• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Co-Star HDMI Switching Problems

dFs

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Hi, I'm having issues with my Co-Star.

I've connected the Co-Star box to an M500 & Strato12TB.
I'm using the cables sent with the box and Strato.
And I'm using a Denon X3400H AVR.

The issue I am having is that I get a screen with either a static pattern or a blank screen.

The issues presents itself when I'm switching inputs on the AVR to the Kaleidescape input AND when I return to the Kaleidescape GUI after a video ends.

Currently, to get around the issue, I first switch to 2 unrelated inputs before selected the Kaleidescape input.
Or after a video ends, switching to 2 other inputs first, before switching back again to the Kaleidescape input, to get back to the GUI.

Thank you for your time and help.

Hi, I'm having issues with my Co-Star.

Typically in these type of situations try eliminating or swapping out one item at time until the problem eliminates improves (or possible gets worse.)

My first thought would be to bypass the Denon, or one cable at a time, or with a different receiver or HDMI switcher. Even different HDMI inputs often have different specifications or ratings on the same component. Whatever is possible in your case.

I would also check to see if all devices including the Denon are running the latest firmware. Running an older Denon Atmos receiver I know they offer internet firmware updates and seem to change quite often, at least mine. With constant HDMI revisions and trickledown updates to various components this could be possible, but unlikely.

Since you’re using the factory cables this is unlikely the case but you could try swapping them out just in case maybe one has a defective channel.

These suggestions are just basic suggestions I would try from my installation days of olde and might get you somewhere before those with specific Co-Star problem solving chime in.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.

If anyone has any another ideas, please don't hesitate to chime in.

Thanks again

Cool! it seems to have fixed it for now.

I say "... for now" because it occasionally make a short flicker of a static pattern before self fixing itself.

Thanks again.

So my "... for now" was correct.

Because the problems continued, so I ended up using the Strato's two HDMI outputs.

But in using the "Audio Only" HDMI output, going into my AVR, I now only get audio for content stored on the Strato and not on my M500/1U system.

Any chance it's the Co-Star Box, or maybe it needs a firmware upgrade?
Or any chance it's my old M500/1U system? Compatibility issues?

So my "... for now" was correct.

Because the problems continued, so I ended up using the Strato's two HDMI outputs.

But in using the "Audio Only" HDMI output, going into my AVR, I now only get audio for content stored on the Strato and not on my M500/1U system.

Any chance it's the Co-Star Box, or maybe it needs a firmware upgrade?
Or any chance it's my old M500/1U system? Compatibility issues?

I'm having a hard time picturing how you have this all interconnected. How are you getting the audio from the Audio Only HDMI (AOHDMI) cable but video from the Co-Star cable? Is the Co-Star connected directly to your display device bypassing the AVR?

When you initiate playback for content on your Strato, the audio will be on the AOHDMI. Audio and video from the paired player is not routed through the Strato so when you initiate playback from the paired player, the audio will be on the HDMI cable connected to the Co-Star output. So you would need to switch inputs on the AVR to get the audio from the Co-Star when the M500 is playing or from the AOHDMI cable when the Strato is playing.

Basically yes. I was trying different things to fix my video issues and that was one of them, without thinking what it would do to the audio. LOL

I'm going back to just using the Strato's main output, thanks for clarifying.

I changed the HDMI cable connecting the Co-Star to the AVR & used a different input on the AVR.

That seemed to have fixed my video issues for a few days, but then they started up again.

I'm hoping it's the other HDMI cables connected the Co-Star that is causing the video issues, so a new set of HDMI cables should arrive next week.

Thanks again.

Well, I finally got to the root of the problems. My 1U server's motherboard is malfunctioning. Everything esle is working well, it just the 1U that needs replacing. Thanks again.

Back