• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Broken 3U Server

dlittle

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I came home from work last night and discovered that my movie collection had diminished precipitously. It turned out one of my 3U servers was dead.

Pressing the power button on the server does nothing - no lights, no fan, etc.. The power outlet is definitely live. I’m therefor suspecting a bad power supply.

Anyone else have experience with this? Also, this particular server is out of warranty. Anyone here replaced a 3 U server power supply?

Thanks!

Never replaced a 3U, but have done a 1U and a 3U should be just as easy. If you can change a PC power supply, you can do this:)

you cannot get them thru K Support, there is no Service Kit available for the 3U, but I would assume a compatible power supply can be found online (personally have not checked).

Jim

Thanks Jim for the update. The only reason I mention it is I have yet to see someone post on these forums that they have found an after-market one, unless I have missed it (possible).

I think there was a post, perhaps two on the subject, but it might be buried in someone else's thread. I just tried searching and did not find it. Someone may eventually post in this thread with details, we'll see.

Part of the problem is that until very recently the 3U PS could be obtained thru K Support, but that is no longer the case. I'll investigate this further with K to perhaps get a model and source for the correct PS.

Jim

Hey guys I've had to change two of these out before and let me tell you.
It's a bitch !
There's a reason Kaleidescape will not sale the power supply and that's because it's not field serviceable you literally have to take the whole thing apart to get it out.
But that's not the hard part !
The hard part is you can not get the power supply on your own.
I tracked down the same power supply unit but it's not the same.
Kaleidescape had that manufacturer make a custom one for them after the model number of the power supply it has a -KS at the end of it.
That unit is different from there unit.
It has taller and bigger Caps in it and a bunch of different stuff to meet Kaleidescape's spec's.
Not to mention that Kaleidescape also has them put a custom harness on the power supply.
It has two custom short 25 pin connectors on it.
I ended up taking the power supply to a engineer friend of mine and having him rebuild it for me and it worked great.
You can try fixing it or another option is getting an out of warranty replacement unit.
it would be a KSERVER-5000-R it would have a 90 Day warranty on it.
The list price on the unit is $ 5,395.00
But on the new price sheet it is a lot less so I will have to check on Monday if that's right or a misprint or if they dropped the price on it.

Attachments

• DSCN0835.jpg
    DSCN0835.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 55
The 3U OOW replacement server (you have to return the old server) is now $2,495.

Jim

There will be a 3U Service Kit available to dealers soon, possibly later this week. Although cost has not been finalized, it should be in the $450 range, which is better than having to replace the Server. The repair does take time, and is a bit complex, but can be done.

Jim

Posting in this thread rather than starting a new one. No lights or fan on my 3U. Thinking it must be the power supply, but I'd appreciate any ideas on what else it might be.
Has anyone purchased the K power supply kit? Does the K kit make it any easier to replace than using a 3rd party power supply? Of course, I haven't seen anything posted about a 3rd party solution lately, so any updates on that would be appreciated too.

Running a Strato/Terra system independently so still have movies until I get the legacy server repaired.

It could be a bad mother board but more then likely it's your power supply:(
There are no aftermarket power supply's available and the reason is because
They are made specifically for Kaleidescape to there specs and They have more robust components in them and not to mention they have a proprietary wiring harness on them as well.
I've replaced a handful of them in the past and what I have had to do then was just get the old power supply's rebuild.
Thank god! they sell them now and they run about $ 600.00 to $ 700.00
The kit also comes with all new fans as well.
It's not the easiest thing to change but it's also not the hardest ether:)
Here's a couple of pictures showing you what it looks like.
But keep in mind there are different versions of 3U chassis so yours may look different.

Attachments

• DSCN0820.jpg
    DSCN0820.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0825.jpg
    DSCN0825.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 77
Just wanted to follow up, there are after-market power supplies available. See my post at the end of:

https://www.kscapeowners.com/XF/threads/purchase-a-power-supply-for-kserver-5000.3448/

The company that manufactured the original power supply will sell you a brand new one with a modified harness to fit the Kaleidescape KSERVER-5000. I went that route, and it's working perfectly.

Note that a prior post here said that the power supply is not field-replacable. That's not true, it is, but it does take some time. Kaleidescape has a document on their WWW site describing how to remove the old power supply at: https://support.kaleidescape.com/article/3U-Server-Power-Supply-Replacement.

There's also a repair facility (down in Orange County, CA) that will repair old power supplies for about $160.00 US called Power-Medic (http://power-medic.com).

Hope this is useful to folks.

Thanks Jeff!

Jim

Back