• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Cinema-1 or Alto, Grandfather status

Rooster

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Are all C1's capable of ripping DVD's, or do they need to be grandfathered in?

I'm thinking of buying a used one....

Are all C1's capable of ripping DVD's, or do they need to be grandfathered in?

I'm thinking of buying a used one....

The majority of Cinema One 2nd Generation's are capable of importing DVD's but not all. Here are the cases I can think of that they wouldn't.
  • Any unit that was traded-up and perhaps not returned to Kaleidescape would not have the DVD import rights.
  • Also, there was a period of time (roughly 7 months) where Cinema One 2nd generations were sold as add-ons to existing systems and those units would not have DVD import rights.

That's after the lawsuit settlement date so there's a very good chance that the unit isn't grandfathered.

thanks -

So If I'm looking to do a basic blu ray system, which makes more sense: an Alto-dv700 -or- a Cinema One-dv 700?

thanks -

So If I'm looking to do a basic blu ray system, which makes more sense: an Alto-dv700 -or- a Cinema One-dv 700?

Cinema One/DV700 System:
- Will be able to import Blu-ray discs (regardless of grandfather status) and play them from the HDD.
- Might be able to import DVDs (if grandfathered)
- Will play Blu-ray and DVD discs from the local optical drive.
- Will play DVDs from the DV700's optical drive (if not grandfathered).
- Will only have 4 TB of storage (I don't *think* we ever shipped any Cinema Ones with 6 TB drives).
- Limited to two playback zones (you can pair it with another Cinema One (2nd Gen) but that's it).
- Cannot add a Terra for more storage.
- DVD and Blu-ray Quality content can be downloaded from the store.
- Must give up ability to import Disney discs if you want to download Disney content from store.
- No route to 4K content.

Alto/DV700 System:
- Will not be able to import Blu-ray or DVD discs to HDD.
- Will play Blu-ray and DVD discs from the local optical drive.
- Will play Blu-ray and DVD discs from the DV700's optical drive
- Can have 6 TB of storage instead of 4.
- Can group up to 4 Altos/Stratos for more playback zones and storage
- Can add Terra if more storage needed
- DVD and Blu-ray Quality content can be downloaded from the store.
- Disney content does not require opt-in.
- Path to 4K (via Strato)

The grandfathering status of a Cinema One (2nd Gen) really only matters if you have a meaningful DVD collection. With grandfathering, you can import the DVDs and not bother with the discs. Both grandfathered and non-grandfathered Cinema One (2nd Gen) retain the ability to import Blu-ray discs (but require disc presence to be satisfied by the vault).

TL;DR:

IFF the Cinema One is grandfathered AND you have a non-trivial amount of DVDs that you want to import/play AND you won't need more than 2 playback zones then opt for the C1/DV700 combination.

ELSE Alto/DV700 makes more sense in my opinion.

Ack- so the cinema one can't play blu Rays from the dv700?? Well that's a killjoy!

The cutoff date was Nov. 30, 2014, it must have been purchased originally from Kaleidescape by that date. Also the Cinema One will also do music (CD) playback.

Ack- so the cinema one can't play blu Rays from the dv700?? Well that's a killjoy!

A Cinema One can play Blu-ray discs from the vault but by default, Blu-ray discs inserted into the vault would be imported rather than catalogued. Once that happens, you're playing the content from the C1's HDD rather than the vault's ODD.

thanks all - so the way I understand it, the *big* differrence (music aside) is going to be the lack of a 4k path with the alto.

first world problems, I suppose.

Last edited:
thanks all - so the way I understand it, the *big* differrence (music aside) is going to be the lack of a 4k path with the alto.

I have a C-1 on the way....debating wether to buy an Alto instead....

first world problems, I suppose.

I may be misinterpreting what you have written but the Alto *provides* a 4K path (by being able to add a Strato). The Cinema One is the device that has no current path to 4K (aside from simply replacing it).

Apologies if that is what you said above and I have simply misunderstood.

I thought an Alto *was* a Cinema One 2G with different software, and that there was going to be an upgrade path where you could send your C1 in to be "converted" into an Alto.

I may be misinterpreting what you have written but the Alto *provides* a 4K path (by being able to add a Strato). The Cinema One is the device that has no current path to 4K (aside from simply replacing it).

Apologies if that is what you said above and I have simply misunderstood.

We're on the same page :)

But one last question - can the alto/cinema one use the m700 disc vault (just because these seem a lot more prevalent on the used market than the dv700)

I believe so, with the caveat that the 'M' part (the player) would be useless; the unit would act as a changer/vault only.

A Cinema One can play Blu-ray discs from the vault but by default, Blu-ray discs inserted into the vault would be imported rather than catalogued. Once that happens, you're playing the content from the C1's HDD rather than the vault's ODD.

Sorry to did up an old thread, but this is the only post referring to what I’m looking to do.

I want to get the DV700 to “catalog” instead of “import” movies, which is the default setting like you stated above. I want those disc to play from the optical drive in the vault, leaving my harddrive in the 2nd Gen Cinema One for movie store purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry to did up an old thread, but this is the only post referring to what I’m looking to do.

I want to get the DV700 to “catalog” instead of “import” movies, which is the default setting like you stated above. I want those disc to play from the optical drive in the vault, leaving my harddrive in the 2nd Gen Cinema One for movie store purchases.

There is no setting to force a vault to catalog content to the Cinema One instead of importing it. You can choose to catalog a disc from the ODD in the Cinema One but once you insert the disc into the vault, it will import.

My turn to dig up an old thread 😎

anyone know what would happen if there C12G HDD is full, would the BRs then play from the vault? Asking for a friend…

Back