• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Co-star scaling

Transepoch

Just to confirm this isn't simply a quirk in my stack, but when a co-starred system is setup to show everything on the Encore-side by setting the resolution to "Use highest available, up to 2160p" it will override the settings on the paired Premiere-side player? Not that the K is necessarily bad at scaling 480 content, I'm just trying to figure out why things are feeding to the projector as 1080p when playing imported DVDs and set to passthrough resolution (my receiver isn't set to scale anything, and the TiVo will display channels in all their 480i gory.)

Also, if this true & expected behavior, what other settings (display or otherwise - like language) does the pairing control?

No, the Premiere player controls the video and audio output when playing a title from your Premiere system. The Co-Star just switches between the Strato and Premiere player.

To change video setting go into the browser interface on your premiere player and set the video options (and audio, if needed).

John

Some SD content is from a progressive source and includes the appropriate flags. These output correctly at 480i in pass through mode. The unflagged SD content is upscaled to 1080p in pass through mode. If you want these to output at 480i as well, you need to select pass through (ignore display capabilities).

Like I said, it is, which is why I am confused as to why something else is being presented.
1658987801921.png
Having the Strato override it via Costar just seemed the most likely explanation as to why.
1658987888067.png
The only other reason I can think of is it looks at the projector, sees it cannot do 480i, and decides to jack it all the way to 1080p instead of picking the closest alternative (480p.) I guess forcing 480p for DVD content would be an easy enough way to test if this is the cause.

Like I said, it is, which is why I am confused as to why something else is being presented.
View attachment 2751
Having the Strato override it via Costar just seemed the most likely explanation as to why.
View attachment 2752
The only other reason I can think of is it looks at the projector, sees it cannot do 480i, and decides to jack it all the way to 1080p instead of picking the closest alternative (480p.) I guess forcing 480p for DVD content would be an easy enough way to test if this is the cause.
The top screen controls the video playback of the Premiere system. The bottom screen controls ONLY the playback from the Strato. All the Co-Star switch does is change between the two players.

John

Back