• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Benefits/disadvantages to having multiple compact servers?

jfh

I have a 6TB Compact Server which I’m learning may not be big enough for what I want (yes, I know you can delete titles to save space).

im looking at buying a 12TB or 22TB unit to add to/replace the existing server.

are there any significant advantages of replacing vs adding? Or really one option over the other?

I have a 6TB Compact Server which I’m learning may not be big enough for what I want (yes, I know you can delete titles to save space).

im looking at buying a 12TB or 22TB unit to add to/replace the existing server.

are there any significant advantages of replacing vs adding? Or really one option over the other?
One thing having two does provide is some contingency for whenever repairs are required. You can delete movies and download movies you want to watch to the other one. Not sure that justifies buying two for your first purchase but suspect it's worth consideration at least. Having lost access to one of ours recently this came in handy and reduced the stress until we could get the missing one back.

The reality check is realizing the compact Terra’s download in a bout twice as much time as the bigger Terras, in my experience. Is there a compact 6 discount when buying a bigger terra? That may be an interesting comparison to what it takes to get a larger storage compact.

The Compact Terra has a much smaller footprint. It is half the width of a single rack unit. You can fit 4 of them in place of 1 Terra. They also offer a level of redundancy as Oldred mentioned. Nevertheless, I would go for a single larger Terra for less power cords/bricks, less ethernet cables and faster downloads.

The reality check is realizing the compact Terra’s download in a bout twice as much time as the bigger Terras, in my experience. Is there a compact 6 discount when buying a bigger terra? That may be an interesting comparison to what it takes to get a larger storage compact.
How fast are the ‘larger’ ones then? I have a 12 and an 18 and I don’t think I have noticed any difference so far.

I.e, typically 12-15 mins for hdr movie and 6-10 for Blu-ray. Occasionally circumstances make that longer (catalogue download etc) but infrequently. With those times I don’t think it would be a huge factor but are you saying the 6tb compact terra is much slower? Just interested.

Last year, I was getting 900-930 mbps constantly on all downloads on my Terra 72. This year I am getting 600-750mbps but rarely 900mbps. Kaleidescape discontinued the Strato with storage last year. I don’t know if this means more Terra owners now and the bandwidth is suffering.

How fast are the ‘larger’ ones then? I have a 12 and an 18 and I don’t think I have noticed any difference so far.

I.e, typically 12-15 mins for hdr movie and 6-10 for Blu-ray. Occasionally circumstances make that longer (catalogue download etc) but infrequently. With those times I don’t think it would be a huge factor but are you saying the 6tb compact terra is much slower? Just interested.
My comment stems from personal experience trying to “show off’ how easy it was to pick a movie, make popcorn and chat for a minute before the movie started. This is when i realized compact Terra’s don’t care if you have gig internet. Stiill 12-18 mins for a 4k dowunload is faster than waiting for the amazon truck. It’s just not the 7 mins number I was (mistakenly) expecting.

The compact terras just don’t have the extra horsepower.

Back