• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Difference between Terra and Terra Prime

DrGonzo65

Anyone know what the main differences are between these? I hear "faster CPU" (which, I'm not sure what difference that makes if I'm not doing a lot of streams). I see that there's only a 1Gbps NIC.

I have a latest gen Strato player, and a 22TB Terra Prime HDD, and I am seeing my enjoyment lead to filling up the 22TB pretty soon. I just saw a really good deal on a 40TB Terra, and was wondering if I should jump on it. I only plan to have one player, so I don't need the 10 streams thing.

Questions:
1) Can I run both of these different Terra gens in one system?
2) Does the slower NIC affect only streams or does it affect downloading too? I imagine downloading would be affected.
3) Anything else I'm missing on key differences?

New board design and faster ethernet are the two main differences. The new board design may improve reliability and longevity, but that's NOT a Kaleidescape statement and remains to be seen. The ethernet is faster, but if you don't need a bunch of simultaneous streams, and don't care about download speeds, then the older Terra server should still be fine in your setup.

1. Yes, you can mix Terra's in the same system.
2. Downloading is faster for sure, if that matters to you.
3. Not really, but "newer" is usually better. :)

Jim

Please note that the faster downloads need at least 2.5Gb internet service and 2.5Gbe networking infrastructure to the new Terra Prime.

I believe both Terra and Terra Prime are rated at 10 streams.

“Faster processing” is not really explained. While at it, I don’t see why they wouldn’t design the new board around a faster processor. I am sure it is more capable than the older Terra. Is there a need for faster processing and will you see a difference? Remains to be seen. So far, we know the “faster processing” compliments the 2.5Gbe ethernet port for faster download speeds. I have read reports upwards of 1.3Gbps download speeds on the Terra Prime. It is far below the theoretical limit of the 2.5Gbe socket but a good 40% faster than the Terra speeds. Keep in mind that neither of the Terra can sustain such speeds indefinitely as they will hit the HDD writing bottlenecks (when writing data to the inner circles of the HDD spinning platters).

"Faster processing" show up in large systems and solid-state systems. Terra Prime HDD will download slightly faster than Terra, but is disk I/O limited. Terra Prime SSD, because of its faster disks, will download considerably faster, and it will support many more simultaneous playbacks. On large systems (e.g., 4x88TB), the UI will be noticeably snappier with Terra Prime than with Terra (both HDD).

Back