• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Cinema-1 or Alto, Grandfather status

This was very helpful!

One thing I’m still not clear on… what is the difference between importing and cataloguing? Can someone explain?

Thanks!

Importing in the process of duplicating a disc by creating a digital copy to storage. You "import" your physical disc copy to your hard drive(s).

("Downloading" refers to receiving content from the K Store. Basically you're downloading digital content from the Store.)

Cataloging is a process that takes place that allows certain content (physical discs) you own to be recognized in the K Store. If a "Digital Offer" or "D2D" is available for a cataloged title, you will see it when you check those offers attached to your account. Discs can be "Cataloged" in a variety of ways, the two main methods appear to be:

Own a Premiere system that is attached to a K Store account, content is eventually cataloged and recognized by the Store at some point after you Import a disc. Keep in mind that not all discs are recognized.

Use another component to Catalog (Alto, Cinema One 2nd Gen, etc.)

Jim

To expand a bit on what Jim has told you above (and forgetting about the store for a moment):

Importing, as stated above, is the process of copying a disc -- DVD, Blu-ray or CD -- in it's entirety to the HDD of your server. When you play that movie or any of the extras that were on the disc, the content is played from the HDD of the server not the disc. In the case of Blu-ray, the disc is still required to be present (in a Vault or in the local ODD of the player) but you are still playing the content from the server's HDD.

Importing is a Premiere-only feature. There are no Encore devices that are able to import content.

Cataloging is the process of adding a disc to your local library by identifying the disc and inserting a metadata record -- cover art, synopsis, etc. When browsing your local library, cataloged movies will appear just like any other movie but the actual disc must be present either in the player's ODD or in a Vault/Disc Server in order to be played. When you play the movie, the content is read from the actual disc.

Encore systems catalog content. Non-grandfathered Premiere systems catalog DVDs but still import Blu-ray Discs and CDs.

For clarification, an imported title is not the same file as the same title purchased from the store at the same resolution, correct?

Thank you @cinelife and @J.Green! This is very helpful!!

One follow up… can you tell me or is there a list somewhere of what are Premiere devices and what are Encore devices?

Thank you!!

The short version (as some devices can go either way.)
Encore: Any Terra server, Strato player, and Alto system.
Premier: everything else (non-Terra server: 2500/1500/1550/5000, and almost any device with an optical drive: reader, speed readers, K4000 music player, K2000/2500, K/M300, K/M500, M/DV700 (vault,) MDV100.)

Technically, yes, but the 5Us have much smaller capacities, so you won't be able to fit much and it will be more limited on expansion. I forget if you mentioned in one of the threads what your system expectations are, but another consequence of being the oldest generation is that it doesn't have the overhead to play as many zones (and download speeds will also be poor.)

Got it. Thanks again @Transepoch!

I only have a single zone, and maybe 70 Blu-ray’s and 40 DVDs.

Is the KSERVER-1500 newer than the 2500? This one seems to indicate more potential capacity (not grandfathered, I realize), but I would expect the 2500 to be newer than the 1500? No?

The KSERVER 1500 (1U server) is the newer server. The 2000 and 2500 Servers are the large (5U) servers. The 2000 was the first server followed by the 2500. These servers were excellent, nearly bullet-proof, but have some limitations as well (in particular the largest drive that was available was a 1TB).

The K50000 (3U) Server was released after the 2500 servers. It brought several improvements, including the use of much larger drives, and a Hot Spare drive.

Shortly after, K released the KSERVER 1500 (1U) server, this smaller server proved useful in yacht installs and for those seeking a smaller footprint and lower entry point into a K system. These Servers use the same drives as the 3U server, currently largest available is the 6TB drive.

Jim

Also keep in mind, drives are available for the 1u and 3u, not for the 5u. And finding an uninitialized old drive for a 5u would be next to impossible.

Kevin D.

Thank you @cinelife and @Kevin D! This is VERY helpful!! My head is spinning, but I definitely have a much better understanding of how to accomplish my goals. (Ideal would be an M700 and 1500/1U).

Now, onto finding the equipment I want at a price I can afford. Wish me luck, I’m going to need it. 😁

Back