• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

CEDIA 2019

Thanks for sharing, Jim. Can't imagine what that'd be like. I always appreciate hearing about such things. Too often we take for granted the freedoms we have, forgetting what went into obtaining/maintaining them.

Thanks Lon....

In re-reading my post, I need to apologize for the tone. I'm always on others about this, and then I make an edgy post myself, so my apology to anyone bothered by the tone. No excuse, but a great friend from my gov/military days is one of those missing from the main Abaco island, he got stuck there trying to help a friend according to his wife, now he's missing and presumed dead. I have a tendency to overreact, forgetting that this is real life also, and the forum is here as a voice, and has little value if people can't express their frustration, regardless of the level, whether I agree or not.

So instead, I'll pay tribute to my friend David, I wouldn't be here if not for him......

In 1973, while working for one of our intell agencies, I was on a mission in Southeast Asia doing POW recovery work. We HALO'd in during the early morning hours with a team of 8 guys. We did the job, and while exiting to our pick up zone we were chased and I took a hit that went through my back and exited my abdomen. I didn't even realize I was shot given the adrenaline running through me, but once it was pointed out by another operative, the pain took over. The PZ was hot as well, which made pick up incredibly difficult. When Medevac ID'd a new zone, we moved the POW's and two other wounded guys to that zone. Being in charge, and because the bleeding had appeared to be stopped, I stayed back with several others to provide cover support and we waited for another pick-up. Two Loaches showed up and grabbed the remaining guys and said they'd be back for me. Before they got back I was taking too much fire, was scared out of my mind, so I took off, found another location and tried to convey my location, but was unsuccessful. I spent several hours evading, and then heard a Loach near me, I shot a flare, and then as expected started taking fire in my direction. The Loach was taking fire as well, but he pulled me out anyway, and took two rounds in the process (leg and arm). He saved my life....became a great friend....and I wish I could have done the same for him.....

He's one of the reasons I left the Intell biz to fly attack helicopters.

If he's somehow reading this....I love you my friend, my kids wouldn't be here without you....and on my honor I'll be there for your family going forward......

Jimmy

Thanks Lon....

In re-reading my post, I need to apologize for the tone. I'm always on others about this, and then I make an edgy post myself, so my apology to anyone bothered by the tone. No excuse, but a great friend from my gov/military days is one of those missing from the main Abaco island, he got stuck there trying to help a friend according to his wife, now he's missing and presumed dead. I have a tendency to overreact, forgetting that this is real life also, and the forum is here as a voice, and has little value if people can't express their frustration, regardless of the level, whether I agree or not.

So instead, I'll pay tribute to my friend David, I wouldn't be here if not for him......

In 1973, while working for one of our intell agencies, I was on a mission in Southeast Asia doing POW recovery work. We HALO'd in during the early morning hours with a team of 8 guys. We did the job, and while exiting to our pick up zone we were chased and I took a hit that went through my back and exited my abdomen. I didn't even realize I was shot given the adrenaline running through me, but once it was pointed out by another operative, the pain took over. The PZ was hot as well, which made pick up incredibly difficult. When Medevac ID'd a new zone, we moved the POW's and two other wounded guys to that zone. Being in charge, and because the bleeding had appeared to be stopped, I stayed back with several others to provide cover support and we waited for another pick-up. Two Loaches showed up and grabbed the remaining guys and said they'd be back for me. Before they got back I was taking too much fire, was scared out of my mind, so I took off, found another location and tried to convey my location, but was unsuccessful. I spent several hours evading, and then heard a Loach near me, I shot a flare, and then as expected started taking fire in my direction. The Loach was taking fire as well, but he pulled me out anyway, and took two rounds in the process (leg and arm). He saved my life....became a great friend....and I wish I could have done the same for him.....

If he's somehow reading this....I love you my friend, my kids wouldn't be here without you....and on my honor I'll be there for your family going forward......

Jimmy

Jim:

Absolutely incredible, the bravery of you and your friend are beyond. Thank you Jim, and to you un named friend for your SERVICE. We have spoken on the phone many times and I never picked up on this part of your life. Thank you again!!!

Thanks Lon....

