• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Auto Flagging DVD Duplicates

JerryL

As many are going to the BR setup, it means there is a strong likelihood of the DVD version of those BR discs stored on the system. Right now you have to manually go through your collection and look for duplicates. I suggest an auto flag for duplicate titles that the user could manually review before moving the flagged titles to the trash.

Good idea. But as a workaround, I think you can use the free Kaleidescape iPhone app to scan your BR's and tell you if you already have the DVD version on your system, yes? I know it's not automatic like you're requesting, but it can work and save you a bit of searching.

Auto flagging would be helpful, but I found it not too difficult to just move through the collection alphabetically scanning for duplicate titles and then moving the DVD versions to the trash.

I'd like to see a "box" we could check that would tell the system to automatically move the DVD to the trash. This way, for those that keep both versions (perhaps someone with multiple BR/DVD players that wants the DVD version accessible in other non-BR rooms) you would leave the box unchecked. (Same basic idea.)

Jim

Jim, thats what I do. Josh that would drive me crazy. Just saying it wouldn't be too difficult to automate this and I bet it is the installers and dealers who will be tasked with this in 99% of the systems and it would be a lot more time efficient for them to have such a feature.

Auto flagging would be helpful, but I found it not too difficult to just move through the collection alphabetically scanning for duplicate titles and then moving the DVD versions to the trash.

I'd like to see a "box" we could check that would tell the system to automatically move the DVD to the trash. This way, for those that keep both versions (perhaps someone with multiple BR/DVD players that wants the DVD version accessible in other non-BR rooms) you would leave the box unchecked. (Same basic idea.)

Jim
The only drawback to this method is there are still far too many times where the extras & features are stripped out for the BD-re-release. Maybe an option to hide them under the BD listing, either under the Play Disc option or just sunk to the bottom of the show's menu.

The only drawback to this method is there are still far too many times where the extras & features are stripped out for the BD-re-release. Maybe an option to hide them under the BD listing, either under the Play Disc option or just sunk to the bottom of the show's menu.

Good point. Being a person that hardly ever looks at the extras, especially the "how they tricked me" stuff, I hadn't considered that issue.

Jim

Thats true- perhaps theres a way to flag that a DVD has extras and if the BR doesnt and the user could be alerted to this.

I'm not a huge extras watcher, but on movies that are really fascinating to me, I will watch them so I import the extras discs selectively with BR due to storage considerations.

They would have some work making sure the DVD and BluRay were linked in their database and that might be a bit of work. It isn't like T2 on BluRay is going to link to only one DVD and then there is the issue of shared film names, like "The Girl Next Door" which I have on DVD starring Elisha Cuthbert and on BluRay which is most definitely not a comedy (and not an adult title either).

Also, what about when one has different versions, like Lord of the Rings theatrical on BluRay and extended cut on DVD? Or if the trailer for the film is on the DVD but not on the BluRay?

Speaking of trailers, I would like it if we had a "trailers" collection that would link each film's trailer.

That would be true- what it could do is if requested create a list of movies that have duplicate/ similar names and let you decide. Which is a semi automated version of Jims (and my current) approach; but, it would save some eye strain.

Back