• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

digital cost for D2D cataloged discs

It doesn't tell you how much, but it will tell you below the price on each title whether a D2D discount is available...
View attachment 2389
Do you already have this movie Cataloged into your store account? When I click on movies in the movie store it doesn't say that it's disc to digital available. The only place I have been able to see that availability is through the disc search app where you scan the discs in, which gives you the UHD, HD, and SD prices but no price for D2D.

Definitely would support this feature being added as Im currently on line to receive an Alto from Jim, and also thought about buying one for myself, but would be better to know if the disc to digital price is going to be worth all the trouble beforehand, not after cataloguing.

Do you already have this movie Cataloged into your store account? When I click on movies in the movie store it doesn't say that it's disc to digital available. The only place I have been able to see that availability is through the disc search app where you scan the discs in, which gives you the UHD, HD, and SD prices but no price for D2D.
Not in the above example. If the price has an asterisk next to it, then that is the D2D price.
1640656376681.png

We actually have a process to generate a detailed report of all of the disc-to-digital purchases you can make for a system.

Go to this web page: Kaleidescape Extranet - Disc-to-Digital Conversion Report Request Form

Then just enter the email associated with your movie store account. There's a little bit of manual handling involved so it may take a day or two, but you'll receive a spreadsheet with a list of all of the eligible titles and the pricing for each.

Do disc to digital offers fluctuate in price based on holidays, award season etc.. Additionally would K be able to generate a master list of ALL d2d offers so that prior to cataloguing we would know if the chosen title is a less expensive option than the d2d price would be.

Do disc to digital offers fluctuate in price based on holidays, award season etc.. Additionally would K be able to generate a master list of ALL d2d offers so that prior to cataloguing we would know if the chosen title is a less expensive option than the d2d price would be.
Disc to Digital offers generally don't change according to holidays, award seasons, and the like. For example, there aren't seasonal sales or promotions that create lower disc-to-digital prices. Jim is correct that prices can change based on licensor pricing adjustments, but that's not something that happens on a schedule.

Typically, the disc-to-digital price is the lowest price we offer for a given movie. The exception is that sometimes, if there is a great sale on certain titles, the sale price can actually be lower than the disc-to-digital price for that movie. We always charge whatever price is most favorable to the customer, so in that situation, you'd pay the sale price if it was lower than the disc-to-digital price.

Regarding the second part of your question, you say, "we would know if the chosen title is a less expensive option than the d2d price would be". I'm not sure what you mean by that -- could you elaborate if it wasn't addressed above?

Thanks @MikeKobb. With that understanding, and the thought that if there is no D2D offer today, it's not likely there will be one in the future, I have been deleting cataloged discs that didn't have a D2D offer in the store.

I deleted a few accidentally and noticed that, once cataloged, D2D offers appear to remain in the store, even if the cataloged disc is deleted.

Is that correct, and the way it's supposed to work? If so, I'd really like to be able to delete the discs I've cataloged - as long as I will still have the digital offers for future consideration.

Last edited:
Typically, the disc-to-digital price is the lowest price we offer for a given movie. The exception is that sometimes, if there is a great sale on certain titles, the sale price can actually be lower than the disc-to-digital price for that movie.
I would expound on that to say that there are basically three groups, and it usually depends on the studio involved as to which bucket a title falls into...
  1. Those with really good D2D pricing, which will almost always be better than any sale or discount that comes along.
  2. Those with okay D2D pricing, and usually offer a little something extra off sale prices.
  3. More recently a faction splintered off from the previous group to offer rather poor D2D discounts and take-it-or-leave-it sale pricing. It's still better than normal, but that is as much a function of the poor regular discount as the sale price being that much lower.
With that understanding, and the thought that if there is no D2D offer today, it's not likely there will be one in the future,
There have been studios known to hold the D2D offer back, so unless the release has been in K's store for at least a year or two, you may not want to be too quick to pull that trigger.

Thank you all for the info..once again what it boils down to is cost of acquiring the device at current market value vs. # of discs utilizing d2d offers vs downloading direct from K. Current pricing appears to be Alto new/used $2k+, Cinema One 2nd gen $1k+, 1u server $1k+ depending on storage, K5000, K6000, M500 players $300-$500 + depending on model, Disc vault DV700/M700 $3k+ so on and so forth. At 500 discs at a savings of at least $5.00 per disc, for me the numbers work but would depend on the individual and his/her collection/wants and needs.

Very helpful @Transepoch. I was definitely deleting older cataloged discs where there was no offer, so that should be good.

As I've deleted other discs where there is an offer but I'm not a buyer (your group 3,) they continue to stay in the D2D or Digital offers sections. Am I correct that, once cataloged and offer made, I'm fine to delete the cataloged disc - and the offer remains (as long as the studio's agreement allows?)

As I've deleted other discs where there is an offer but I'm not a buyer (your group 3,) they continue to stay in the D2D or Digital offers sections. Am I correct that, once cataloged and offer made, I'm fine to delete the cataloged disc - and the offer remains (as long as the studio's agreement allows?)
No. If you delete a title that is catalogued on your system, the disc-to-digital pricing for that title in the store will not be available. There can sometimes be a small delay after deleting the title from your system where the digital offer is still listed.

I think there is a price difference on 2to2 for DVD vs HD catalog disks. Meaning a cataloged HD disk provide a bigger saving for d2d conversions.

I think there is a price difference on 2to2 for DVD vs HD catalog disks. Meaning a cataloged HD disk provide a bigger saving for d2d conversions.
You typically get a better D2D price if you have the Blu-ray vs. the DVD.

We actually have a process to generate a detailed report of all of the disc-to-digital purchases you can make for a system.

Go to this web page: Kaleidescape Extranet - Disc-to-Digital Conversion Report Request Form

Then just enter the email associated with your movie store account. There's a little bit of manual handling involved so it may take a day or two, but you'll receive a spreadsheet with a list of all of the eligible titles and the pricing for each.

Since altos and cinema1’s are impossible to come by (Canadian Distributor has one from K but refuses to lend it out) can we send a list of movies we own on bluray (not catalogued yet) to get an idea of whether it’s worth just picking up on sale while we wait?

K technical support told me I can switch the DVD region level up to 4 times and the Blu ray region

an indefinite number of times for a Cinema One. One would need to contact K tech support to do so.

Back