• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Blu-ray quality downloads and UltraViolet

TomBarnett

Kaleidescape, Inc.
◥ ◣ Kaleidescape, Inc.
We’ve just updated the Kaleidescape Store, adding Blu-ray quality downloads, UltraViolet rights for mobile devices, and updates to the user interface for shopping based on feedback we’ve received over the past few months.

Check it out and let us know what you think!
http://store.kaleidescape.com

A few things to note:
1) To get started watching movies you’ve purchased from the Kaleidescape Store on your mobile device:
a. Create an UltraViolet account at uvvu.com if you don’t already have one
b. Link your UltraViolet account to your Kaleidescape Store account on the Account page
c. Link your UltraViolet account to Flixster, and then use the Flixster app for your mobile device to enjoy your movies on the go
Movies you’ve already purchased from the Kaleidescape Store will be automatically added to your UltraViolet account. It may take a few minutes for those titles to appear in Flixster, and you may need to refresh the app. Once your accounts are linked, future purchases will appear automatically in Flixster and other UltraViolet services like VUDU.

2) Titles you’ve bought from the Kaleidescape Store in DVD quality can be upgraded to Blu-ray quality for $6.99. To qualify for this offer, you must first link your Kaleidescape Store account with your UltraViolet account.

3) In a few weeks, we’ll also be enabling titles you own on DVD disc to be upgraded for the same $6.99 price.

The official announcement will follow – we wanted to get some first impressions from our friends on the owners’ forum first.

Tom Barnett
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Last edited:
That's great, thanks Tom!!!:)

Heading to the store now........:D

Jim

Now this is what I have been waiting for. Just started my first HD download. It's going to be a fun weekend!

John

I'm so excited. I've got 2 downloads going and I setup my ultraviolet and flixster accounts. The Dark Knight Rises says it's only going to take around 2 hours to download. Hopefully that's true which isn't that much worse than importing a bluray.

First download complete - tried a catalog title Point of No Return (22.5 GB). Averaged 45.9 Mbps. Just a bit over an hour in total download time. I have the FIOS 150/65 plan.

Fantastic. Will try a couple of others.

I've attached a screen shot.

Great job Kaleidescape.

Attachments

• point-of-no-return-download.png
    point-of-no-return-download.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 29
Tom, what about the prospect of upgrading our bluray titles for $6.99 so we could free up space on our vaults? I think I would be willing to pay again for that convenience.

Tom, what about the prospect of upgrading our bluray titles for $6.99 so we could free up space on our vaults? I think I would be willing to pay again for that convenience.

+1 on this.

John

I need your download speeds!!!!! I'm topped off at 13Mbs, and currently downloading at 9.5 (according to the service), and it shows 8 hrs, 40 minutes remaining!!!!!

I guess my Servers will be in a constant download mode going forward.

Jim

Seems to be working.

Another question...so anything we buy in the store we can get via UV. But what about stuff we already have in our collection? Will there be any way to "upgrade" those for UV support? My guess is if you upgrade to HD you can, but what about titles for which there isn't any upgrade to HD and you own the DVD. Are those likely not available via UV anyway?

This is a big and very cool step already, though. I'm not totally on board with the idea of having to pay to "upgrade" a blu-ray title just to not have to have it in the vault. At least not the full $7. Seems like that should be cheaper, honestly. That said, I've not been an early adopter of Blu-ray anyway, so space in a vault isn't an issue for me in any way.

--Donnie

I am in the midst of my first download and running 25.3Mbps - which is the speed of my ISP.

John

Interestingly, I've never played with UV or Flixster before this. Flixster offers an attempt at solving my "pre-purchased DVD" issue by saying you can download the Mac/PC client and pop your DVDs in to get them into Flixster. It *implies* that the DVD version would be free and that you can "upgrade" to the HD version, but in reality both cost. It's $2.50 for the SD and $5 for the HD (which does include the SD version).

I know how to rip my own DVDs to an iPad for free, so that's not terribly interesting. But if I could do the same thing via the Kscape store for the DVDs I already own at similar pricing, I might be coerced. Just because I know how to rip my own doesn't mean it doesn't take time and aggravation to do it, making it worth a few bucks otherwise.

--Donnie

Does the HD+ BluRay price include both HD+ and SD DVD for older players?

I believe it does as I just purchased Grand Torino and have both options now.

515 HD titles so far

By my count I see 515 HD titles, hopefully many more to come but I guess they have to start somewhere.

I'm still surprised they haven't rolled out any disc delivery service as part of this. A 4TB drive filled with HD movies is going to get delivered a whole lot faster via snail mail than 4TB over the internet (unless you happen to be in a place like KC with 1Gig download speeds).

Great news!

I bought my first movie and I instantly saw the UV copy in my account.

When I tried to download I got this message:
"Some titles will not download until an automatic kOS update is installed"
I have version 5.0.4-12205 since April 17th. I did the manual restart as suggested in order to force an update but nothing happened.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

KEAOS Update

Try powering down your entire system then waiting about 2 minutes and start it up again. I just received my latest update on the 17th.

The software should be delivered to your system soon. You will need 5.1 for the new download capability.

Jim

Tom, any chance you guys can/will raise the bandwidth cap above 100 Mbps?

I'm loving it so far, downloaded a few things last night.

Would love to see an option that would show me all the movies I own on SD that are available for HD upgrades.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back