• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Avatar: The Way of Water is Coming to Digital Retailers on 3/28

I'm one of those people that get's insane migraines when experiencing a 3D movie which has forced me to pursue 2D viewings for movies like Avatar 2. When I saw A2 in theaters (at 60FPS) I was appalled at how fake everything seamed. The graphics looked like video game cutaways and it was so bad my wife and I nearly walked out. To my surprise, every person I've met who saw A2 in 3D said they were blown away by the graphics. My conclusion was that the 2D 60fps rendering of this movie did not translate well when compared to the intended 3D 60fps render.

Which leads me to my question, how does this look when viewed at home via Kaleidoscape? Do the graphics look "believable" or super fake?

I watched an interesting interview with James Cameron where he said that they used the high frame rate (48fps, not 60) because it makes the 3D effect work better. As I understood his explanation, the inherent judder in 24fps film interferes with our eyes' ability to extract the parallax information that produces our perception of depth. At 48fps, the parallax process works well and the depth effect is convincing.

My impression from watching that interview was that he didn't think there was a lot of value in HFR for 2D, but I could be mistaken about this. I don't want to put words in his mouth.

Given that you're sensitive to typical 3D showings, it might have been interesting to try the HFR 3D presentation to see whether it bothered you in the same way.

I have personally never found HFR to be enjoyable on any other content, and I _thought_ I was selecting a 24fps 3D screening of this film when I saw it in the theater because I didn't want to have a bad HFR experience again. Turns out that it was HFR 3D, and I found it extremely enjoyable.

It makes sense since 3d cuts the frame rate in half, half for each eye. So 48fps would become 24fps for each eye. At least that how I understand 3d works.

It makes sense since 3d cuts the frame rate in half, half for each eye. So 48fps would become 24fps for each eye. At least that how I understand 3d works.
It depends on the 3D method employed by the player & display/projector(s). Some halve resolution, some halve framerates, and some don't do either.

Yeah, cutting the actual frame rate in half from 24 would be pretty much unwatchable. Thinking about the home projector market, which is dominated by LCD shutter glasses, what's done more commonly is to switch between the left and right images multiple times during each 24fps frame. You lose brightness this way, but not frame rate.

The caveat is that depending on how fast the system is alternating between the left & right frames, some people may still perceive flicker. For example, if you switch back and forth twice per frame, that's running the system at 96 changes per second, or 48 "flashes" to each eye. Most people can perceive flicker at 48 hertz. If you can run the system at 144 hertz (three flashes per frame per eye), then that's 72 hertz to each eye, which is above the flicker-fusion threshold for most folks. Sim2 used to offer "triple flash" projectors that did 144 Hz for 3D. I'm not sure how common it is today.

Back