• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Co-star'ed player question

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I have a M500 premier player paired with a Strato in our Family Room zone. I have paired the premier server (3U) to a Terra/multi-strato system. The web interfaces are confirming both the server and the player pairing to be correct.

I often leave the 3U Premier server powered off due to its location and noise... turning it on only when we are sure we'll need content on that system. The Terra stays on always.

Shouldn't the paired player work fine like this, showing me the 4K content stored on the Terra and just not showing the movies that are on the 3U? As of now, in that zone, when the 3U is off, the on-screen interface says it's having trouble locating my kaleidescape components. It shouldn't... the Terra and other Stratos are all on. There's no subnetting or any odd networking configuration.

Solution
The paired player still needs to be connected to its server (the 3U) in order to function. Once it loses connection to its server, it drops into the lobby screen and becomes unusable until connection to a server is restored. On the Encore side, your Strato sees that it has lost it's connection to the paired M-Class player and any content that resides on the 3U server will disappear from the library.

The Strato would work fine like this, however what's actually happening is that the Co-Star switch is detecting an active HDMI signal coming from the M500 (the lobby screen) and activating that HDMI port.

So there's two ways that you can work around this:

1. Disconnect the HDMI connection between the M500 and the Co-Star switch which...
The paired player still needs to be connected to its server (the 3U) in order to function. Once it loses connection to its server, it drops into the lobby screen and becomes unusable until connection to a server is restored. On the Encore side, your Strato sees that it has lost it's connection to the paired M-Class player and any content that resides on the 3U server will disappear from the library.

The Strato would work fine like this, however what's actually happening is that the Co-Star switch is detecting an active HDMI signal coming from the M500 (the lobby screen) and activating that HDMI port.

So there's two ways that you can work around this:

1. Disconnect the HDMI connection between the M500 and the Co-Star switch which would cause the switch to revert back to the port the Strato is connected to.
2. When you power down the 3U server, also remove power from the M500. However, when you pair a Strato and an M-class player, their standby states are coordinated. So if you put the M500 into standby, the Strato will also go into Standby and vice versa. So you would have to actually remove power from the M500 (either with a remote, addressable power port or by unplugging the device).

Solution
My setup is slightly different as I have Strato and Altos in a costar config. I keep my disc server powered off (via automation). All the movies show up, but the blurays show “insert disc”, likely because the Alto has a slot. On the occasion that we want to watch a bluray, I have a button on my remote to power up the disc server. After about 15 seconds, it shows that the movie will play from the disc server.

Back