• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Catalog with M700?

BrentFord

Another forum member told me it is possible to catalog blu rays with an M500 without having to import them. Is this possible with an M700 Vault? I currently have 50 blu rays waiting for import but would like to catalog them without having to wait for them to import. TIA!

Solution
Given that you refer to an M500 and M700, I'm going to assume that you are speaking about a Premiere system. In this case, any Blu-ray discs inserted into the vault will be imported not cataloged. There is no way to flag these discs to be catalogued instead of imported.
Given that you refer to an M500 and M700, I'm going to assume that you are speaking about a Premiere system. In this case, any Blu-ray discs inserted into the vault will be imported not cataloged. There is no way to flag these discs to be catalogued instead of imported.

Solution
I was afraid of that, but do appreciate the quick response!

Brent, I'll send you my M500 to use in cataloging those discs, return it when your done.

Jim

Be advised that if you do catalog a disc, and it is later inserted into the M700, it will be imported. So, if you were hoping to do something like cataloging the discs, and then putting them in the vault when you needed to do so for playback, that won't work.

Hi,

I am new to Kaleidescape and have a premiere system (8tb 1U server (with dvd import license, m300, m700) and a Strato S arriving next week. I have about 20tb of rips currently 600 films and about 20 series, including some uhd.

I think I have read this thread correctly but looking to clarify my thoughts as it may change the order I import my disks.

So my original intention was to fill the server first using dvds cataloging and importing on the way. Then catalog the blu rays and import the well used ones until I run out of disk space. Then continue just to catalog other disks. So I have all my disk catalogued for d2d transfer along the way and have my dvds in the server and the 320 most watched video in the vault to play of the drive or directly from the disk in the machine. The premiere system will then be left for only what is unavailable to download.

So does my plan seem sensible or will my catalog be practically constrained by what I can fit on the 8tb of the server, which I will have to then rotate as I d2d the movies.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Just to better understand your situation, I sent you a PM asking that you call me. I can explain more when you do, but basically just want to clarify a couple of questions I have regarding your content.

Jim

I just ordered all my home theater equipment including K. I have about 200 Blu-ray Discs. I am very confused about the process of getting these Discs into the K ecosystem. Is there somewhere I can go to get detailed instructions on this?

I just ordered all my home theater equipment including K. I have about 200 Blu-ray Discs. I am very confused about the process of getting these Discs into the K ecosystem. Is there somewhere I can go to get detailed instructions on this?

What equipment did you order? If it was Strato/Terra, you'll need another components (like the Alto, or Cinema One 2nd Gen) to catalog your discs.
If it's a Premiere system, your content is cataloged when you import the disc into the system.

Obviously, you need to have a Store account set up for the cataloging process to reach the Store and generate any D2d or Digital Offers based on the content you cataloged. The Store account is setup during the Registration process for your system.

Call me if you'd like a more detailed explanation, but the process is actually very easy. (I send you my contact phone by private message.)

Jim

12 TB compact Terra with Strato C is what I ordered. All the videos I watch show how the system works once everything is in the K hardware or purchased on line, but none on the mechanics of getting the Blu-ray Discs into the system.

Understood, that's because physical discs cannot be imported to the system you purchased. The Strato/Terra components can only download content you purchase from the Kaleidescape Store. Although you cannot import the discs you own, you can catalog the titles using one of the components I noted above (Alto or C1 2Gen). Ask you dealer for help in obtaining one of those components (preferably Alto) to use for cataloging. (I'm awaiting the return of one I loaned to a Member, but it now needs a repair, so it's currently unavailable.)

Jim

Understood, that's because physical discs cannot be imported to the system you purchased. The Strato/Terra components can only download content you purchase from the Kaleidescape Store. Although you cannot import the discs you own, you can catalog the titles using one of the components I noted above (Alto or C1 2Gen). Ask you dealer for help in obtaining one of those components (preferably Alto) to use for cataloging. (I'm awaiting the return of one I loaned to a Member, but it now needs a repair, so it's currently unavailable.)

Jim
What do you mean by cataloging?

Cataloging is the process of identifying disc based Blu-ray and DVD content you own. Once Cataloged, you will receive Disc-to-Digital offers, and Digital Offers in your Store account allowing you to purchase the digital version of your cataloged BR or DVD at a discount.
(NOTE: You will only receive these offers if your disc based content is also in the Kaleidescape Store, AND, the content owners (think Studios) have authorized the offer. The amount of the discount varies and is mostly determined by the content owners. If your content is not currently in the Store, it remains Cataloged to allow offers should the content become available at some future point.)

Jim

Cataloging is the process of identifying disc based Blu-ray and DVD content you own. Once Cataloged, you will receive Disc-to-Digital offers, and Digital Offers in your Store account allowing you to purchase the digital version of your cataloged BR or DVD at a discount.
(NOTE: You will only receive these offers if your disc based content is also in the Kaleidescape Store, AND, the content owners (think Studios) have authorized the offer. The amount of the discount varies and is mostly determined by the content owners. If your content is not currently in the Store, it remains Cataloged to allow offers should the content become available at some future point.)

Jim
Thank you for the detailed explanation

Thanks Jim @cinelife for the advice last week.

I have successfully set up my 1U server, M300, and M700. I also have set up my Strato S in a different location.

As described here the DVD and Blu-ray disks in the M700 are automatically imported to my 1U server automatically and also subsequently cataloged. The importing process is taking from around 25 minutes for a DVD to 1-1.5 hours for a long Blu-ray. The system will only import HD Blu-rays, so I have been importing the companion HD disk included with 4K UHD disks and then deciding whether to upgrade back to UHD as part of the Disk to Digital process. The titles if available will show up as a disk to digital offer in the movie store, usually within about half an hour of the import. As most of my movies are blu-ray and my server can only hold approximately 200 movies. I typically load up the M700 with 100 movies at a time and then just let it do its stuff, deciding what to update to digital and what to put in the vault long term as prices do vary considerably. I then delete the Blu-rays once they show in the store as a disk to digital offer and start with another batch of disks. Since it is a grandfathered server with a DVD import license and I have only a few DVDs I tend to keep the DVDs on the server. Once I have completed my collection I will then install the blu-rays I want in the vault and just reimport them as it is so simple and easier than thinking too far in advance.

I first imported 10 disks to prove this process was correct, before commencing with bigger batches and suggest that as best practice confirming it still works.

I am now starting to load the Strato with the movies I have converted to digital.

So all good so far.

Many Thanks

Stuart

Back