• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Capturing my existing iTunes Library

regwood

Now, I may not have that many movies (~750) currently, but I have over 20,000 songs ripped into iTunes. I have only ripped a few CDs into the K, just to get a sense of the fuctionality. I'm waiting for K support to come up with a solution that would prevent me from having to rip all that music again. I know it's not as high a quality as if I had ripped it directly into the K, but 20,000 songs!

I eagerly await this feature.

I had some extensive discussions with K about this while Music was still in development, at CES and even after I got to try it out on my own system. I wholeheartedly agree (although Chris - Dizzman on AVS - would disagree) that K should offer this. My point always has been that when you're jumping into the music game as late as K is (not a knock on them just a statement of fact - music server functionality has been offered by a variety of companies for years), you have to assume that many customers already have digital music collections. Now, DRM is a separate issue. Every system has the problem of not being able to play proprietary DRM content (Apple's ITMS music, etc), but that's not what we're talking about here.

A user should be able to upload or link to a share of content elsewhare on their network (K might mandate uploading to keep everything on their hardware, and that's ok). What formats they should support is up for debate but it should at least include MP3. WMA, AAC, FLAC, OGG, etc can all be considered based on user feedback.

Now, I know the 2 major arguments. The first is that if imported CDs are bit-for-bit perfect and imported MP3s are low bitrate, the quality of the latter is far lower. The fear would then be that the user might hear the lower quality of the latter and erroneously attribute that to the K system vs the fact that the source is worse than the original. A little user education goes a long way in this respect. Perhaps an on-screen disclaimer after importing the collection reminding users of this would work.

Secondly, and perhaps the bigger problem, is metadata inconsistency. Many of use who have large digital music collections that have been amassed for years probably have tracks that we've never cleaned up. The ID3 tag data may be incomplete, inaccurate or just messy (artist name mixed in with track title, etc). That's a UI problem for K. They pride themselves on a solution that look great. If you suddenly have a ton of music with poor metadata and missing cover art, it looks much less attractive. Beyond that, imported CDs pull from the AMG database that includes reviews. Obviously, imported content wouldn't have this. I'm not quite sure how to rectify this other than pointing users to tools to help fill out or correct metadata before importing. You're also going to have to do a good job warning them that imported tracks may have metadata problems since they aren't in control of it.

In the end though, I think you just have to accept the qulity issues, metadata inconsistencies, etc and live with it. I mean, I don't even still have some of the CDs I have imported digitally (lost, or in one case a bunch were stolen from me). Then there's the whole issue of purchased and downloaded content. I can convert any of that stuff to non-DRM'ed MP3 for importing. I don't want to have to convert it all to WAV for burining to disc, importing via the reader and then manual entry of album/artis/track info for incomplete albums or individual tracks.

K has also said that they want to offer support for portable players. As in you would be able to connect your player to the K to transfer music to the portable unit. Right now I use my Macs and PCs to manage content on my iPods. It's unlikely that I'll want bit-for-bit content on an iPod regardless of how large storgae capacities get. So, the K system will have to do on the fly conversion. It seems like a lot of hassle to go through if I already have a collection of compressed music ready for transfer. And again, you get back to the problem of some of that content not available in its original form to easily rip even from a bulk loader.

By the way, since the legalities of ripping audio aren't nearly the same as they are with video, I don't see a legal probelm. K does more than any other music server already by giving you their legal disclaimer for any import, video or audio, so that's all they need. K's not any more at risk than any of the dozens of companies offering music server solutions.

Jeff

wow - that's the best discussion i've seen about this issue. Clearly it's not a simple thing for them to add, and as you've pointed out, it goes WAY beyond just legal issues.

I think you're right that they'll just have to accept UI issues that go along with "add your own stuff" features. (To a lesser degree, this will happen if/when they add support for photos)

If they want to support portable audio players, then I'm surprised the newest player components don't have a front-panel USB jack. I suppose they'll have you use the PC to get it to your player?

--josh

They could do some sort of specialized hardware piece made for player interfacing or have a software app running on a computer that pulls music from the K servers for transfer to a player. The latter would make the UI for portable transfers easier to work with. Some things are just much easier to do on a computer even though some folks really don't like using one.

Jeff

I just noticed that K has updated the FAQ on their website. It doesnt get into specifics but sounds promising.

Q: Can I get the music on my Kaleidescape System onto my iPod? or other portable music player?
A:
The current release of the Kaleidescape Music Server software does not support this feature. In the future, we will enable Kaleidescape customers to export the music on their Kaleidescape System to their PC. Customers may then access this music from iTunes? or other media player applications, and encode it and export it to their iPod? or other portable music player. Kaleidescape will provide these features in a future software release, which will be provided automatically to existing customers. We expect this software release to be available by early 2007.

Q: Can I get the music on my PC into my Kaleidescape System?
A:
The current release of the Kaleidescape Music Server software does not support this feature. In the future, we will enable Kaleidescape customers to import the music on their PC that is in either MP3 or WAV format and that is not copy-protected, to their Kaleidescape System. Customers may then manage and play these MP3 or WAV files from their Kaleidescape System. Kaleidescape will provide these features in a future software release, which will be provided automatically to existing customers. We expect this software release to be available in December 2006.

wow... ok, now don't we all feel dumb speculating on this, when the official answer was public information already! ;)

thanks Tracy!
and welcome to the board.

Apparently I need to bookmark the FAQ page. You know, I have mentioned to K before that a regular e-newsletter wouldn't be a bad idea. We get notifcation of software updates but something like this is absolutely helpful to know. Of course, now that we have this board, we can alert each other to new info and postings on K's site.

Jeff

I know its been a while.. but i believe the issue was how to get your itunes library onto the KS server.. not the other way around. I have around 60,000 tracks on my itunes server and was just about to splurge on a new 14 x 4TB server so I could at last consolidate all my media in one solution, and it seems I still can't do that.. ! Or if I can i can't see how

I have the same problem and have not found a way. Non physical media isn't supported except from the K store.
Yes you can burn a cd which is practical for an occasional downloaded album but not for a 'download' collection.

I agree they really need to open the system for music imports as the world moves to download delivery of music and away from disc based media.

Back