• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Blu-Ray Player Feature Requests

I would like to see simultaneous DD output through optical out. I want this for D-Box- i doubt they will have their act together to run from HDMI by the time this thing hits, so getting the dd signal out for them to sync with is a must while the truehd or dts master is going out through the hdmi output.

Presumably a future BR player would have a built in BR reader (like the current movie player). If so, it would be nice if there was a front panel switch that you could select that would simply run the BR disc as if the player were a standard BR player - ie, don't rip the bits, just play the BR disc. Occationally, you get a BR disk and you want to see it right now, rather than waiting 20 minutes for a rip to finish.

The current K player does this- when you pop in a disc it asks you if youd like to import it first. If you do not answer it just rips the disc. I think one thing that K could do is give you the option to change the default to just play the disc rather than rip it.

The mini system has 2 additional zone outputs to play Audio. In a BR player, a feature I would like is 3-4 audio only zones available in both analog and digital outputs.

I'm certainly not defending high-priced cables here, but I would have to know more about the testing conditions (Speakers/Amps/Distance, etc.) and people involved before believing that article (not saying it isn't true). These A-B comparisons show up regularly in blogs and are usually posted by some Monster hater who never provides anymore details.

Having said that, most of the cables I own (don't own or sell monster cable) and use are from low priced online providers and I've never had a problem with any cable. I've also tested (subjective listening only) some VERY expensive cables ($12,000 for a pair of 3 meter cables) against some of my $25 speaker cable of the same length and personally could not hear a difference.

So "perhaps" there is merit to your coat hanger request.:D

Jim

I actually did run a blind test on cables using an ABX testing method comparing $1200 Straightwire against some 12ga. wire off a bulk spool. Once I announced the test on AVS, lots of disbelievers started explaining all the hoops I would have to jump through to make sure people wouldn't be able to tell which was which. Odd they were so strong in their believe you cannot tell but paranoid they might be proven wrong.

In the end, I just swapped the cables back and forth according to my pre-generated random order and had people pick which cable they thought X was. We tested a large number of types of music off of CD, SACD, DVD-A. No person passed the test, nor did any one musical selection or souce show any propensity to revealing the difference (nothing scored over 60% on as 50/50 test). I posted results on AVS a while back. The most humorous response was that my gear wasn't good enough to show the difference yet I was using about $60k of gear for the 2-channel system. If that can't show it, I have a hard time believing the "night and day difference" statements on any rig.

Rather than a coat hanger on the back, I would rather see something that can lock an HDMI cable in place so it won't slip out.

Wow, on page 3 and nothing on this request...

1. SLOW MOTION on film playback (makes it so much better for setting favorite scenes)

2. Ability to set and remember favorite scenes and film starting locations on BluRay.

3. If we were getting crazy on requests, I would ask for jog shuttle but I doubt they would add that. I had it on my old laserdisc player back in the day and it was real cool when analyzing films, special effects, etc.

Hi Mike,

Completely agree on the cables.

K is aware of the feature requests in this thread, but not sure what can/will actually be available in the upcoming BR Player.

On HDMI locking, it will be nice when they finally design both ends to lock together, until then we have these:

www.blueechosolutions.com/

Jim

Ditto on the slow motion or at least not having to rewind/FF in a minimum of 8 second increments (2 or 4 would be nice)

and on the Favorite Scenes requests.... Organizing them into folders and what not. Since Regwood and Josh and others have about a billion favorite scenes that they have shared, I know that is something that they are looking for in order to more easily get through them. I only have 300+ movies and I find it cumbersome to page through it.

For something more Blu-ray specific, internal decoding of DTS HD Master Audio etc. Don't know how feasible that is. My 9 month old Anthem AVM50 pre-pro doesn't do it and I am not planning on replacing it anytime soon.

I'm guessing here the hardware design of the K-BLP is well and truly locked in by now, and there's nothing we can say here that would change it. I know it won't have an HD-SDI output, but it would be good if the hardware design could support a 3rd party HD-SDI mod.

I would love it if the player could also interface with the 7000es blue ray changer by sony. I am sure the blue ray movies will take up a lot of space but this may be a way to help with that.

Also some competitors have something coming out to be able to use the 7000es with there format.

I doubt K would give up a part of their revenue stream (storage) by allowing what you suggest. The whole point is to "store" content on "their" server (not Sony's changer). Nice thought however.......:)

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we have heard that the K Blu Laser player will have the ability to download content, it seems to me that K may be gearing up to be a content provider (whether solo or with a partner remains to be known).

If possible, for High Def content, one way to differentiate yourself besides for a lower price than Blu Ray discs, could be if you could offer 2.35:1 movies in anamorphic for those with 2.35:1 displays. My guess is this is too small a market, but right now for example all of us watching a 2.35:1 movie are not getting true 1080 - were getting something akin to 1920x818. Id like my extra pixels! :)

I would love it if the player could also interface with the 7000es blue ray changer by sony. I am sure the blue ray movies will take up a lot of space but this may be a way to help with that.

Also some competitors have something coming out to be able to use the 7000es with there format.

I doubt K would give up a part of their revenue stream (storage) by allowing what you suggest. The whole point is to "store" content on "their" server (not Sony's changer). Nice thought however.......:)

Jim

They could always just sell a Blue Ray changer of their own. :) They could probably charge as much as the equivalent storage would cost and people would still buy it.

Back