• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Disc in server keeps freezing/skipping

naylorman32

Hi forum,

I was trying to watch a movie tonight and about 20 mins it it kept skipping and losing audio for portions of the movie. i took it out of the server and it looks like a brand new disc.

Any suggestions?

I have had the same issue on occasion. The only thing I have been told is to clean the disc even if it looks clean and is new before inserting into the DV700! (which I have consistently failed to do)!

I had the same last night with a brand new BluRay. Will try eject and clean it (even tho it only inserted yesterday from brand new)

Tried cleaning to no avail, tho I've noticed my server seems to be finding more disks 'unreadable'

Could the server player be dirty or have an issue (the server is under a year old)

I bought a boxed set of DVD's on Amazon, and put all 8 discs into the server this morning. 4 catalogues fine, 4 were rejected unreadable. This was a brand new, sealed pack, and I cleaned each disc before insertion - do I have a problem with the vault? :(

You might have a problem with the optical drive. They always suggest the "clean the disc" solution first because that could be the cause, but we are seeing more an more new, clean, undamaged discs, being rejected by our systems, so obviously it is something else causing the problem. I've had my Vaults forcing ejections for "unreadable" "new" blu-ray discs that had previously been recognized without any problems. Support indicated it is likely an optical drive in the process of failing, so if your discs are clean and undamaged, look to the optical drive (and on occasion the rollers that feed the drive are too dirty to properly move the disc, and this results in additional fail codes).

Jim

so i tried mine again tonight and the problem persisted with the same movie. so Jim are you saying that the optical drive will essentially cause EVERY disc in the vault to act this way since its showing signs of failing? Any guidance would be appreciated. (really more reason why i wish i could go digital for every movie but we need to get the prices down to do so :) )

My Vault / Server is less than a year old, but even on reboot will now 'decide' that anything from 5 to 15 discs are unreadable and eject them. Most of the time I can just read the same discs and they work! I'll contact my dealer in the new year if it persists

Same problem here. Our vault hasn’t successfully imported a new disc in 6 months and every few days will eject one that had been fine before. KScape had us change the drive last spring and it improved for a short time but it is now doing the same thing.

You might have a problem with the optical drive. They always suggest the "clean the disc" solution first because that could be the cause, but we are seeing more an more new, clean, undamaged discs, being rejected by our systems, so obviously it is something else causing the problem. I've had my Vaults forcing ejections for "unreadable" "new" blu-ray discs that had previously been recognized without any problems. Support indicated it is likely an optical drive in the process of failing, so if your discs are clean and undamaged, look to the optical drive (and on occasion the rollers that feed the drive are too dirty to properly move the disc, and this results in additional fail codes).

Jim

I have had a similar issue with one difference....

Disks that have been in the vault for a year or more are suddenly unreadable and are ejected. Those same discs no longer will play in a bluray player either.... it's like a reoccurrence of "disc rot" that early CDs had.

Almost my entire BBC Planet Earth series of discs is no longer readable... and they have just been sitting in the disc vault (after being imported).

Mike

General degradation of the drive is my current issue as I have one of my vaults where a new drive is needed, stopped reading dvd's then cd's and now finally Blu Ray discs.

I have had a similar issue with one difference....

Disks that have been in the vault for a year or more are suddenly unreadable and are ejected. Those same discs no longer will play in a bluray player either.... it's like a reoccurrence of "disc rot" that early CDs had.

Almost my entire BBC Planet Earth series of discs is no longer readable... and they have just been sitting in the disc vault (after being imported).

Mike

Have you cleaned the discs properly?

I will try to give my experience from years of use and repairs of vaults...

1. Keep your vault clean e.g. in an area where minimal dust will enter through the front of the chassis.
If dust enters the vault it coats the discs and rollers on its way through the chassis before being ejected out the rear of the chassis this in turn transfers from the rollers to newly inserted discs and then can get inside the optical drive.
2. If your unit is out of warranty learn how to service the unit and clean the rollers etc. There is a document available to help with this so just ask your dealer.
3. Make sure it is installed 100% level.
4. If discs are being ejected after being in the vault for a long time it points back to number 1 (dust in the system has settled on the discs or gotten in to the optical drive) or the optical drive is failing.
5. Periodically put a DVD & Blu-ray lens cleaner through the system to keep the optical lens' clean.

If you are in the UK; the UK distributor will service in warranty & out of warranty units free of charge.

Lastly (and this is at your own risk)...

We had a dealer who was fed up of endless call outs to a vault every few months to clean rollers/optical lens. They installed a very fine mesh/fan filter to the front panel of the vault where the air is drawn in and this has been very successful in alleviating a lot of the cleaning duties needed. It was a very dusty site by the way.

Hope this helps someone.

Back