• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

CEDIA 2022 Hopes & Dreams

I hope they announce they are going to open the Kaleidescape store to the whole universe and not just US, Canada and UK.

I'd like a CIH mode built into the CinemaScape code, that would project all content at a constant image height that is accurate to the selected title whether it's 1.33, 1.78, 1.85, 2.0, 2.35 or 2.4:1 etc.

I would also like a mode added that displays the menu in 1.78 pillarboxed so it can be smaller than 2.35 content, for the "reveal."

CIH mode would be encroaching on Lumagen video processor territory. The coding for that would be extensive.

From what I see they already have the code in place, they just need to add all the in-between aspect ratios, instead of only having 2.35 and 1.78.

If they really want to wow me, let’s get some progressive playback downloads going!

We have seen the Josh.ai thing so far. Meh for me. Hoping for a lot more. K is in the CEDIA keynote though and seems to be a big part of the show. New leadership has been here a while now. Really hoping for a massive showing.

If they really want to wow me, let’s get some progressive playback downloads going!

We have seen the Josh.ai thing so far. Meh for me. Hoping for a lot more. K is in the CEDIA keynote though and seems to be a big part of the show. New leadership has been here a while now. Really hoping for a massive showing.
I thought that waiting for downloads to complete would be a problem but with them completing so quickly it’s not proven to be in practice as long as we choose before we go into the cinema room. By the time we have all got in there it’s completed anyway. But I guess if it’s in your normal living space it might be more of a problem. The one thing I do twitch about is if for some reason it takes longer due to K server end or internet connection. We have a ‘guaranteed’ speed and over the past year it’s not dipped and so the varying times can’t be blamed on that. Typically it’s between 15 and 30 mins, mostly in between.

From what I see they already have the code in place, they just need to add all the in-between aspect ratios, instead of only having 2.35 and 1.78.
You are correct. You can extract the actual AR by looking at the screen masking data sent out by the Strato. Example, when they send 1.85, it could be 1.85, 2.0, 2.2, etc. Because of their installed base, they would likely need to add a new field to their control system so not to mess up current systems.

Download times haven't bothered me at all yet. I was also meh on the Josh.ai. I love voice control and use it all day long throughout the house, but the theater room is just the one area I don't care to implement anything.

New Terra just popped up. 18TB Compact going to 22TB and 72TB going to 88TB. Just adding some bigger drives. Hope they maintain the same prices. That’s fine. This really should happen as things scale. More space as new bigger drives come in.

Still hoping for a lot more This week.

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CALIFORNIA--September 20, 2022 – Kaleidescape, maker of the ultimate movie player, announced today the release of the new Kaleidescape compact Terra 22 terabyte (TB) movie server, replacing its compact Terra 18TB, and the release of the new Terra 88TB movie server, replacing its Terra 72TB server. These new products are now available from Kaleidescape’s dealer network.
“Kaleidescape is committed to acting on customer feedback, streamlining our product line to meet our wide range of customer needs in the 4K UHD era while maintaining the unrivaled quality, faster download speeds and seamless playback experience that define Kaleidescape,” said Tayloe Stansbury, CEO, Kaleidescape. “This new server lineup offers five different storage capacities, spaced roughly a factor of two apart from each other.”
Customers can now choose from the compact Terra 6TB, compact Terra 12TB, compact Terra 22TB or the larger Terra 48TB or Terra 88TB. This sequencing provides efficient options for those who want storage flexibility on a smaller scale, or for those with larger collections looking to expand as more 4K UHD titles become available. Both the Terra and compact Terra lines can download a UHD 4K movie in as little as 10 minutes.
The new Terra 88TB can store nearly 1,500 high-fidelity 4K UHD movies, serve up to 10 simultaneous 4K UHD playbacks, and enables fast downloads while simultaneously supporting playback on multiple Strato players. Extremely reliable, the Terra 88TB movie server stores high-fidelity movies on an array of high-quality, enterprise-class hard drives and is designed to continue operating on the rare occasion of a hard drive failure. If a failed hard drive needs to be replaced, movies are automatically restored from the cloud.
The compact Terra 22TB can store over 350 4K UHD movies or over 650 movies with a mix of 4K UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD-quality titles, and serve up to 5 simultaneous 4K UHD playbacks. The compact Terra allows customers the flexibility to add playback zones and grow their movie collection over time. Up to four compact Terra servers can be combined in a single system for more storage.
The Kaleidescape movie store has the largest collection of UHD 4K titles available and boasts nearly 14,000 titles for purchase and more than 9,000 for rent. Users can rent or download movies in reference quality 4K HDR with lossless Dolby Atmos and DTS:X audio, surpassing even 4K UHD discs in both convenience and quality by going beyond optical disc capacity and bit rate limits. In addition, Kaleidescape offers over 700 4K UHD titles not available on Blu-ray Disc.
The Kaleidescape compact Terra 22TB movie server will be priced at $10,995 and the Terra 88TB will be priced at $25,995. Accompanying Strato C players are priced at $3,995 each.

Seriously, the 88 should come preloaded with the BttF trilogy.
Don't know what I was expecting from Cedia, but was hoping for more groundbreaking announcements (Movies Anywhere?) to excite us.

I'd like a CIH mode built into the CinemaScape code, that would project all content at a constant image height that is accurate to the selected title whether it's 1.33, 1.78, 1.85, 2.0, 2.35 or 2.4:1 etc.

I would also like a mode added that displays the menu in 1.78 pillarboxed so it can be smaller than 2.35 content, for the "reveal."
I may be misunderstanding your request, but I use CinemaScape mode on my K and it appropriately pillboxes all marked ratios -- there's no letterboxing of 1.85 or 2.20 content within a 1.78 frame, those ratios are fully CIH within the 2.37ish frame of CinemaScape. It's one of the reasons I wish 2:1 would get added as an official ratio, because it's the only ratio I consistently see that is letterboxed (but notably within a 1.85:1 container, not a 1.78:1 container).

If you're talking about dynamically readjusting variable aspect ratio content (like M:I Fallout or Top Gun Maverick) then it definitely doesn't do that, but just in case I understood correctly I wanted to pass this along. It's made me very happy as a CinemaScape/CIH user.

Back