• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Buying KScape from Best Buy

CPickler

So I know our market exists on making sure we do business with our local dealers to ensure that we have them around. I have to admit though, I am very tempted because right now Best Buy has zero percent financing for 24 months including KScape. I know that my local dealer can't offer that, and I doubt most others could either with the way everything is. I'm torn because I know that would mean I could buy a Terra and actually download more of the movies I've purchased from K that I hate waiting while my Strato takes an hour to download as well as having more ready at my fingertips. I'm further torn because I don't know if then offering to pay for my local dealer to come do the install and config to add it to the system would end up being insulting to them or would sour the relationship that I have built with them. Also given the pricing increases we know about, it's a question of buying now and locking in a price versus seeing what the pricing is in a year or two after I've saved up for the Terra.

What are people's thoughts on this? I know we prefer not to support the Best Buy's of the world when we can, but for things like this it seems it's only the companies of that size that can offer things like this.

I do almost all of my own work on my A/V system so buying from Best Buy is sometimes the best (or only) option considering a lot of high-end dealers are reluctant to work with someone who is not looking to do a full-blown theater with them.

If it makes a difference, installing a Terra is quite simple if you want to tackle it yourself. Once you find a home for it, all that you need to do is connect an Ethernet cable and group it with your existing K components. There is no need to program your control system or much else to worry about.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost did the same thing recently since they have a sale going for the Strato-C and a 6 hard drive. 2 years interest free if paid in time, but they approved me a couple thousand short of the combo total and then wouldn't allow you to use multiple payments online. (Can't use their finance offer + one of your own payment methods) And of course if you tried to split up the items by doing one at a time you couldn't get the promotional offer.

Almost did the same thing recently since they have a sale going for the Strato-C and a 6 hard drive. 2 years interest free if paid in time, but they approved me a couple thousand short of the combo total and then wouldn't allow you to use multiple payments online. (Can't use their finance offer + one of your own payment methods) And of course if you tried to split up the items by doing one at a time you couldn't get the promotional offer.
I called the credit card and told them what I was doing and how much the total was, and they bumped mine up the extra it was needed. They often approve low, especially these days. If you call and tell them a number you need for a transaction, they are very likely to give you the extra credit.

You can do multiple cards in store and get the finance and the deal. You can even get the rewards points for the entire purchase. You need a location with Magnolia for this.

You can do multiple cards in store and get the finance and the deal. You can even get the rewards points for the entire purchase. You need a location with Magnolia for this.
Ohh man, I thought they changed it a while ago that you could get points or financing but not both. I was spoiled having a nice Magnolia location near me before I moved. Now the closest is 4 hours away, so I have to find the magnolia consultant in the home goods area to schedule phone consultations whenever I want something from a magnolia location. At least I don't have to drive 4 hours there and back though.

Ohh man, I thought they changed it a while ago that you could get points or financing but not both. I was spoiled having a nice Magnolia location near me before I moved. Now the closest is 4 hours away, so I have to find the magnolia consultant in the home goods area to schedule phone consultations whenever I want something from a magnolia location. At least I don't have to drive 4 hours there and back though.

No, you are right, you can’t double dip with the Best Buy financing offer. You should however get points for the portion you are paying with other means.

You are also right, you can make split payments over the phone to someone at a Magnolia location but not to regular Best Buy locations or Best Buy general phone lines. As a matter of fact, the design center designers can make anything possible if they really wanted to. They can even sell you stuff Best Buy/Magnolia doesn’t normally carry. The real trouble is finding those seasoned and capable Best Buy/Magnolia designers who knows how to navigate through and around the SOP of Best Buy and take care of the customers.

I'm trying but it's been a headache. First the not approved for enough initially, then couldn't split payments online. So today I went inside a location with Magnolia and explained, and while he could split payments in person, he said he couldn't contact the creditor to up the limit to work with the promotion. That I'd have to do that on my own and come back.

So I went home. Called Citi-bank. They said I should be good for it, but that I couldn't be approved for it on my own phone. That I'd have to be IN STORE on their phone so that they could talk to an associate and push the sale through. Oh brother. . .

