• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Copying discs

ppdoc

My kalidescape will be in really soon. What are the issues with disc copying. Are discs copy protected? Is there anything I need specifically to do. Are all discs copyable. How does Netflix and the other disc lending services deal with Kalidescape?

I appreciate the input. I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

My kalidescape will be in really soon. What are the issues with disc copying. Are discs copy protected? Is there anything I need specifically to do.

I am sure others will reply on this but here is my explanation, the KEAOS software enables you to import discs onto your server (through a license that Kscape has from the CCA (?). Their licensed software "breaks" the copy protection (legally). You will be able to do this with any of the (standard) DVD's you own...no Blu-ray (yet). You just put in the DVD and hit the import button and wait about 20 minutes or so. (1 or 2 minutes for a CD). (Note: some, but very few, discs take a LONG time which may be because they are scratched or are "poorly authored" - Kscapes website has details on poorly authored discs).

Either prior to install or shortly thereafter, you will sign a detailed agreement which essentially explains to you all the legal stuff related to this which in essence is that you will only do it for discs you own and not ones you borrow, rent, lose, etc. They want to ensure that you not only own, but have possession of every disc on your server...To the extreme point that if you "loan" a disc to someone that you will delete it from your server until you get it back. This is what allows them to sell this product because you are making a "backup" of your library.

By you signing this, combined with the security of the K-system, it is virtually impossible for you to mass-copy your collection and sell them on 5th Avenue or out of your van or distribute them outside of your home network...which is why K-scape has been able to withstand legal battles on the disc copy issue.

Are all discs copyable. How does Netflix and the other disc lending services deal with Kalidescape?

I appreciate the input. I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

In a nutshell, Netflix, etc. don't really deal with this at all. nothing could stop you from importing those DVD's that you rent other than the fact that you would be breaching the agreement that you sign :eek:

But seriously, that is why they make you sign it, to make sure you know that it is against your license to use the system in that fashion. The assumption is someone dropping that kind of coin for a system isn't going to order 500 movies from Netflix and load them onto their server, but the agreement is to remind them not to do so. Additionally you have to click "I agree" to a statement that you either own the disc or will delete it every time you import a DVD or CD.

Does it happen anyway? I am sure, (just like people made (high-quality :rolleyes:)copies of VHS and Beta tapes by setting up two machines tape-to-tape) but all of the legal stuff is to make Hollywood warm and fuzzy that they aren't losing money in the process and cover Kscape legally and allow them to keep doing what they are doing, whereas many other companies produce products that make you use third party software to accomplish this and those companies make no warranties on the legality of this, you can feel comfortable knowing that this is why you got this system, because it is legit.

excellent

thanks for explanation. it is as i thought, but it is really helpful hearing someone here say it. i am really looking forward to getting the system and I really appreciate this owners forum. it is great.

Don't want to open a discussion on importing media you do not own, but to be clear, anyone found to be violating the SLA you signed (BEFORE having access to the system), will have their license revoked and will lose all support from K.

Perhaps just semantics, but K does not "break" copy schemes. This could imply "removes" the copy protection, which it does not. The complete DVD/CD is transferred to the Server, including the copy protection. This transfer process is made more difficult with these seriously "malauthored" (read as copy-protected) disks, but the complete disk is eventually transferred once the rewriting process is figured out.

Jim

and just to be clear - i'm not looking to copy anything that is inappropriate. it would be silly to buy a system for 25K with a sound system that is at least twice that much so I can inappropriately copy a dvd that costs 15 dollars.

having spent many years in the military, i always like to know the ground rules before any engagement.

i'm still very new to this and I appreciate the answers even if the questions may not be framed in the correct manner.

Great, glad this is helpful. All reasonable questions.

And congrats on your purchase! Let us know how the install goes and what you think of it when you have it all up and running.
--josh

and just to be clear - i'm not looking to copy anything that is inappropriate. it would be silly to buy a system for 25K with a sound system that is at least twice that much so I can inappropriately copy a dvd that costs 15 dollars.

having spent many years in the military, i always like to know the ground rules before any engagement.

i'm still very new to this and I appreciate the answers even if the questions may not be framed in the correct manner.

Sorry!!!:eek: I can sometimes sound like the forum policeman, which is not intended. I know you were only seeking info, and as Josh said, all reasonable questions. Ignore me and enjoy the system!!:):)

More importantly, welcome!!!

Jim

Back