• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Can the failed disk message be bypassed?

AlienW

I have a 1U with a failed drive. On any player connected to it the only thing that will display is the warning for the failed drive. No content can be played. It there any way to bypass the message? I tried Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A.. but sadly it did nothing (no free lives either).

It is trying to protect your content. If another drive fails before you replace the currently failed drive you will likely lose the content in your 1U. I'm not aware of any way to remove that message, other than to replace the failed drive.

Jim

Hey @AlienWarlock - You say you cannot play any content, but during a disk failure that should be possible. The ability to import/download new content is disabled (to prevent unnecessary writing to a file system in a fragile state), but you should still be able to watch content (since this only requires reading data). Unless K has change something in the software (which is a possibility - I no longer have a Premiere system), you should be able to dismiss an error message that fills the screen to use the system and continue seeing a "reminder" error message in the corner of the screen. If you can't get it working, you may want to contact K support.

As Jim stated above, the only way to get rid of the message completely is to replace the failed disk which you should do to limit the amount of time the file system runs degraded.

Good luck,
Andy

Yes I was hoping that a certain key press on the remote could dismiss the message. Its not really a big deal since its just a project system that I rescued off ebay and wanted to watch some of the stuff on it. I thought I could trick it by grouping it with my other spare 1u, but had no such luck. When the server with the bad drive was grouped to the other server + M-500 group, the M-500 screen immediately switched to the black screen/failed drive message. And if I powered off the server with the bad drive the message went away and the player returned to normal operation. That kOS sure is a clever one ;)

Andy, the behavior was changed some years ago. Servers do continue to allow media playback (but not import) with a degraded array for ten days -- enough time to procure and replace the failed cartridge. But if you leave the server in a degraded state for longer than that, it will lock down and refuse to play content.

This change was made because we found that people were simply ignoring failed disks -- for months or even years! -- and then they would have a second failure and end up losing everything on the server. We made the change to ensure that people would replace the failed cartridge before they reached that state.

Our support team can bypass the lockout if circumstances demand it (e.g., you're on a yacht at sea more than ten days from port!), but it's definitely not recommended. It is also strongly recommended that you do not power the ailing server off, since power cycles on the drive are the most stressful times, and the most likely time for a second drive to fail.

Now that you mention it, I do vaguely recall the change. Thanks for the clarification Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back