• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Audio Issues

Hi, don't know if others are having an issue, but on Joker I had multiple audio drop outs... VERY annoying. I then watched IT / IT2 this weekend and again noticed multiple times where the audio stops and I have to stop the movie and restart it...

My chain goes from Strato to Lumagen to Trinnov Altitude.

Strange, but the video is fine, no issues what so ever.

Is anyone else having an issue?

Thanks.

Have not had an issue with those films, but I have the same components and I had some minor audio dropouts until I took the Altitude out of the video chain. You didn't mention the distribution side, so this may not apply, but I only send the audio out of Lumi to the Altitude, and video out of Lumi direct to the projector (I suspect you do the same), and this solved the problem.

There are several other reasons this can happen, bad download (very unusual, but delete and re-download usually solves the problem if it was a bad download), a drive going bad (read/write errors get worse over time, you might check with K Support to have them look at your drives), cables going bad (HDMI can fail), network glitch, or perhaps a component problem (player, Lumi, Trinnov, etc.).

Jim

Hey Jim, I did contact support as well. I saw other comments on avs stating that people are having similar issues with audio dropout. I go directly from Strato to Lumagen then directly from Lumagen to Trinnov and Projector. Not sure if adding the Trinnov into the mix caused the issue or not. Got some new cables coming here next cpl of days to see if that is the issue.

One of my guest rooms only has a Strato 12TB going directly to a Sony 98" Z9G, and there are zero dropouts in that setup (to this point anyway). The simpler the setup, the less likely an issue will present, which is logical of course, but most of us have complex setups, with many moving parts, and unless an obvious problem is found it is extremely difficult to isolate the cause of a few audio dropouts. What makes this even more difficult is that you can often playback that same movie at a later date and not experience the dropouts. Head scratcher for sure.......

Jim

I know that Lumagen has implemented several fixes for Trinnov specific issues. I’m getting one later this week for our theater and spoke to them regarding setup. You may want to reach out to Lumagen support. Their Lumagen Theater has a Strato and Trinnov. I know they recommend Tributaries 2M UHD cables for sources as well as between the Lumagen and Trinnov. That’s what I will be using. They also recommend using Input 6 or 7 on the Trinnov. Avoid using inputs 1 to 4 as they go through two SiI9777 HDMI chips in series. SJ

Last edited:
I have Strato to Lumagen to projector (Video) and Lumagen to Datasat RS20i (Audio Only) and like above I get the occasional audio dropout, watching Motherless Brooklyn last night it occurred but when I 'rewound' the film and played the scene again there was no audio dropout.
When a simple setup of having my Strato plugged into a TV in another room I don't seem to get any dropouts so it could just be 'a current feature' of the HDMI (highly dubious media interface) that we have to use and the number of interfaces in the chain.

I watched Midway and got 4 or so audio dropouts. Just annoying. I’m using a Trinnov and Lumagen Pro. I will see if support can find anything.

Just watched it last night - no problems with Lumagen Pro and McIntosh MX-160.

John

I really think it is an HDMI handshaking issue that is intermittent so therefore very difficult to find as it just occurs very occasionally but then when you play the item again there is no dropout so it isn't the film (or it isn't in my case). I use the Lumagen Pro with the internal co-star option enabled so the only common link in the posts is the Lumagen Pro and the Kaleidescape hardware as we all seem to be using different audio processors. :(

The Trinnov folks had me switch to the HDMI 1.4 protocol for that input since I’m not even feeding 4K video into it (video comes out of my Lumagen to my projector). Watched about 30-40 minutes of the same movie without an audio drop. I also remember that the audio was a bit off and was playing around with sync when I was having the audio issue. When I stopped the movie, the movie covers screen didn’t even look correct. You might be right about a handshake issue. Hope all continues to work. SJ

I have now changed my DataSat to HDMI 1.4 as well as like 'SJHT' I’m not feeding 4K video into the DataSat (video comes out of my Lumagen to my projector) so will monitor. I have dropped a note to Lumagen as it seems a common component in the chain (besides the K source) so will report back when I hear

Last edited:
The Lumagen VP's do a great job on many levels, and I'll continue to use and sell their products, but I have to agree that some of these issues go away when the Lumagen is removed from the chain. It must be difficult to keep up with all the HDMI/HDCP changes that occur regularly, and that coupled with issues presented by other components has Lumagen in a constant battle to stay ahead of the problems. Jim and his crew do a great job responding to clients, which is why I still have faith that they will find a fix (assuming it's something within their control).

Jim

I second Jim on that; I couldn’t ever imagine being without my Lumagen Pro now, that and my K gear are the only items I wouldn’t question if I was to start over

They do provide great support. Jim’s Lumagen Theater has a Trinnov (and also a Strato) which has helped me. They got it because there are many folks with that combo. They also seem to have a great relationship with K. SJ

I got a reply back from Jim at Lumagen and below is a subset of the mail with my additions in RED

The Datasat HDI input is marginal and it appears they did not implement all the HDMI audio interrupts. We have a number of people using the RS20i with the Pro without issues (at least none reported). (Mark H I did read something similar on one of the upgrade datasheets from Datasat that they had implemented a subset of the HDMI 'code' at least on the HSR41Q board which is what I have in my Datasat RS20i)

Use a 9 GHz output and enable video on that output to the RS20i. This has resolved issues in a number of RS20i systems. If you have a 424X and since you have a 18 GHz output this is not possible (Mark H I have the Lumagen Radiance Pro 4446-18G Video Processor with 8x4K60 18Ghz HDMI inputs and 2x4K60 18Ghz HDMI outputs and 2 audio only outputs)

The 18 GHz output has faster edge rates and so can be an issue for devices with margin HDMI inputs like the RS20i.

You should consider changing to a 9 GHz output card if you have a 424X, or making sure the output card for Output 1 and 2 is a 9 GHz card if you have a 444X. (Mark H - Mine are all 18Ghz)

Make sure to use MENU 0943 to “Enable common audio formats” and do a Save. This has helps in some Datasat systems.

Audio drop outs are almost always HDMI cable related. Use only 18 GHz certified cables that are 2 to 3 meters long for passive cables. NEVER use a passive HDMI cable less than 2 meters long as the signal can be too hot due to HDMI cable EQ.

The Pro does have edge rate and EQ on the faster end of the HDMI spec, but it is not the Pro at issue since it is well within spec and has one of the lowest output jitters for any HDMI device.

Setting the RS20i input to “HDMI 1.X” will not help and prevents you from sending both audio and video for HDMI 2.X sources.

Some feedback at least to add to the 'mix'

I still have this issue, and I don't think its the Radiance. My dealer has a Trinnov and a Strato and no Radiance, and also experiences the odd drop... there seems to be some handshake issue between the K and the Trinnov

Back