• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

black Friday movie sale

I'm down to .5 MB/s. Its going to take 48hrs to download one movie.........my advice to K would be to let the actual sales be recorded but to stage the downloads so that service levels can be managed in better fashion than this. After all these movies are NOT time sensitive or at least not in my case. I am happy to book the sale but I admit that I was hesitant based on the four to six month window required to download them.

Peter

I suspect the traffic will rebound as some of the people complete their downloads but I suspect they had a tremendous number of people with 40+ titles. If that is the case, it might take a week for the speeds to come back up.

I still have 170 discs to download as of this morning and a few free movie credits to spend.

I know they don't release information on sales, but I would love to see what kind of volume they had since they opened the store and see the jump on this sale.

I'm down to .5 MB/s. Its going to take 48hrs to download one movie.........my advice to K would be to let the actual sales be recorded but to stage the downloads so that service levels can be managed in better fashion than this. After all these movies are NOT time sensitive or at least not in my case. I am happy to book the sale but I admit that I was hesitant based on the four to six month window required to download them.

Peter

Peter,

I have seen them drop down that low just for a little bit but the average will likely be much higher than that if you are not constrained by your ISP.

I am still able to download at a good rate. I am running 2 streams right now and my last download rates were:

Cinema 1

3U server

I have seen them drop a bit in the last day but still a decent speed. The best I have ever had was 63.9 mbit before the sale started.

Going pretty well for me. Normally in the 40-45Mbps download speeds from the store. I've been averaging around 22-30 Mbps since the sale started. Purchased 56 movies, downloading the 24th now.

I have 5 mbps at the last check and the download speed for the last two movies was 9 dropping to 7 for the last movie. I have a dedicated 60mbps business grade just for the K system and there have been no service disruptions or degradation of service that I know of at my end. I do understand the demand issue at K's end so since the immediacy of the download is not an issue for me (I have lots to watch before getting to these) can I help out by pausing the download for a week or so or will I lose the special pricing?

Peter

I have 5 mbps at the last check and the download speed for the last two movies was 9 dropping to 7 for the last movie. I have a dedicated 60mbps business grade just for the K system and there have been no service disruptions or degradation of service that I know of at my end. I do understand the demand issue at K's end so since the immediacy of the download is not an issue for me (I have lots to watch before getting to these) can I help out by pausing the download for a week or so or will I lose the special pricing?

Peter

Hi Peter,
I reviewed the stores rules and I see nothing about a time limit. You're charged when you order, not when you download. Additionally, if you were to delete a purchased title at any time you can download it again at no charge. So if you order during the sale, I don't see how you'd lose the special pricing.

That is correct. The pricing is based on when you buy, not when you download. Also, you can download them at any time after you buy them. The special pricing is over on Monday. I wonder if there will be any other great sales like this after the Black Friday sale is over.

I suspect the traffic will rebound as some of the people complete their downloads but I suspect they had a tremendous number of people with 40+ titles. If that is the case, it might take a week for the speeds to come back up.

I still have 170 discs to download as of this morning and a few free movie credits to spend.

I know they don't release information on sales, but I would love to see what kind of volume they had since they opened the store and see the jump on this sale.

I only have a lowly 10Mb/s Metro-E connection (will be upping to 20Mb/s when ATT gets their collective heads out of their butts), but it's usually good about getting me that full bandwidth. I got 5.5Mb/s with the first movie, 3.2 with the second, and now I'm getting less than 1 with the third. Yes, I think this sale has killed their outbound pipe. And I "only" bought 30 movies.

Unless they have a way to up their pipe size, I think this is going to be a problem for more than a week!

--Donnie

Unless they have a way to up their pipe size, I think this is going to be a problem for more than a week!

--Donnie

Personally, I find it a gutsy move. Maybe a stress test of their system to see what they need to improve going forward.

I also wonder how much money they can be making on the $1.50 downloads. I'd have thought WB would want that much or more in royalties.

It's clear to me thought that these guys have come to play in the download market and the K store makes me very happy. I'd love to have a full 3U server and only need one M700.

I'd certainly be willing the suspend my downloads, but really have no idea if it would help fellow K owners or just waste time.

Personally, I find it a gutsy move. Maybe a stress test of their system to see what they need to improve going forward.

I also wonder how much money they can be making on the $1.50 downloads. I'd have thought WB would want that much or more in royalties.

It's clear to me thought that these guys have come to play in the download market and the K store makes me very happy. I'd love to have a full 3U server and only need one M700.

I'd certainly be willing the suspend my downloads, but really have no idea if it would help fellow K owners or just waste time.

Oh, I'm not blasting K for this "problem." It's a good problem to have.

As for pausing it, I don't think a few forum users doing that is going to make much of a difference.

--Donnie

I'm not blasting K either. I have paused the download. It doesn't really bother me to wait a couple of weeks.

Peter

At least from my view, no one was blasting K on this issue at all. Curiosity about it is to be expected. I just find the entire event to be a really nice surprise.

I bet some of the forum members closer to the company will have some info to share in the coming weeks.

We pull a few more studios into the mix and this is going to be a real winner.

This deal is going to cause me to have to upgrade! I am sure this was part of the strategy.

John

Last edited:
This will be my first purchase from the store. Do we need to download right away it can we have just purchased them and download at our leisure?

You can also uncheck your system(s) and the button will change from "Buy & Download Now" to "Buy Now" and just queue it for later.

Not that I know which will tick-off the credit card's anti-fraud computer more, but do they go through as a ton of tiny charges or are the individual purchases batched?

The cart seems to be there just for show, or maybe hardware, how do you buy them as a batch? Within the same day? Hour? Web session?

The cart seems to be there just for show, or maybe hardware, how do you buy them as a batch? Within the same day? Hour? Web session?

The cart is for hardware, not movies. Web session is the billing period for movie purchases in my experience. Just buy what you want and shortly after logging off you'll get a receipt for all the movies purchased via email.

Last edited:

If you buy a bunch of movies individually in a short amount of time, the charge will be submitted as a single charge to your card for the full amount (and you'll see that reflected in the email receipt that you are sent).

You can also "batch purchase" titles within the same collection/genre by clicking the "Buy all..." button in the top right corner. You don't have to buy every single movie in the collection to do this. You are given the opportunity to select/deselect individual movies in the purchase dialog before you click the final purchase button.

You can also "batch purchase" titles within the same collection/genre by clicking the "Buy all..." button in the top right corner. You don't have to buy every single movie in the collection to do this. You are given the opportunity to select/deselect individual movies in the purchase dialog before you click the final purchase button.

Well dang, I wish they had made *that* more obvious. I knew I didn't want to buy *all*, but it would have been a LOT easier to buy as many as I did if I could have just checked or unchecked a list rather than the way I did it. *sigh*

--Donnie

Back