• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Auro-3D?

Steve Bruzonsky

I have got all my Kaleidescape gear pretty much after taking my dedicated theater down and the renovation/upgrading is still in process many months later, due to integrator delays, Covid-19 delays, and my changing and upgrading so much from the original plan.

I know that here in the U.S. not many blu ray or 4k blu ray discs offer Auro-3D native soundtracks, same when it comes to movie theaters in the U.S. I understand in Europe there are a lot more blu ray or 4k blu ray Auro-3D native soundtracks.

Here in the U.S., I understand I have the option in the KScape settings to output PCM instead of bitrate, and then I can use my Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP to upsample the base 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby or DTS layer to Atmos 3-D (that Dolby has removed the restriction of using other upmixers - am I correct in this regard?). But I don't think I have ever seen any native Auro-3D tracks on any blu ray or 4k blu ray on KScape - so I assume KScape does not offer Auro-3D soundtracks even if they are available for a particular movie. And I assume there are licensing restrictions and substantial costs involved with the idea of even offering Auro-3D soundtracks making it impractical.

Brett or anyone, any info you can provide on this is appreciated. Thanks.

I have a few Auro 3-D encoded Blu-rays (some audio titles and Red Tails German version); I can say that the Kaleidescape has no problem importing and playing back these discs, so certainly not a technical limitation on their side. It would be cool if they would add Pure Audio (Pure Audio) as a studio, then we could download some really high-res music in surround.

Nice to know KScape can play the Auro-3D track on a blu ray disc if you have one of their disc players - but KScape doesn't have a 4k disc player, and again, my understanding is the KScape store titles do not have Auro-3D tracks on those few discs, at least in the U.S., which have Auro-3D tracks. Correct me if I am mistaken.

As for hi res music (without video), I do all this via ROON and hard-wired ethernet, the very best sound quality. Now don't get me wrong, video concerts via HDMI still sound very nice, just not as nice to my audiophile ear & brain. So I have no interest in blu ray audio via ROON if video isn't involved. And that includes all the 2L (Norway) blu ray audio discs which I have ripped for playing via ROON (or when my theater is finally renovated and remodeled playing their Dolby Atmos or Auro-3D tracts in my theater, although via HDMI).

Back