• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Bass EQ for Filtered Movies?

jmf

Hello all,
I have been reading a lot about Bass EQ for Filtered Movies and I am trying to see if the concept applies to K material from the store. As I understand it, the theory is that the studios will rolloff of filter the bass tracks as part of post-production. (I don't know why. Perhaps someone here does?) This can sometimes result in the audio track not have the same "punch" you would expect during certain parts of the movie. To adjust for this, there was a community driven effort to create filters to bring these scenes back to life. It started with folks using the miniDSP hardware and applying customer filters in-line with the subs. Ive heard some of the demo clips and the results were indeed impressive. Now some processors can support these filters directly (mine does).

With that said, I noticed most of the filters are created off of the original disc content, which makes sense given the availability and popularity. (Meaning, I didn't expect a lot of these to be built from a K system).

Since the original Bass EQ (BEQ) stuff went somewhat stagnant, there is a very active community at AVS that is now maintaining the titles, the software etc. I asked the following question over there, and I am curious what this group thinks.

1. If the source is a Kaleidescape system which is playing an uncompressed / "original" from the studio file, are the benefits of BEQ still there? The audio quality of the same title from a K system is noticeably improved from streaming, and in many cases, over the disc. One of their selling points is the fact that the audio is left untouched and is full spectrum from the studio.

2. If the above answer is "yes", then I wonder how applying the BEQ file that was built off of a disc or streamed audio source would impact the K audio source. I ask because I read the commentary about being careful on mixing Atmos, DTS-HD, TrueHD sources with the incorrect version of the filter file.

Going just from your blurb, I would expect the answer to #1 is probably yes. If the studio clipped the bass in post, then it should still be clipped in the mezzanine file K receives. However, and to #2, I would think the adjustment could be different, as it may have been further curtailed in compressing for disc authoring (or at least there will be more/different data than is present on disc, which might cause the result to be different.)

Going just from your blurb, I would expect the answer to #1 is probably yes. If the studio clipped the bass in post, then it should still be clipped in the mezzanine file K receives. However, and to #2, I would think the adjustment could be different, as it may have been further curtailed in compressing for disc authoring (or at least there will be more/different data than is present on disc, which might cause the result to be different.)

Thank you. That is pretty much what I got from someone over at AVS, he said it would most likely be helpful still since it is the studio who does it in post. Again, I have no idea why this happens, and I am curious.

As for number 2, this person also said yes, it likely *could* be different but if I used the filters based off of the disc version, it is likely the same audio source/track. I think that is the part I am not certain about. We know K in many cases is higher bit count/quality than the disc, but what about the audio?

Back