Jimmy

Great story from a great man!

You guys are kind, appreciate the comments.

Jim

Yeah, really reminds me how trivial some of the things we discuss like "advanced codecs" are compared to other things in life. Thanks for sharing Jim.

Yeah, really reminds me how trivial some of the things we discuss like "advanced codecs" are compared to other things in life. Thanks for sharing Jim.

This whole hobby is trivial compared to the realities of life. Thus this forum is here to “discuss” the trivial, isn’t it? Hopefully we are not conflating two wildly different topics here as a means of diminishment of one over the other. It would be a disservice to both.

I think we all agree, and recognize the "real" life issues that exist for many, which makes much of what we experience everyday trivial in comparison. I had a similar emotional experience several years ago at a playground near Notre Dame stadium, and that incident really affected the way I look at life now.

We're all different, what affects one person deeply may not even be noticed by someone else, likewise we all have our own interests and priorities, and forums exist as a place to discuss those interests. I respect all those that contribute here, but every once in awhile life reminds us to reexamine our priorities.

Anyway, life goes on, let's get back to discussing K related subjects. Sorry for the diversion!

Jim

Ok, I found out Walter played the song SHALLOW, what makes Star Is Born so special is that the sound designs vary per song depending on the venue. Had he played La Vie En Rose the intimate egocentric soundfield of the jazz club provides the surround cues that I claim we all want to hear. But NO, Walter is so obsessed with Classical Music that he is imposing the diffusive concert hall acoustics ALLOCENTRIC soundfield that at this point in my life makes me wanna grab a razor blade and cut my ears off. :D After 3 years of listening to 75% allocentric rendering I cannot take it anymore.:D

For those playing the scripts, if you want smooth transitions go to the web interface and set up for NO DISPLAY CHANGES, the first HDMI option, 60fps. I will be setting a button on the Crestron screens to switch HDMI modes (scripts and Movie Watch).

Cheers!

I did my part!

To: participation@moviesanywhere.com

I’m writing to ask that you onboard Kaleidescape as Movies Anywhere partner.

While they are a smaller company they offer an unparalleled, high-end solution with strong movie industry support - and their customer base continues to grow.

As an aside, were a UV partner until that service shutdown.

As the only sanctioned digital download service for high resolution, bit-perfect movies with support from every major studio (MGM is the most recent addition), I know that they would be marquee partner for Movies Anywhere. More importantly, you would be doing a service to the many Movies Anywhere clients who own the Kaleidescape solution.

Hope to here from you

Having said this, was a formal press release issued re: MGM/UMG?

Personally, MGM was third on the list if K "hopes" - still, very nice to see.

I swear I read in a release a month or so ago that MGM was on board, and this post seems to confirm that, but MGM doesn't show in the list of studios for me in the store right now. What gives?

K does not release official statements about Studio content until they have titles available for download, meaning these titles are available for you to order. So for those that may be losing sleep over this subject, it works this way:

1. First they sign a contract with the Studio. (done)
2. With the contract in place, the Studio starts providing content. (working)
3. K gets the content from the Studio and does what they do (bookmarking, etc.)
4. When they are satisfied there is enough content in the Store, they announce.

Those concerned should take a deep breath, relax, pet you support animal, have breakfast, focus on real life, donate to the Bahamas (doubt they care about studios and
advanced codecs), and the content will eventually be available.

Jim

Aaand, further back in the thread, answers are revealed! Thanks, Jim. I almost flagged your comment earlier with the war story, BTW, because for some reason it seemed to cause weird, wet stuff to come from my eye sockets.

Here is a tidbit from John Siacca’s CEDIA 2019 recap:

“Most Used: If “Shallow” was the most used demo scene, then the Kaleidescape Strato was by far the most used source component. Nearly every home theater demo at the show included the telltale Kaleidescape on-screen user interface along with a “Presented by Kaleidescape” splash screen that preceded the demonstration. In fact, Kaleidescape was used in at least 20 booths at the show, proving that the best playback equipment demands the best source material.”

Read the whole article here:

https://www.residentialsystems.com/features/the-cedia-post-show-recap

John

Thanks for sharing John!

Jim

Back