• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

CEDIA 2019

MAttHEATLifer

CEDIA is approaching in a little over a month from September 10-15th...

What are we think K will announce this year ?

They had a big presence last year.

I am hoping for Full Immersive audio for Fox, Universal and select Paramount movies.

More Studios being added MGM, STX, HBO, etc.

Defentaly hoping we will see announcement of adding Movies Anywhere...

Also would love to be surprised with something like Dolby Vison, HDR10+, Day & Date, updated Television interface, also would love to see TV episodes be added right after it premieres like how iTunes does...

Anything else people are looking forward to, hoping for ?

Figured we can use this thread for announcements and discussion.

1. MA
2. Missing codecs
3. New studios

For me, that's the priority.

I wonder if they will revisit talking up day-and-date. That idea seems to have cooled off a lot. I'd be OK with more TV content coming to the store too along with anime, Studio Ghibli, more GKIDS movies, and so on.

Given many K owners use projectors, I don't think DV or HDR10+ are big deals right now. For me, they are certainly not a priority.

Plus, DV requires new hardware. The absolute last thing I want to see K doing is trying to sell me new hardware while these glaring service issues exist. That would be kind of a joke, IMO.

And I really want to see those top 3 issues be announced and launched with quick turnaround, especially 1 and 2. Not announce for sometime next year. Rumor has been MA is gearing up to announce a new partner in Verizon soon, so maybe we will see multiple partners and timing lines up with CEDIA.

I'm really eager for CEDIA. I'm basically attaching my hopes and intent to continue being an owner to it. I hope to be delighted. It'll be a hard few weeks of waiting. I hope K comes here themselves and addresses the hardcore enthusiast users directly with good news.

Yeah totally agree, only reason I mentioned DV is DV discs look better than HDR disc on my LED so would love to see them through K, but totally agree with new hardware don’t want to have to buy new

This year compare to the last year is little silent but I am sure there are a huge works in the background for me the first priority is immersive codec for NBC and FOX then add studios such the above and very interest in PVOD lunch that’s my second hope after the immersive which is number 1 for me

I hope we get lights here to keep our hopes alive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. MA
2. Missing codecs
3. New studios

For me, that's the priority.

If they brought the thunder like that to CEDIA, they'd hands down "win" the show. Would be epic for them to have a big announcement with "As of today, we bring you our partnership with MA, all audio codecs on disc are now present, and we've reached agreements with all remaining studios."
...mic drop as Cheena cooly walks off the stage like a boss.

Those 3 are my priority as well in the same order. MA and codec update for Fox and NBC are must haves for me, hopefully by CEDIA.

Seems more of a Christmas list for Santa, or wishes for the tooth fairy.

Reckon if we get 1 of the three, quoted by @TrackZ, it'll be something of a miracle :D. Can but wish though and I hope I'm proved totally wrong.

929791_orig.jpg

With the K store now packed with a healthy amount of content, I think it’s time to drop the “luxury only” mentality and go after the masses with a product priced at around $1000. I’m a huge fan of their products but their future will always worry me until they tap into this revenue stream. Thoughts?

With the K store now packed with a healthy amount of content, I think it’s time to drop the “luxury only” mentality and go after the masses with a product priced at around $1000. I’m a huge fan of their products but their future will always worry me until they tap into this revenue stream. Thoughts?

For my own household I think a $1K option would be awesome.

However, I think that the potential revenue stream for mass consumers diminishes daily as streaming continues to take off.

I feel like streaming is impacting traditional TV providers also. For example HBO going dark on Dish and other networks going dark over contract disputes. As content providers develop their own apps/services that run on TVs and set top boxes, the traditional distributors have less clout. Consumers are getting more comfortable with this shift and the user experience.

Also, the quality difference becomes less and less noticeable as compression algorithms and internet bandwidth improve. I don't think the mass consumers will see the value proposition that K brings even at a $1K price point when they can use Vudu or similar to view their library via streaming.
I think the potential market would then just be AV enthusiasts, who also may not see the value. They may stick with Plex or similar if they aren't captivated by the ease of use that K brings.

My .02 :)

I'm not sure that a $1,000 (actually $995 + S/H and applicable sales tax) price point is going to win over the masses when compared to what an Apple TV or Roku stick costs. Because the average person does not care about the enhanced quality proposition that K has to offer. They just want convenience and low price, not necessarily in that order. Trying to explain the difference in bit-rates and resulting picture quality between streaming Netflix 4K and and 4K downloads provided by Kaleidescape does not make me a hit at parties. Also if sold to wider audiences, K's support costs would undoubtedly be much higher dealing with people who spent $1000 on something and then get upset and complain on social media when it doesn't work right or meet their expectations (realistic or not). Right now K does not have to deal with much if any of that kind of crap since the luxury customers are supported by dealers who will come hold the remote for them if necessary. And the rest of us enthusiasts who post here solve our own problems or reach out to Rusty or Jim when that doesn't work. So not to be mean or elitist or anything else along those lines, but I like K's niche product status just the way it is for the most part.

PS-Thought reflecting on my statement about reaching out to Rusty or Jim: How many other products do you own where you know someone that supports it on a first name basis?

I would love to see the James Bond movies added to the store, and some more titles I have to store on my premiere system, like all of my Beavis and Butthead collection DVDs...

I would love to see the James Bond movies added to the store, and some more titles I have to store on my premiere system, like all of my Beavis and Butthead collection DVDs...

I would agree but there’s tons of titles (especially 80’s and early 90’s) that either never made it to even DVD, or made it to DVD (more likely) but never made it to BD, 4K, or even streaming.

Some of that is due to the cost of conversion and lack of enough interest for a profit, but often it’s lack of resources with there just being too many catalog titles to be done, or especially with studios like MGM where the contracts are lost or so poorly defined that ownership on various platform, regions, or at all is vague or unknown.

It’s a LOT of time and money to chase down, get converted, and distributed many of those old catalog titles. Sadly.

Regarding a $1k or so product I would spend more total money adding more units myself. But I agree with most that the masses won’t go for it. Look at how the $500 to $1000 dedicated Vudu hardware worked out for them back it the day. It was kind of the K system of its day. Didn’t last long and volume of sales was poor. Let alone profit on development and upgrades.

Now if K could do a sub $1000 unit, may $500 that leveraged the Vudu backend while using the K front end. THAT would be real interesting to me.

2 more weeks...

I'm really hoping for a press release ahead of the show with amazing news.

Back