• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Call Me By Your Name Subtitles

leo9000

The HDR download of Call Me By Your Name only has two options English for hearing impaired subtitles (the entire film is subtitled in English) or no subtitles. This is not how it was shown theatrically in the US and on the Blu-ray where only the Italian and French are subtitled in English (the English is not). I hope K fixes this and offers this option soon.

Out of curiosity, have you tried watching the Italian and French scenes with subtitles set to "none"?

I ran across this with another film and it turned out that the movie had "burned-in" subtitles (part of the actual video frame) which were indistinguishable from the SDR subtitles (same font, etc).

It was quite confusing, and I've filed a bug/enhancement issue related to it. We need some way to be able to report that the movie always has English subtitles (basically, no option for "none"). Anyway, please try that on Call Me and see what you get.

Out of curiosity, have you tried watching the Italian and French scenes with subtitles set to "none"?

I ran across this with another film and it turned out that the movie had "burned-in" subtitles (part of the actual video frame) which were indistinguishable from the SDR subtitles (same font, etc).

It was quite confusing, and I've filed a bug/enhancement issue related to it. We need some way to be able to report that the movie always has English subtitles (basically, no option for "none"). Anyway, please try that on Call Me and see what you get.
When the subtitles are set to none, no subtitles appear for any of the languages spoken. I have the blu-ray, so I put that in to check, and it only subtitles the Italian and French speaking sections (but they don't seem to be burned-in since there are other languages available)- the English (the majority of the film) remains without subtitles. Hopefully K makes similar subtitles for this film available. Watching with English subtitles is distracting, since most of the time they are speaking English, and with none, a lot of important dialogue is missed.

Hmmm. That sounds like a bug. I will escalate it with the team.
Mike,

Speaking of subtitles being out of whack: I just watched HDR of "Airplane" and it brings up subtitles that are already burnt into the movie. (I did not have subtitles turned on.)

Attachments

• IMG_5574.jpg
    IMG_5574.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 24
Mike,

Speaking of subtitles being out of whack: I just watched HDR of "Airplane" and it brings up subtitles that are already burnt into the movie. (I did not have subtitles turned on.)
That's really odd. At first I thought it was a joke, since I remembered the subtitles for the Jive scene, but why subtitle subtitles?

That's really odd. At first I thought it was a joke, since I remembered the subtitles for the Jive scene, but why subtitle subtitles?
Yeah, it's showing double the subtitles in the Jive scenes. They are burnt-in on the print K-store sells AND they appear as forced subtitles at the same time. (Though they don't pop on and off necessarily in unison. And I think there was one line that did not translate the same way. I was so distracted when it first happened that I kind of missed it, but I think one of the first lines the two subtitles did not match.)

Mike,

Sigh. That's disappointing. I will escalate with the team. Thanks for the heads-up.

Howdy all. I got an update today about Call Me By Your Name. We have an updated version with "forced" (a.k.a. automatic/default) English subtitles for only the foreign-language scenes that is going through our content process now. Once it's released, if you have the movie downloaded the store interfaces on both web and mobile will show that there's an update available for you.

Airplane will be addressed as well, but I don't have a time frame on that one yet. It's a bit lower on the priority list because it's an issue of duplicated subtitles rather than missing ones.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Howdy all. I got an update today about Call Me By Your Name. We have an updated version with "forced" (a.k.a. automatic/default) English subtitles for only the foreign-language scenes that is going through our content process now. Once it's released, if you have the movie downloaded the store interfaces on both web and mobile will show that there's an update available for you.

Airplane will be addressed as well, but I don't have a time frame on that one yet. It's a bit lower on the priority list because it's an issue of duplicated subtitles rather than missing ones.

Awesome, thank you Mike!

BTW can you please also check out this thread about how the Chrome edition of "Mad Max: Fury Road" is cataloged?

Thanks Mike! That’s great news. Will download update when available. Very impressed with the quick response from K.

Mike,

We just watched that last night and as I was scrolling through this thread I was thinking of mentioning the Jive language subtitles had been burned in already.

Awesome, thank you Mike!

BTW can you please also check out this thread about how the Chrome edition of "Mad Max: Fury Road" is cataloged?

Thank you for reminding me. I meant to bring that up with the team.

Just to circle back to this, both the HDR and SDR versions of Call Me By Your Name now include forced English subtitles where appropriate.

Back