of disc to digital pricing some some titles. I only have a Strato. To convert discs to digital rights, I need some older K device with a drive capable of converting digital offers.

An Alto can do this. Can a Cinema One also do this? Are there any other prior devices to consider that can do this?

I'm basically looking for the cheapest avenue to buy an old, used device with the drive for conversion purposes. For the question above, I do NOT want to catalog or make the disc available for playback in my system. Just put in the disc, pay the $$$ to buy the digital right, then pull the disc forever more.

Thanks!

Yes a 2nd gen Cinema One would do the job. You would just set it up and register it with the same K account/ email address as your strato. You can enable on-screen purchases so that you could buy the upgrade with your remote just after putting the disc in the drive and having it recognized. The only hitch might be if you can't purchase a 4k upgrade on screen. If you want to buy the 4k upgrade, you will want to put the disc and choose the 'catalog disc' function and then go in to the k store and pull up the move. At that point you will be presented with all available upgrade offers including 4k (if available).

Last edited:
2nd gen looks like an Alto. 1st gen looks like a mini 3u server. 1st gen would work but only do DVDs since it can't read BRs.

OK.

Also, with regards to upgrades, if a I have the Blu-ray and there is a 4k entry in the store for that movie, once I catalog, I can just directly pay the 4k upgrade price (so $11.99 - $15.99 in many cases)? I wouldn't have to pay twice to first get the HD right then again for UHD?

And does the Cinema One work with the Co-star? So if I had some Blu-rays not in the store, I could catalog them, see them in my Strato UI when browsing, but if I trigger playback it'll prompt me to go put the disc in? At which time then the Cinema will play the disc and I only ever see or manage one UI?

Yes you choose what resolution you want to purchase. You don't have to purchase twice to get 4k. See below:

attachment.php

This a BD that I have in my vault, and these are the upgrade options when I pull up the movie in the store.

Cinema One does not work with costar. To do what you are describing would require a premiere server + a M500 at the minimum. Someone else can correct me if wrong.

Attachments

• store upgrade.jpg
    store upgrade.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 121
Thanks so much.

I presume an Alto would do the disc playback. I don’t think I really need that though. Just having a One to upgrade offers may be enough for my use.

In that workflow then, you put the disc in, catalog, remove the disc. Then go to a PC web store. If available and offer to buy will show up like you show there. Assuming you buy the offer, do you have to delete the disc ownership in some way? Like remove the catalog entry? Or does the store entry just inherently overwrite it in your account and UIs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you buy the offer, the title will show as owned in the store and the UI. The cataloged entry in the player will show the option to download the movie. You don't have to delete anything, but you can delete the cataloged entry if you feel like it. It will still show as owned in the store no matter what you do with the player. After upgrading you could throw the disc out and K will not care.

I assume this is the only way to move ones bluray collection to the Strato? Just purchased a Strato and assumed my Bluray and 4K discs could not be moved to Strato

The Alto can "catalog" as well, and once cataloged, if a digital offer exists for the cataloged title it will appear in your Digital Offers and will indicate what resolutions are available and the cost to upgrade.

Jim

Last edited:
Back