• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Cataloging Blu-rays

RAV

Is my understanding correct that I can catalog my complete Blu-ray collection (approximately 800 movies) on Kaleidescape so the interface will display all my movies - even if many are not physically loaded in the Kaleidescape system (i.e., I have to manually grab the disc and put it in my Blu-ray player to watch)?

If I start with only the upcoming Strato is there any way to catalog Blu-rays? Or must I have a unit with an optical element like the Alto or Disc Vault in order to catalog Blu-rays?

Thanks for the guidance!

It seems that the inability to catalog existing Blu-rays with the Strato raises the bar in some cases to get started with Kaleidescape. In my case - I really don't have use for a 1080p player (the Alto - which includes an optical drive).

As an engineer - I love the modularity, flexibility, and UI of Kaleidescape.

The future for Kaleidescape is about downloading content not pulling it off a disc. So what seems like a limitation today will be what's expected tomorrow. I think given the price point most of the target audience will simply look to begin downloading 4K content to the new gear. The rest of us have to figure out if migration makes sense and if it does then what's the best path. You can always start out with a Premiere system and upgrade from there.

Just to clarify - when I refer to cataloging I am only referring to pulling the "metadata" associated with a disc (cover art) already in my "physical" collection.

There is a very significant benefit (at least from my perspective) to being able to use the Kaleidescape UI to select from all movies in a personal collection - especially for someone just starting out with Kaleidescape.

In the future - sure I would love to simply download content. But today - there are still significant gaps in content and I have a large collection of movies that I would love to select through the Kaleidescape UI (one interface to rule them all). I don't mind physically retrieving the disc and playing it through my Blu-ray player for now if it is a movie that is not available in the Kaleidescape Movie Store.

In my case - if Fox and Paramount are added to the Movie Store that may tip the scale for me to go ahead and purchase an Alto to get started with Kaleidescape and to achieve cataloging. When one takes into account the value of the 6TB of storage - the cost for "cataloging privileges" with an Alto seems to be around $1,000 - and I also get a player for a secondary viewing location!

Anyway - I hope that clarifies why I was asking about cataloging (one interface to rule them all)!

In that case, tzfan has provided the answer. (You can accomplish what you are asking, but do need an optical drive for purposes of actually getting the discs info into the system, and of course it has to be an optical drive that is BR capable.)

Jim

And just to make sure I understand...in the Encore System that means cataloging requires having either an Alto or a Disk Vault?

Back