• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Best practice to turn off Terra Prime servers.

Is it necessary to shut down the server? You wouldn’t be able to download movies remotely etc. I always leave mine on in the theater room but do you think it should be powered off? What could happen if it was always powered on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For my use case, yes. I care more about preserving the unit then remote downloads. I'm home most of the days of the week, so it's nothing for me to go to my theater and turn it on if I need to use it.

OK, makes sense. That aligns with the KB. My understanding was that "restoration" is actually a new download of the content to the server.
Thanks for confimation!

This is also correct. I think we're all referring to the same thing. No onboard RAID in Terra servers, so when a drive fails the content that was on THAT drive must be re-downloaded from the Store. Fortunately, this rebuilding process is normally automatic once the replacement drive is installed. The re-download (rebuilding) of content will also occur automatically if there is available unused storage space in the server.

Jim

Is it necessary to shut down the server? You wouldn’t be able to download movies remotely etc. I always leave mine on in the theater room but do you think it should be powered off? What could happen if it was always powered on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned 5U servers, 3U servers, 1U servers, Alto's, and Terra servers over the past 20 years. I've never regularly powered Off any of them, even when traveling for long periods, and regularly leave them powered On at homes I only occasionally visit. I prefer to insure proper cooling is in place and leave the drives running to avoid overworking the drives, and power supply. Not sure if the advice from K Support has changed over the years, but I've always been told the drives and power supply are better served by leaving them running.

That said, I do agree with DieZwei's comment above.

Jim

Just asked K-support to get a definitive answer. :)
Just received answer: "Yes, removing power from the server is safe" (y)
So i can provide our clients the possible to cut-off the power via automation system for longer periods (TBD per client) of absence.

Just received answer: "Yes, removing power from the server is safe" (y)
So i can provide our clients the possible to cut-off the power via automation system for longer periods (TBD per client) of absence.
Thats' two of us...

The next item to consider is the MTBF's of the K hardware pieces, WRT cold boots vs. standby time, etc..

Thank you very much

FURY

Back