• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Borrow an Alto for Cataloging

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
I've decided to start this service for forum Members. I've agreed to purchase 2 Alto Players from K (these are not officially available for sale because Alto's are a discontinued component). They will ship to me this week, and I will make them available to members beginning next week. I decided not to use Vaults for two reasons, first they cost more to ship, and given that Members are responsible for shipping to the next Member (see rules below), I want to keep the costs reasonable, and second, Vaults are more easily damaged in shipping, and that will cause additional delays in supporting this service.

Here are the details:

1. Members that would like to borrow an Alto to catalog their physical discs will need to contact me directly, either by email at CINELIFELLC@GMAIL.COM, or by messaging me on this Forum (use the envelope immediately to the right of your Forum name at the top of the page). I will need your complete shipping address and a contact phone number. You will be placed on a non-published (private) list in the order of contact. I will pay the shipping to you, and you will pay the shipping to return it to me, OR, to the next person in line (I will provide the shipping info for that next person in line, but not the phone number).

2. With exception to the cost of shipping the Alto to the next owner in line, this is a FREE service. You will have two weeks to catalog your discs, but would appreciate you getting it done sooner if possible so we can support the next member. (The individual discs actually catalog fairly quickly, but obviously the trade off is the fact that you have to do this one disc at a time.) I'm starting with two weeks because of the number of Members I expect will want to catalog, and for new Strato owners looking for this Service. If there is no owner waiting in line, that can be extended but no longer than 3 weeks total time because I'm encouraging owners to make the temporary time sacrifice to get the cataloging completed. (We can discuss that time limit if there is no one waiting in line.)

The shipping chain would look like this: I ship to owner A, then A ships to owner B, then B ships to owner C, etc., and the last person in line returns the Alto to me. I will operate two separate chains simultaneously, with priority supporting my Strato clients in one chain (but not exclusively), and the other chain available to Strato owners regardless of where you purchased your Strato. Once our clients have been taken care of, I'll make that Alto available to other Strato owners as well.

I will keep this service available for one year to start, and may extend based on need.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The personal information you provide to me (email, addresses, phone numbers) WILL NOT BE SHARED with anyone, at anytime, with exception to your address being shared with the owner responsible for shipping to you. They will not be given your other contact info unless YOU want it shared for shipping communication purposes. You WILL NOT receive any marketing emails, phone calls, or texts messages from anyone, including me or my businesses, and your personal info will not be entered into any database. Basically what I'm trying to say is there is no hidden motivation behind the establishment of this Service, it is solely being provided as a service to our Members. If this Service supports more Strato purchases in general, or Store participation, that's fine, it can only benefit all K owners in the long term, BUT, that is not the motivation behind this offer. I do however encourage those interested in purchasing a Strato system to contact their dealer. This forum will still support you with this service regardless of where you purchase your system.

Feel free to post any questions.

Jim

Ahmad78

I've decided to start this service for forum Members. I've agreed to purchase 2 Alto Players from K (these are not officially available for sale because Alto's are a discontinued component). They will ship to me this week, and I will make them available to members beginning next week. I decided not to use Vaults for two reasons, first they cost more to ship, and given that Members are responsible for shipping to the next Member (see rules below), I want to keep the costs reasonable, and second, Vaults are more easily damaged in shipping, and that will cause additional delays in supporting this service.

Here are the details:

1. Members that would like to borrow an Alto to catalog their physical discs will need to contact me directly, either by email at CINELIFELLC@GMAIL.COM, or by messaging me on this Forum (use the envelope immediately to the right of your Forum name at the top of the page). I will need your complete shipping address and a contact phone number. You will be placed on a non-published (private) list in the order of contact. I will pay the shipping to you, and you will pay the shipping to return it to me, OR, to the next person in line (I will provide the shipping info for that next person in line, but not the phone number).

2. With exception to the cost of shipping the Alto to the next owner in line, this is a FREE service. You will have two weeks to catalog your discs, but would appreciate you getting it done sooner if possible so we can support the next member. (The individual discs actually catalog fairly quickly, but obviously the trade off is the fact that you have to do this one disc at a time.) I'm starting with two weeks because of the number of Members I expect will want to catalog, and for new Strato owners looking for this Service. If there is no owner waiting in line, that can be extended but no longer than 3 weeks total time because I'm encouraging owners to make the temporary time sacrifice to get the cataloging completed. (We can discuss that time limit if there is no one waiting in line.)

