• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Are U Blu? Opinions and discussion on Blu Ray

Are U or will U be Blu?

• I have not seen Blu Ray/ No Opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not seen Blu Ray/ Dislike

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not seen Blu Ray/ Like

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I have seen Blu Rau/ dislike/ not impressed

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I have seen Blu Ray/ like but do not feel its worth the hassle to upgrade

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I have seen Blu Ray & I luv it!!! Color me Blu Baby!!

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JerryL

Just wondering what everyone here thinks about Blu Ray Disc.

Have you seen it? Do you think it's better than DVD. If so is it worth the effort to upgrade?

Hey Jerry

one (long) thought on the poll - especially for this forum - I actually was having trouble fitting myself into one of the answers. I would put myself in the camp of "Have seen Blu - love it - have an entry level player - but am being VERY selective in my purchases as a Kscape owner".

When I rent a movie, I will always rent it in Blu-ray, but for purchases, I am only buying very few Blu-ray, either replacing all-time favorites (like top 5 to top 10 favorites-some of which not available yet) and select new releases (Action flicks: Quantum of Solace, Dark Night, Star Trek when it comes out) because as Kscape owner - the instant access to the catalog and favorite scenes is more of a priority now than the upgrade in quality, especially when the 1080p player processing does an excellent job of upconverting even though it isn't quite Blu-ray (especially on the audio end of things) - not to mention how cheap std DVD's are now.

When things get ironed out with the new Blu-laser player, that will probably change but will depend on how things shake out on the import end of things (how the cost structure works out). I could see myself upgrading the player and importing BD if they do it on a reasonable pay-per-drink basis (or hopefully no charge - DOUBTFUL) - but still being selective, just not as selective (Action or epics or dramas with amazing cinematography, but not RomCom's or garden variety comedies).

Sorry I am being stubborn and not just selecting a), b), c) or d), but, as my wife will tell you, that I am not happy unless I am over-analyzing things and being difficult. :D

Joe

I think the quality of Blu-Ray is certainly worth the extra cost but the difficulty in dealing with Blu-Ray players isn't really worth it to me. It takes me 5 minutes to get to start playing an episode of Firefly on Bluray vs. Kaleidescape's speed for the DVD. Also, I have some discs that won't reliably load up and play with BluRay. I have been holding back on video purchases for the most part until I can get BluRay on the Kaleidescape running.

That's a crazy long load time, what player are you using? Most of the newer players load much faster than the original players. My Sony 5000ES displays a menu in about 5 seconds and loads most movies in less than 20 seconds.

Jim

I've found that most of the opinions that indicate BR is only a minor improvement come from those viewers that have traditional sized displays (50" or less).

BR shines on large displays and in front projection utilizing large screens. The audio is also a significant step up over conventional DVD, but again, not noticeable to those still using their display's speakers.

I'm definately a BR fan, have been from the beginning, but similar to MARS I'll be selective as to which movies end up in my K system (action/scifi/etc.). My wife's movies are relegated to standard DVD.:D

Jim

I am with you guys. I will give you my story just for pure entertainment value and its fun to reminisce. If you don't have the time to read it then for the record I am where Jim is- BR for the things that require it but not for Seinfeld.

In my case it was a few years ago- I was typing away on the Meridian user board to a question someone asked- should we check out the new HD formats- HDDVD and BR? My response was negative. Why should we waste our time on another format destined to fail. My point on it was in the case of every consumer format I could ever think of, what sells is not technical superiority but rather what I would call lifestyle superiority. For example what enabled CD and DVD to dominate their markets is not improved (lets ignore the debate on the CD side please) audio or video quality but rather convenience. No more tapes to rewind or get jammed up. Easier portability, random access, fairly durable physical media. The "and it sounds better" part usually comes last.

My point was- what do the new formats offer beyond improved audio and video? The answer is really nothing. Sure there are some new little tricks they have like BR Live, but thats not much. So why in the world would I go down that road, especially when I had just taken delivery of this wonderful Kaleidescape system and on my displays the image looked good to me. Even on my 135" wide theater screen.

One of my fellow Meridian friends felt that if people like us were turning our backs on the new formats then they would surely fail. So he made a very interesting offer. The next few people who would respond to him, he would send them a new Toshiba HDDVD machine. I responded. Then I went to bed. The next morning I went back to the forum and let him know that I'd rather he use my spot on someone who would be enthusiastic about the format and not on me. But he wanted to demonstrate to me how big a difference it was.

A week later a brand new Toshiba XA1 HDDVD machine arrived along with 5 movies! Mark, you probably will not read this here but you are a classy guy. As an aside, all of us who received these gifts sent Mark a gift from us as a thank you.

At the time I was replacing the projector in my theater so I used a 60" plasma I have as my evaluation device. I fired up the HDDVD of Apollo 13. Just as I was expecting, I didn't really see anything that blew me away. The image was a little soft and the color depth certainly was nice but I wasn't really impressed. Then I switched to the DVD (Via the Kscape). I couldn't believe it. A13 looked like a mess. I tried this over and over, Serenity, The Searchers, I forget the other movies. If I started off with the DVD, it always looked fine, but going to the HD source, it always was clearer, with deeper colors, as it should. I realized I could never go back- and I haven't.

I think Jim's take is right on. If you have a large enough display 50+" it will be hard to not see a difference in resolution, clarity, stability, contrast ratio and color depth. For me the color depth is a big deal.

I think DVD has its place but I am eager for K to get their Blu Ray setup going.

hi guys, im a fan of great sound along with the picture, to have some thumping speakers working hard for me takes the whole experience to a deeper place.......... beo 5,s in front and beo3,s for rear with the 7-4 centre......... mmmmmm

"Sounds" good.:)

The video improvements aside, BR's audio adds another dimension to the total experience, IMO.

Jim

i like the impact of 3000 watts in a 6x4m room with the b&o lifestyle but im going to push the limits and keep going, food for thought though, ive just bought a sd copy of the dark knight and a br copy, ive pana 37" in the bedroom with the topline br player, im going to use this as my benchmark dvd because im looking at putting a topline dvdo upscaler inline of my b&o and its going to be interesting to see the outcome to say the least because id like to up from a 42" to a 50" in the lounge, all this while i save for 20tb of hardcore k, now thats mmmmmmmm. or do i wait for the br k ?????

I wholeheartedly agree Jim. Its not just the extra dynamic range but its the subtle details. As a technical format BR (and HDDVD) has a lot going for it.

IPSwitch, I think if you wanted it now then get it now. The whole thing with K and BR could wrap itself up by the Fall or perhaps drag on for who knows how much longer. The server will be compatible, the only question would be the player/ reader. They dont seem to have their blu ray player (it would play the discs but not import them) out yet- but when they do, I am pretty sure (disclaimer dont know for sure) that it would be able to import and stream the data.

mmmmmm interesting jerryl, thanks for the thinking, im going to find a good dvdo dealer whos up to speed and see what are the best results with their professional upscaler before i conclude this part of the equation, then once i refine my list i feel a visit to k would be great to put a face to he name as well as quite an experience to boot................ is this something that k does at all or on special occations does anyone know please ?????

mmmm, it is impressive reading jerryl, thanks for the advice, i wasnt aware of this company and shall definately trial this company at its best as its in my budget and i like the elitist attitude underlying their website......... i just may need to get up to speed now, ho hum, i cannt help but snigger as im watching 'the bucket list' with some superior actors doing what their best at, sorry to diversify but life is just a constant challenge and i do love a challenge........... so please acknowledge my respect of your awareness and standing jerry, thanks, andy

Back