• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Changing aspect ratios and masking systems

carajo

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
OK bringing what John from Kaleidescape said to this thread.

I asked:
Regarding aspect ratios that change during the movie, It is my understanding that Kaleidescape will NOT communicate this aspect change to the screen masking.

Response:
This is correct. Aspect ratios and screen mask settings are set on a "play item" level and thus only one set of values can be defined per play item. So in the case where a movie download includes the movie, a trailer, and some extras, we can set different aspect ratio and masking trim values for the movie, the trailer, and the extras but we can't set two different aspect ratios or change the masking trim values for just the movie play item.

So my question to the users of masking systems, what are you doing during this change? We discussed a button on the crestron remote to manually change aspect ratios on the masking.

I don't see why you would want this. The only time this is an issue is with Nolan films and his constant changing of the AR. Do you really want the masking to switch from scence to scene when watching Interstellar or The Dark Knight? To me that would be annoying. I agree with K's approach to this... Pick the 'best' AR for the movie and stick with it.

Personally, I have manual masking control in my theater (alongside the automatic control) because I do sometimes watch something like a YouTube or Vimeo video that is letterboxed. The only movie I've watched on the Kaleidescape system where I made an aspect ratio change manually was one of the Hunger Games movies, which made a single switch from 2.40 to 1.78 at about the midpoint of the movie. Movies that go back and forth, I leave alone.

Not to mention that switching masking back and forth isn't instant. I know that when my AR changes, either automatically or manually, it's a full 4 to 5 seconds between 1.78 and 2.40. That's with Stewart's BRIC controlling my Cinecurve screen. Add 1 second for the change recognition, and the image is changing a full 5 seconds before the screen adjusts. I would find that unacceptable.

Jim

Back