• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Difficulty Reading Movie

fritzcurtis

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
I have recently been getting this message ...Difficulty Reading Movie...message when watching movies on my system. Nothing has changed in my setup. My service is 500/500 with Adaptive QOS set on highest setting for all my K gear in my router. Any thoughts or tests I might run?

This happens from time to time, but given the various components in the chain of data movement, it can be difficult to isolate. It checking with K, the usual reply is "appears to be a network issue." I had this happen with a recent viewing of John Wick, it was the second time it was watched and it did not happen the first time, so logically not a content download issue.

It could also be a player is starting to have problems, or a drive with increasing read/write errors can cause these messages as well.

Jim

Glad you were able to sort it out so quickly!

Just a reminder for everyone since you mentioned your 500/500 service: the Internet is not involved in Movie playback at all. The Internet connection is used to download movies, to download Movie Guide updates and software updates, and to upload diagnostic information. But, it's designed so that it will work fine if there is no Internet connection at all. We have lots of systems on ships at sea, for example, or in RVs or aircraft.

As long as the movie you're playing is either imported, on an optical disc, or was downloaded completely (so that the cryptographic authorization step happened at the very end and it's not dimmed out in the OSD), no further connection is required to play that movie.

So, if you ever have a problem like this, look first at factors inside the house -- a failing Ethernet switch, a cable that got crunched somehow, a change to the house network configuration, etc.

Mike glad you mentioned this. I went to the internet to look up issues for slow LAN devices. My router enables Jumbo packets as well as a number of other options for speeding up the LAN. I have since played around with a couple of settings and am noticing huge performance pick up within my system. Especially since I am running 4 full 1U servers. Movies and menus pop up much quicker enabling some of these settings.

I have a Sonos system as well. The Sonos system had a network loop in it as well. This had a big effect on my K system. I eliminated the Sonos loop (one box plugging into the internet when its did not need to be) and it freed up a ton of speed. These network loops can cripple a LAN internally. Really hard to diagnose but for anyone with a Sonos system, there is likely a loop in there. Easy fix is to call Sonos and send them diagnostic log. They can tell you where the loop is instantly.

Back