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow :p

I'm trying but it's been a headache. First the not approved for enough initially, then couldn't split payments online. So today I went inside a location with Magnolia and explained, and while he could split payments in person, he said he couldn't contact the creditor to up the limit to work with the promotion. That I'd have to do that on my own and come back.

So I went home. Called Citi-bank. They said I should be good for it, but that I couldn't be approved for it on my own phone. That I'd have to be IN STORE on their phone so that they could talk to an associate and push the sale through. Oh brother. . .

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow :p

He definitely can do it, he just didn’t want to. I know, I work in the Magnolia area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also given the pricing increases we know about, it's a question of buying now and locking in a price versus seeing what the pricing is in a year or two after I've saved up for the Terra.

What are people's thoughts on this?
Just my 2 cents... If you are not in a hurry I would suggest saving up the 2 years and then contacting Jim about purchasing a Terra from him. I plan to contact him first and last when I make my purchase.

Also, we just had a price increase so I tend to think there will not be another price increase for at least a little while, and if there is another one it may be associated with a product change where you might get a larger hard drive for about (probably a little bit more) the same price.

Now if you don't want to wait and don't have the funds right now, you can't beat 0%.

Either way I hope you enjoy your system.

Just my 2 cents... If you are not in a hurry I would suggest saving up the 2 years and then contacting Jim about purchasing a Terra from him. I plan to contact him first and last when I make my purchase.

Also, we just had a price increase so I tend to think there will not be another price increase for at least a little while, and if there is another one it may be associated with a product change where you might get a larger hard drive for about (probably a little bit more) the same price.

Now if you don't want to wait and don't have the funds right now, you can't beat 0%.

Either way I hope you enjoy your system.
I reached out to my local dealer that I've been working with and told him exactly what I was looking to do. He understood the situation and we ended up coming to a deal that I think will work pretty well in the end. 72TB Terra, Strato C, and the Just Add Power transmitter to add it to my distributed video system.

Couldn't get a zero percent financing, but at least got a nice low rate through a local credit union. The cost in financing is less than the Just Add Power transmitter alone, so I still came out ahead. Kinda upset I didn't push back on all his other quotes where he kept charging me MSRP, but I guess at this point I've earned a few discounts from the company. I'm sure I would have come out a whole lot cheaper buying everything from Jim that I've ended up putting in my system, but I found this group too late.

(I'm withholding pricing just because I thought I remembered reading somewhere that mentioning prices for items sold under MSRP aren't allowed to be discussed.)

Yes, please post only MSRP prices (like all Forums). Stating you received a discount is fine.

While it's true I take care of our members, I prefer owners work with their local dealers. Most of these dealers have "brick and mortar" stores, and lots of expenses, and deserve your support. (I'm sure there may be exceptions, I've met a few.)

By now most here know my policy, I'm happy to support anyone that doesn't have a dealer, and those that had a dealer in the past that is no longer responsive, or selling K. If you have a dealer you work with, please continue to support that business, otherwise I'm here to help in any way I can, and that doesn't require you to buy through me. I just want your K ownership and experience to be as fun as possible. You pay enough for these systems, you deserve to be supported by your dealers.

Best!

Jim

Hi Nick. that was a general statement aimed at no one, and you are not a bother at all. Reach out for info at anytime, but I do appreciate you checking with your local dealer, hopefully they can assist in any purchase.

Best!

Jim

After the hassle I never went back to Best Buy and just ended up going with Cinelife Jim. The weekend countdown is on until it all arrives on Monday!

Many of us would say that "Best Buy:" is not by any means your "best buy" if you get what I mean! Or has anyone has their "Geek Squad" do a really good job setting up their gear, programming it, etc?

Many of us would say that "Best Buy:" is not by any means your "best buy" if you get what I mean! Or has anyone has their "Geek Squad" do a really good job setting up their gear, programming it, etc?
ROFL, I was planning on using them in a very transactional manner. The money's on the counter, give me what I asked for and leave. :sneaky:

I just never really have a nice experience at my local Best Buy. I asked them about Kaleidescape and a Sony 325es projector and they thought I meant a telescope type thing and for the projector they stated they don’t display the Sony’s, mind you it was in the theater room next door… I used to buy from another magnolia that’s a bit far from me but the general manager I knew left, I had great experiences there.

Back