• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Blu-ray quality downloads and UltraViolet

Canada?

Hi Tom,

Great news on the HD downloads and congrats on all the hard work bringing this to fruition. Any news/insight on the situation in Canada and other regions?

Thanks,

Wayne

So far so good on my end with the downloads. I'm averaging 41.5mbps for blu ray quality downloads.

I'll get to UV and Flixter in the next few days.

I am really impressed so far and appreciate Kaleidescape's efforts. Thanks! :)

Also note that many of the DVD/BR you may have purchased physically over the last year or two have paper inserts with a UV code for that movie. If you go find those and punch those codes in on the UV site, you'll get that movie added to your UV account, too.

I thought UV was kind of a passing when I first tried it. The software was buggy and not much had it so I've ignored/tossed most of those. *sigh*

--Donnie

I've made it a priority when purchasing BR discs to buy the multiple disc packs: Blu-ray, 3D, DVD, and digital copy (usually iTunes). Always worth it to me as I keep one in the k player, DVD in the car (for the kids where appropriate) or to lend my nephew, and a digital copy on my iPhone and iPads for traveling.

This is why when K announced this service, it was exactly what I wanted and started my purchases. And when they allow upgrading of DVDs to BR at a nominal fee, it was icing on the cake!! The cherry will be Disney. Hopefully they're close because until then ill need the physical discs for the kids.

We're past the age we need it now, but there was a time when we'd make our own copies of DVDs of the kid movies just because if we didn't it was too easy for them to get trashed in the car and such. Then we got to where we stopped bothering with cars with "rear entertainment systems" because the kids have their own iOS devices anyway and we just ripped the physical media ourselves. But that's much more of a pain than UV, IMHO, assuming I can just buy stuff once via something like the K-store.

So yeah, life is getting better...

--Donnie

When will the store come to Canada?

Anybody have an idea when will the store be available in Canada?
I'm sick of having to buy in iTunes.
Please, come to Canada soon.
:)

Suggestions

After doing multiple downloads over the weekend, I must say this is top notch! I do have a couple of suggestions:

1) I would like the ability to pre-order new releases and have them start downloading automatically on the release date (I.e. Cloud Atlas coming May 14th).
2) I would like the ability to put movies in a "wish list" of some kind to keep track of movies I want to down load at some point.

John

Blue Ray downloads from Kstore

Tom,
I wanted to confirm that by purchasing a BR title from the Kscape store it is not necessary to have the BR disc present in an M-Class player or disk vault to be able to play the BR title correct?

Thanks!
Nicholas

Tom,
I wanted to confirm that by purchasing a BR title from the Kscape store it is not necessary to have the BR disc present in an M-Class player or disk vault to be able to play the BR title correct?

Thanks!
Nicholas

That's correct, no physical disc is needed. As a side benefit, the K Store maintains a list of all your purchases. Those movies could be downloaded again in the unlikely event that all content in a Server is lost.

(Not sure when Tom will have time to answer, so I'm offering up the answer.)

Jim

I like the new Info status bar with ability to select scenes and songs while video is playing.
With downloads the special features are also available.

Will these special feature tags be updated for physical discs?

Example, Batman Begins Download has direct acces to special features, however, physical Blu-Ray import still has the slow Play Disc to access the special features. Will these tags be updated?

Will these special feature tags be updated for physical discs?

Example, Batman Begins Download has direct acces to special features, however, physical Blu-Ray import still has the slow Play Disc to access the special features. Will these tags be updated?

My BR version of The Hobbit now has supplemental features bookmarked so it looks like yes - as long as you have the right version.

John

That was a really nice write up. I think that the Dark Knight Rises download referenced in the article may have been me. And, for the record, it downloaded complete with supplemental material in 2 hours 31 minutes. I would also like to say that the updated software has been fantastic. It's great to see all of the special features without having to use Play Disc. It actually makes them more likely to be used. And during playback of the movie, the bar on the bottom when using the info button is a nice added touch to access other features. I have even used the flixster and ultraviolet aspect of the downloads so that my kids can watch some of the movies on an iPad. It worked great for me. And it's so much easier than having to go through each disc that I have purchased to find and input a code. Overall I am really impressed with the download store. It makes me happy that I took the plunge to purchase a Kaleidescape. I think it will lead to us buying more movies than we would regularly. And more TB's of storage. Yikes!

UV only DVD upgrade

Just adding to a couple of comments I saw earlier in the thread... I for one would be keen on having the option to add UV rights to a DVD version of a movie I have in my library without having to upgrade to a BluRay copy.