The shipping chain would look like this: I ship to owner A, then A ships to owner B, then B ships to owner C, etc., and the last person in line returns the Alto to me. I will operate two separate chains simultaneously, with priority supporting my Strato clients in one chain (but not exclusively), and the other chain available to Strato owners regardless of where you purchased your Strato. Once our clients have been taken care of, I'll make that Alto available to other Strato owners as well.

I will keep this service available for one year to start, and may extend based on need.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The personal information you provide to me (email, addresses, phone numbers) WILL NOT BE SHARED with anyone, at anytime, with exception to your address being shared with the owner responsible for shipping to you. They will not be given your other contact info unless YOU want it shared for shipping communication purposes. You WILL NOT receive any marketing emails, phone calls, or texts messages from anyone, including me or my businesses, and your personal info will not be entered into any database. Basically what I'm trying to say is there is no hidden motivation behind the establishment of this Service, it is solely being provided as a service to our Members. If this Service supports more Strato purchases in general, or Store participation, that's fine, it can only benefit all K owners in the long term, BUT, that is not the motivation behind this offer. I do however encourage those interested in purchasing a Strato system to contact their dealer. This forum will still support you with this service regardless of where you purchase your system.

Feel free to post any questions.

Jim

What you do for all of us is remarkable and outstanding Jim such a great service to all of us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJHT

Should members wipe the Alto after using? So each time it is seen as a new unit? Your probably providing an instruction sheet.... SJ

matth22

One thing I've never learned is patience! I always buy movies before they go on sale and I already bought an Alto for just this purpose! :)

If you haven't already, this is an excellent opportunity and Jim has always been willing to do whatever he can to make this community grow and feel like an actual community. I tip my hat.

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Should members wipe the Alto after using? So each time it is seen as a new unit? Your probably providing an instruction sheet.... SJ

Yes, the owner will temporarily group the Alto to their Store account and then follow J. Green's comment in Post #10, below.

Yes, I had planned to provide a brief email instruction to those members using the Service.

Jim

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Thanks for the kind words guys.....I'm happy to help.....we're all in this together.

Jim

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Nothing "transfers," the cataloging process only reads your current disc and basically informs the Store that you own a certain title, and what the resolution is, DVD or Blu-ray, and this will generate D2D offers in your account (under "Manage" in the Store).

Jim

PatekGirl

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Thank you, this will be great!
Will this work for titles/movies not currently in the K-store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.Green

◥ ◣ Kaleidescape, Inc.
Yes, the owner will temporarily group the Alto to their existing Strato system.
One thing to note about the above:
If the user registers the Alto to their Store account as a separate, stand-alone system and then catalogs their DVD and Blu-ray discs, they will, indeed, be able to take advantage of disc-to-digital offers for titles that are available in the store. However, once they unregister the Alto from the store account, they will no longer have any D2D offers available for any of the content that was catalogued solely on the Alto since that system is no longer registered to their account.

It would be better to group the Alto with their existing Terra/Strato system and catalog their discs. This way, the cataloging information is synchronized across all servers in the system. They can then remove the Alto from the system but the cataloging information will remain in the local databases of their Strato and/or Terra and they will still have digital offers for those discs available to them unless or until they delete the cataloged content from their system.

Once the user removes the Alto from their systems, they should delete all catalogued content (and user-created collections/scripts, etc) from the Alto before shipping it out.

NOTE: If you do it this way, any Blu-ray Disc content cataloged will *not* appear on the OSD of the Strato since the Strato can't play it.

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Thanks John, and yes, we anticipate they are grouping it to their existing Strato/Terra system, using the same Store email. (For anyone confused, John was kind enough to clarify the language I used in describing the process, so I made those changes.)

Jim

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
A few people have reached out, if you are interested in using one of these Alto's for cataloging let me know. I'm expecting the Alto's this week and will start shipping by next Friday.

Jim

Custom-Integrated

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Is the Alto the only disc player that will accomplish this? Or are there other models that will do it as well?

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
The Cinema One 2nd Gen will do it as well. (It is also automatically done in a Premiere system when a disc is imported.)

Jim