• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Definitive steps to preparing a server for resale

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
After seeing this thread, it struck me that it would be helpful to have a list of the steps needed to clear, reset, and sell a server to another users. Selfishly, I'll be needing these steps myself soon as I prepare to sell a 3U server.

Once all the content is replicated to a new server (if desired), what are the steps the original owner should take to sell it and make sure there's minimal hassle for the purchaser?

I believe the list includes:
  • "unregister" the server from the Kaleidescape Store account (?)
  • "divorce" the server from the original owner's system via the web interface
  • reset the server back to DHCP
  • have the drives re-initialized (? I forget if this is still required and if it still means the drive set has to go back to Kaleidescape to do it? Or can it now be done remotely?)
  • anything else? (does one need to reset a password on the server as well?)
Thanks in advance for anyone who can help make this list clear and put the steps in the proper order.

Solution
I'll put together a better list over the weekend but off of the top of my head, here's a list of things to do:

Premiere Line Components:
  • Reset network settings to DHCP (Settings>Components>Settings>Network)
  • Remove any Parental Control passcodes (Settings>Parental Controls for Movies)
  • Remove the Browser Interface password if set (Settings>Password)
  • For players: Re-enable IR control if disabled (Settings>Components>Settings>Control)
  • For servers: Unregister server from store account (Settings>General>Unregister System)
  • Delete all content and empty trash (if selling server with drives)
Premiere Line Disks:
  • If you're selling individual disks then you them re-initialized so that they can be integrated into...
I'll put together a better list over the weekend but off of the top of my head, here's a list of things to do:

Premiere Line Components:
  • Remove any Parental Control passcodes (Settings>Parental Controls for Movies)
  • Remove the Browser Interface password if set (Settings>Password)
  • For players: Re-enable IR control if disabled (Settings>Components>Settings>Control)
  • For servers: Unregister server from store account (Settings>General>Unregister System)
  • Delete all content and empty trash (if selling server with drives)
Premiere Line Disks:
  • If you're selling individual disks then you them re-initialized so that they can be integrated into the buyer's existing filesystem.
  • If you're selling the disks as a complete disk set, then re-initializing them isn't strictly required.
  • Re-initializing disks does require the disks to be sent to Kaleidescape and only disks that are still under warranty are eligible for re-initialization. There is a fee for this service.​
Encore Line Components
  • Remove the Browser Interface password if set (Settings>Passcode)
  • For players: Remove the Parental Control passcode (OSD: Menu>System>Settings>Parental Control)
  • For players: Remove the Passcode if set (OSD: Menu>System>Settings>Passcode)
  • For multi-device systems: Remove player/server from grouping (Settings>Components>Remove from System)
  • For players (once removed from system): Deactivate player (OSD: Menu>System>Settings>Activation>Deactivate player)
  • For players (once removed from system): Reset player to factory defaults (OSD: Menu>System>Settings>Advanced>Reset player...)
  • For servers: Unregister server from store account (Settings>General>Deactivate System)
  • Delete all content

Last edited:
Solution
This is correct. Disks in a Pemiere server that are not under warranty can only be sold as a set and not individually.

Correct, and there is a fee. (Check with K Support, the fee may have changed, but it was $250 for up to the first 5 disks, $30 each additional.)

Jim

Back