• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Best way to connect source to display / Troubleshoot video blackouts

SimonSays

Hi,

My current setup is a Sony A95L as display, with an HDMI cable coming from my Onkyo TX-RZ50. Then I have my sources (Strato C, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP-203 4K DVD Player) connected via HDMI to the Onkyo.

I keep getting weird blackouts during some content from my Strato C. A few seconds, sound keeps playing.

The Sony TV, Strato and Onkyo are all up-to-date with latest firmwares.

Is it better to use one HDMI on the Strato to connect to the display, and use the 2nd HDMI to connect to the Onkyo just for sound?

Not sure how to troubleshoot this. Is there a hardware issue in the Onkyo? The behavior is not predictable or easily reproducible.

HDMI cables are new (Just replaced all of them with ones suggested by Jim at CineLife), TV is new, Onkyo is a few months old, Strato about a year old.

I've had a few occasions where it would black out several times in a few minutes, and a reboot of the TV seemed to fix it. Are there any known issues with the Sony A95L?

I saw your post and called Sony dealer support and they are not aware of any issues with the A95L that would cause what you are seeing. Those symptoms are typical of EDID issues, and we've found the culprit, if not cables, tends to be a Receiver or audio processor having problems with EDID.

Personally I always separate audio and video, and send video directly to the display bypassing other components in the chain, when possible. It's just one less device that has to correctly process EDID info.

Sorry those cables didn't help, but worth a try.

Jim

I saw your post and called Sony dealer support and they are not aware of any issues with the A95L that would cause what you are seeing. Those symptoms are typical of EDID issues, and we've found the culprit, if not cables, tends to be a Receiver or audio processor having problems with EDID.

Personally I always separate audio and video, and send video directly to the display bypassing other components in the chain, when possible. It's just one less device that has to correctly process EDID info.

Sorry those cables didn't help, but worth a try.

Jim

Thanks Jim

It's always good to get small things up to par, such as cables, power supplies, etc.

I've opened a case with Onkyo, I wonder how long it'll take them to come back with a solution. The RZ50 is just a few months old, so I hope they'll just warranty-exchange for a new unit.

Try different HDMI input combinations on both the TV and the Onkyo AVR. HDMI I/O may have micro variations in Voltage levels due to their different distances to the HDMI chipsets and the Voltage supplies on the circuit board. The audio/video data stream is in differential and regulated but the Display Data Channel (DDC) where EDID is transmitted is on single ended I2C bus. Some active HDMI cables insert Voltage into the DDC pins for this reason.

Just curious, but do the video dropouts occur when you are transitioning in and out of the Strato menus, or does it happen during the playback of content? I had the first issue, and it was fixed with a setting change on the Strato C. I’m am using a video processor (Lumagen RP). If you have the second issue, then it may be due to HDMI issues.

Just curious, but do the video dropouts occur when you are transitioning in and out of the Strato menus, or does it happen during the playback of content? I had the first issue, and it was fixed with a setting change on the Strato C. I’m am using a video processor (Lumagen RP). If you have the second issue, then it may be due to HDMI issues.
During playback, and it's random too.
But will keep everyone posted as I hear back from Onkyo Support, just in case someone else runs into similar issues in the future

Try different HDMI input combinations on both the TV and the Onkyo AVR. HDMI I/O may have micro variations in Voltage levels due to their different distances to the HDMI chipsets and the Voltage supplies on the circuit board. The audio/video data stream is in differential and regulated but the Display Data Channel (DDC) where EDID is transmitted is on single ended I2C bus. Some active HDMI cables insert Voltage into the DDC pins for this reason.
I'll see what Onkyo says first. Cables are all the same now, brand new, all 6ft.
There's only so much I can change in the cabling setup though...

I'll see what Onkyo says first. Cables are all the same now, brand new, all 6ft.
There's only so much I can change in the cabling setup though...
Sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean the cables but to which HDMI input you connect your Strato C. Internally some HDMI chipset and Voltage regulators are closer to some HDMI sockets. Although the distance differences can be a few tenths of an inch, this sometimes result in slight differences in the Voltage levels at the HDMI sockets. For example the first generation Radiance Pro (2RU chassis) had higher Voltages on its 8th HDMI input than its 1st one because the voltage regulator was placed closer to the 8th HDMI socket and its associated circuitry. I believe the 2nd generation (1RU) Radiance Pro addressed this with multiple Voltage regulators in critical spots on the circuit board.

Is there a chance you mainly see the problem during scenes with a lot of visual changes (i.e. lots of pans or fast-moving shots)? Just curios as these push the bit-rate to a higher level which may indicate the HDMI path (cables, switches, splitters) is “right at the edge” of handling the bandwidth requirements.

These type of problems are no fun. Lots of trial and error with cables, in/outputs, settings… good luck!

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not specifically. I had it at the start of a movie just now.
I think, as others have stated, it's likely the Onkyo TX-RZ50 having issues.
Everything is power protected and such, but it still broke, it seems.

This sounds very similar to the issues I used to have. We knew the people well in the Magnolia part of Best Buy and got one to come check it out. It was something to do with the setup of either the receiver, projector or even the back end of the Kscape. I was unable to be there when they did it but it worked perfectly well until what I assume was a change on the software or something of the Kscape itself. I started to have 'difficulty reading movie' issues when nothing had changed. I went into the back end of Kscape setup and found that after everything had been fixed, suddenly my ethernet cord was 'too slow' and was causing the issues. It was a 100 speed of cat 6 but now it needed a 1000 speed. Changed that and then worked perfectly again.

This sounds very similar to the issues I used to have. We knew the people well in the Magnolia part of Best Buy and got one to come check it out. It was something to do with the setup of either the receiver, projector or even the back end of the Kscape. I was unable to be there when they did it but it worked perfectly well until what I assume was a change on the software or something of the Kscape itself. I started to have 'difficulty reading movie' issues when nothing had changed. I went into the back end of Kscape setup and found that after everything had been fixed, suddenly my ethernet cord was 'too slow' and was causing the issues. It was a 100 speed of cat 6 but now it needed a 1000 speed. Changed that and then worked perfectly again.
The issue you're describing sounds like a transfer speed issue between your Terra and Strato.
The issue I'm seeing is actually transmitting the video and audio data from the Strato to the receiver and TV, in my case.

Onkyo Support finally emailed me back, and gave me instructions on how to do a factory reset on my receiver... Guess I'll be doing that next, though I don't really want to do another round of Dirac measurements to calibrate the room...

The issue you're describing sounds like a transfer speed issue between your Terra and Strato.
The issue I'm seeing is actually transmitting the video and audio data from the Strato to the receiver and TV, in my case.
You are correct. I was having this issue originally.

Back