• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

disc failure on 3U server

dlittle

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Tonight I discovered that one of my hard drives failed in my new 3 U server. The web interface home page tells me that the drive is being rebuilt on the spare drive. Has anyone had this happen before? If so, how long does this process take? My 3U server has 14 two TB drives, with 17.7 TB used.

Also, how long does it take Kaleidescape to send a replacement drive?

Thanks!

It takes about 24 hours for the rebuild process. Kaleidescape is pretty fast on the drive replacement. My guess is that it will go out on Monday.

Although your system is being monitored by both K and your dealer, and one or both will see the failure and take appropriate action, you should still proactively reach out to your dealer, or K Support if your dealer is unresponsive.

A major benefit of the 3U is its ability to immediately replace the failed disk with the hot spare thereby limiting the time the system is compromised and reducing the possibilty of content loss.

The single most important thing the owner can do during a 3U disk failure (besides notifying your dealer or K) is actually to do nothing. Let the system rebuild and then carefully replace the failed disk with the replacement disk you will receive.

Your dealer may replace the disk for you, but if you are doing the replacement yourself, you should read the comments on proper disk handling (basically, don't mishandle/drop the disk, be cautious of static electricity, be sure it is properly "seated" in the slot when replaced). I would also add that you should be careful to not inadvertantly eject other disks in the Server while replacing the failed disk. (I had a client eject a good disk and start another rebuild when he inadvertantly hit the K logo on an adjacent disk while replacing a disk.)

Jim

Thanks for the advice. That does bring up a question I have. I've added many hard drives to my 5U servers over the years, so I am very familiar with ejecting those drives - i.e. pulling the upper part of the face down like a lever. Is it the same method to eject a 3U server disc?

To eject a disc you just press on the K scape logo and it will release.

Don't worry too much about system stability with the failed drive. The beauty of the type of RAID system they are using (before you get to the hot spare drive) is that one drive can fail and you are still fine. The problem arrives when the next drive fails. Now you have this hot spare- it gets the system rebuilt on to it when your first drive fails and now you have that same protection against disk failure.

If you need to remove a good disk, I would power down the whole server. Wait 30 seconds (though I am paranoid and Ill wait 60 seconds) and then pop the drive out. You don't want to remove the drive while the disk platter itself is spinning. So waiting the time gives it a chance to come to a stop. If the disk is failed already then its less of a concern.

Back