• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Cinema 1 Gen 2 Optical Drive

Vinster88

Hi all,
I'm a new addition to your forum, I'm hoping the large net that you represent can help me.
I need to replace the optical drive in My 2013 Cinema 1.
I've been told that the service kit is no longer produced,I'm hoping that someone here can help me find a service kit out there in the shelves of spares that hopefully exists.

model number : K0503-0100
S/N 0503 00002164

Thanks for any leads or advice on how to remedy the loss of ability to play or download discs.

Vince

Hi Vince, I'm checking something and will get back to you shortly. (Welcome to the forum!)

Jim

What I would do is open the unit, pull the drive, and google/eBay search the exact model number.... probably find one for < $10.00

I believe we connected privately. Just for others as well, as we all know, parts are in short supply for most Premiere components, and other than drives, if your component is outside of 5 years from your initial warranty date, it may not be eligible to receive one of the few available parts from K (typically power supplies and optical drives). In those cases, or maybe more generally, owners should follow "smiley's" advice in the preceding post.

Jim

That's disappointing. The same drive is used in the Alto, and some of those are still under warranty. It sounds like K is reserving their remaining stock for Alto warranty replacements.

Unfortunately, the drives are an odd form factor, so replacements aren't readily available like they are for the M500. I think that I have pictures somewhere. I'll see if I can find them.

The good news is that the drive might only require cleaning. The drive design is more of an open chassis, so the lens accumulates dust faster than most drives.

Please post some detailed pictures of the drive, including any manufacturer stickers/markings.

Here are some pictures that I took when I replaced the optical drive under warranty. The service kit included the drive in the 3rd picture and a replacement label for the rear of the player. The black tray that it attaches to in the last picture was not included with the service kit.

Attachments

• 13DE7BF3-8730-4778-BB3E-8B7578C19145.jpeg
    13DE7BF3-8730-4778-BB3E-8B7578C19145.jpeg
    646.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 825BBFFB-7FA8-420C-AAA9-1E5A4B8490D7.jpeg
    825BBFFB-7FA8-420C-AAA9-1E5A4B8490D7.jpeg
    869.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 42D19FA8-E8AD-4124-A95C-75CDED298748.jpeg
    42D19FA8-E8AD-4124-A95C-75CDED298748.jpeg
    649.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 76202988-E223-40D4-820C-7515708697AD.jpeg
    76202988-E223-40D4-820C-7515708697AD.jpeg
    866.4 KB · Views: 51
Unfortunately I have to report that I was not able to locate a replacement.
I had some good help and one just wasn’t found.
I did solve my problem by purchasing a used cinema one with low use.
I link the two units together and now have a working optical drive and a unit in the main room as well as the bedroom.
A win in the end.
Good luck in your search

Unfortunately, that's the problem with some of the older components, a few suppliers are no longer in business.

Jim

Back