• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Automatic categories for resolution

Transepoch

When the M-class devices rolled-out, a new automatic collection was created in Premier systems for BD/HD titles. I noticed when putting demo samples together this did not get carried into the Encore lineup.

I think it would be rather helpful to have these automatic resolution/quality based collections available for HDR/UHD/HD/SD. Even outside the use I stumbled upon it for, there may be other times when you want to see what you have available in a particular format (the Strato was originally promoted as a "buy-now & we'll scale to your display" option,) as sorting on-screen GUI only shows the highest available (and doesn't filter,) and the web-GUI just shows "Multiple" (and doesn't filter) with no way of knowing if the particular one you are looking for is in that group.

If a title is available, but not downloaded, in that resolution then I would probably prefer listing it greyed-out, but being able to select no-show or grey is better.

Strato used to have an automatic UHD collection. It was removed in the kOS 10.7.0 release.

Interesting… was there a reason? Is it possible to create a personal collection using a filter for UHD that sort of accomplishes the same thing (ideally without having to manually add each movie in)?

My use case is essentially that even if my collection is a mix of UHD/HDR and HD, I really ever only want to watch the highest quality version available. So seeing what I have and it ready to go at best quality lets me pick and go immediately, vs manually checking each title.

A related use case would be viewing only my SD or HD collections to see what I want to upgrade, then picking a title, upgrading, then watching.

You could manually create a collection but you would have to add your HDR and UHD titles to that collection manually. The fastest method would be to use the Browser Interface which allows you to select multiple titles at once and add them to a collection. But it would still be onerous with a large collection.

As for your primary use case of wanting to watch the highest quality version available on your system, that is already handled by the selection grouping on Strato systems. If you have multiple qualities of the same movie downloaded, the highest quality supported by the display device you're connected to is the one that will be shown.

For example, I have the HDR, UHD, and HD versions of a movie downloaded to my system. In zone 1, I have a Strato connected to an HDR-capable display. When I select that movie in the List, Covers, or Collections place, I'll see the HDR-quality version. All of the other qualities would have to be accessed specifically using the More Options menu.

In zone 2, I have a Strato connected to a 4K TV that doesn't support HDR. In that zone, if I selected the same movie, I'd see the UHD-quality version.

An finally, in zone 3, I have an Alto connected to a 1080p TV. There, I would be presented the HD-quality version.

As for seeing HD or SD quality versions that you want to upgrade, you could do the following:
  1. Navigate to the Movie List place.
  2. Scroll to the far right of any row (the "Quality" column) and press "OK" to sort the list by that quality
  3. Scroll through your HD and SD titles to see which ones you want to upgrade.
I admit that it's not as elegant as a filter but, at least for now, we don't support filtering on the Quality column.

sorting by quality could be a workaround. It would just be awesome to be able to tell visually in the primary browsing view.

Got it, thanks!

Back