Presumably this could be priced below the $6.99 that gives both the UV rights & BluRay upgrade together - but more importantly, from a storage perspective it would avoid chewing up the additional server space for those movies which I'm happy to keep watching in DVD quality.

The upgrade fee to get the UV rights would be worth it to me to avoid the various - lengthy/tedious - workarounds I use to get my movies into an iOS compatible format.

[BTW - as a UK user it'll be interesting to see both when the Store goes live over here, & what the UK pricing looks like...]

Rgds
Simon

Just adding to a couple of comments I saw earlier in the thread... I for one would be keen on having the option to add UV rights to a DVD version of a movie I have in my library without having to upgrade to a BluRay copy.

Presumably this could be priced below the $6.99 that gives both the UV rights & BluRay upgrade together - but more importantly, from a storage perspective it would avoid chewing up the additional server space for those movies which I'm happy to keep watching in DVD quality.

The upgrade fee to get the UV rights would be worth it to me to avoid the various - lengthy/tedious - workarounds I use to get my movies into an iOS compatible format.

[BTW - as a UK user it'll be interesting to see both when the Store goes live over here, & what the UK pricing looks like...]

I agree with this. There are a LOT of movies on my system that I couldn't really care less if they did a BR version or not...it won't be any better to me that way. And I'd prefer to keep the footprint smaller. But having UV versions of those movies would DEFINITELY be nice.

--Donnie

I agree with this. There are a LOT of movies on my system that I couldn't really care less if they did a BR version or not...it won't be any better to me that way. And I'd prefer to keep the footprint smaller. But having UV versions of those movies would DEFINITELY be nice.

--Donnie

There are ways to obtain UV copies of a DVD separate from K that are a bit more cumbersome. What K has done, as usual, is make the process a whole lot simpler. K is essentially offering a hybrid of existing plans offered by the studios.

First, UV versions/codes for certain DVDs can be obtained via the following ($2 for DVD to SD UV; $5 for DVD to HD UV): http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/3844624/walmart-now-allows-disc-to-digital-from-home

Second, bluray discs for certain Warner Bros. DVDs can also be obtained for $5: http://www.dvd2blu.com

Without jumping through a bunch of hoops, K is offering, for $6.99, a UV version and a bluray equivalent version for a stored copy of a DVD without the hassle currently available in the market. More importantly, the bluray equivalent version won't require a bluray to be stored in a vault for playback and surrender of the DVD. You also avoid the separate process of getting the code through the Walmart service (essentially Vudu/UV migration).

If you just want a UV code for a DVD, you do have options online. Just dig out those discs again.

Without jumping through a bunch of hoops, K is offering, for $6.99, a UV version and a bluray equivalent version for a stored copy of a DVD without the hassle currently available in the market. More importantly, the bluray equivalent version won't require a bluray to be stored in a vault for playback and surrender of the DVD. You also avoid the separate process of getting the code through the Walmart service (essentially Vudu/UV migration).

If you just want a UV code for a DVD, you do have options online. Just dig out those discs again.

You missed the point. Some of want the simplicity of the K system but WITHOUT GETTING THE HIGH RES VERSION PERIOD. We want the movie on our K systems, too, in DVD quality. And we're fine with the SD version of the UV. But as of now you can only "upgrade" to HD versions and you pay $6.99 for the privilege. For many movies I have, that means I'm eating up a LOT more storage on my K server than I'd like since it won't make the movie experience enough better to matter. And then the download to my iPad is way bigger than I need, etc.

So while I understand the value in the $6.99 "upgrade", I'd really love the option of a cheaper solution that turns the movie into an SD download with UV, too.

And believe me, I know I can get UV versions of movies outside of K.

--Donnie

I believe you Donnie. Basically you want K to sell you the SD UV version for DVDs on your K system. Maybe they'll do that, but I don't really see why. You can accomplish that on your own for $2/movie. What you can't accomplish on your own is to have a K download of an HD version on your server to the extent that version exists for a DVD. As a sweetener, K is providing you a user-friendly method to acquire an accompanying UV code.

I understand your issue. I have a different issue. I don't want UV and I don't want a UV contract, the service, or the requirement to have a UV membership for the sake of upgrading a DVD version on my K system to an available HD version. I don't want any part of supporting UV for my own reasons. I'm on the other side. I want the HD upgrade option for $6.99 but refuse to participate in UV to take advantage of that option. I don't agree with the UV terms of service.

Jay

Back