• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Control 4 or Crestron question about remote programming

iansilv

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a programmer program a control 4 or crestron system remotely and then upload the configuration to a the system in your home? This assumes I provide the programmer the equipment and IP address for each device I want integrated...

Certainly. C4 would be a little bit easier to edit and test remotely as you edit the actively running program vs recompile on Crestron.

That said there would be some initial setup that would have to happen on site before any remote programming could happen. From getting the controllers registered and remotes ID'd.

Kevin D.

With c4 no. You have to have Composer software, a dealer login, and register the controller before any remote programming can be done.

Crestron I suppose you could find the address the controller takes and forward the appropriate ports through the router.

Sounds like you're looking to get used equipment and just hire a programmer. Your most difficult task may be finding a programmer to do it that way.

Kevin D.

No I’m not trying to get used equipment- I was thinking about buying a control 4 system at magnolia today. I just don’t want to have to have someone come to my house every time I add/subtract any equipment...

Gotcha. Well magnolia would have to do the initial setup and I'm not sure how they handle remote programming. It would be kind of useless to send you out the door with just the product.

Once setup you can easily go in your account and change your dealer to whoever you wish. That would give them remote access to reprogram.

Kevin D.

I’m not 100% sure how it works but I know Magnolia programs Savant remotely. Having said that any C4 or Crestron dealer that sets up your system should have remote access to make changes. If they don’t run fast.:)

For the people here- which do you prefer? Control 4 or crestron? All I want to do is control a Samsung TV with built-in apps, an Apple TV, a meridian receiver and a Kaleidescape system with a switch between the Encore and the Premiere.

For the people here- which do you prefer? Control 4 or crestron? All I want to do is control a Samsung TV with built-in apps, an Apple TV, a meridian receiver and a Kaleidescape system with a switch between the Encore and the Premiere.

With that basic usage, C4 might make the most sense. I love Crestron, but it's my preference when you need to control a whole house worth of lights, HVAC, media, check your pool's temperature, shades, etc., etc., etc. It is so unbelievably powerful and infinitely customizable.

Crestron is great stuff, but you REALLY need a programmer who knows what they're doing. It's not easy, but can really sing in the right hands. C4 is far easier to program, so if BB/Magnolia was doing it...C4.

What about RTI? Personally, that's my go-to.

If that's literally all you want to control I'd go with a Logitech Harmony or RTI. C4 or Crestron would be a waste of money.

If that's literally all you want to control I'd go with a Logitech Harmony or RTI. C4 or Crestron would be a waste of money.

Yeah, you're probably right. Where C4 shines is whole-home integration. For a single setup, Harmony can do just fine, but not sure about the Co-Star switching. RTI would definitely be more deeply programmable and can work great as a single room setup but can also be expanded into whole-home integration.

I'd recommend simplecontrol for your needs. It's straight forward to set-up, compatible with kaleidescape and allows you to browse through your movie library with cover art.

With that basic usage, C4 might make the most sense. I love Crestron, but it's my preference when you need to control a whole house worth of lights, HVAC, media, check your pool's temperature, shades, etc., etc., etc. It is so unbelievably powerful and infinitely customizable.

Crestron is great stuff, but you REALLY need a programmer who knows what they're doing. It's not easy, but can really sing in the right hands. C4 is far easier to program, so if BB/Magnolia was doing it...C4.

What about RTI? Personally, that's my go-to.

I use nothing but RTI.

Here's another vote for SimpleControl. Has worked VERY well for me for several years. I use it to control JVC projector, Anthem D2V, Cinema One Gen 2, AppleTV, Tivo, Sonos speakers, and OPPO blu-ray player. Not difficult to program and has some pretty nice features like synchronizing across iOS devices and basic integration with Amazon Alexa. The solution is iOS only though, so you'd have to get in the Apple ecosystem. I'm very happy with it.

There is a newer version, 5.x, that was recently recently released and it had some pretty significant UI changes. I haven't moved to that release yet but there were a few long-time users that were disappointed in the flatter, more monotone, graphics palette. Sadly, I'm seeing more of that design trend so I'll have to adjust when I eventually upgrade.

Here's another vote for SimpleControl.
<snip>
The solution is iOS only though, so you'd have to get in the Apple ecosystem.

That's the blocker for me. I very much want to give SimpleControl a try but I have 0 investment in iOS and can't bring myself to play in Apple's walled garden just for a control system.

I'm decidedly lower end than either C4 or Crestron but I am able to control my projector, receiver, lights, thermostat, Roku, and Kaleidescape systems with a Harmony Ultimate home via a mix of IP and IR control. It's not nearly as sophisticated but it's also a fraction of the price.

..........I'm decidedly lower end than either C4 or Crestron but I am able to control my projector, receiver, lights, thermostat, Roku, and Kaleidescape systems with a Harmony Ultimate home via a mix of IP and IR control. It's not nearly as sophisticated but it's also a fraction of the price.

In the end, that's all that matters.:)

It's also safer to be less complex. Many of my friends and clients have Crestron and frankly regret putting those systems in their homes. They can certainly do a lot, but they can also cost a lot to maintain if you regularly change components. There can also be issues if your programmer is no longer available, as has happened to a friend (and forum member). He's been trying to locate a Crestron programmer to fix some issues he's encountered, and help add some new components......for more than a year!

Jim

In the end, that's all that matters.:)

It's also safer to be less complex. Many of my friends and clients have Crestron and frankly regret putting those systems in their homes. They can certainly do a lot, but they can also cost a lot to maintain if you regularly change components. There can also be issues if your programmer is no longer available, as has happened to a friend (and forum member). He's been trying to locate a Crestron programmer to fix some issues he's encountered, and help add some new components......for more than a year!

Jim

Great points. Crestron is not for the faint of heart. Awesome when you have a masterful programmer and a good relationship with them, but I've helped out a ton of clients who have not been happy with Crestron systems they got from another company. Often times, it was simply not the right tool for the job and they were honestly oversold. Again, it can be a work of art when you have to do a home that's practically on a commercial scale and you need TOTAL control. I've seen it be incredible in the right hands, and I've seen it poorly implemented/supported too.

Another excellent option is ProControl. See if they carry that? It's a spinoff from RTI, has some of the exact same hardware, but is a bit more geared toward setups like yours versus total home control.

The pricing is very competitive, and although it still takes your local dealer to program it, the programming's a snap. I was usually able to be all done in less than 30 minutes, and that was when I was just learning the software. A rep showed me a demo of the software and he was able to bust out a sample program in about 5 minutes. Not quite as easy as Harmony, but FAR more customizable.

It's a great middle ground between Harmony and RTI/C4/Savant/etc.

I have a fairly extensive Control4 installation that was designed, installed, and is currently maintained by Magnolia. Not sure if you’ve already decided to abandon that route or not, but if you want to hear about my experience with Control4 generally, or with K-Scape specifically, let me know.

I have a fairly extensive Control4 installation that was designed, installed, and is currently maintained by Magnolia. Not sure if you’ve already decided to abandon that route or not, but if you want to hear about my experience with Control4 generally, or with K-Scape specifically, let me know.

I am curious - as I am thinking about an extensive Control4 installation for our new home.

Back