• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Anyone with a Strato/Terra setup?

rehr0001

I’ve got a nice potential deal locally on a used 6TB compact Terra. I’m currently running a Strato and wonder how the Strato works as a front end to the Terra. I expect I’d get increased download speeds with the Terra, but does anyone know how K decides where to download to (the Strato vs the Terra)? Can I choose to download to the Terra? Or if a movie is downloaded to the Terra and there is room on the Strato, can I move downloaded movies from the Terra to the Strato to ensure new movies are downloaded to the Terra?

your download speed with a strato s will still be slower! its processing speed is not as fast as a strato c

your download speed with a strato s will still be slower! its processing speed is not as fast as a strato c
I’d be wanting to download to the compact terra, not the S. That’s my question for people that may have this setup - is there a way to control where the movie downloads to.

i believe that is not correct, if StratoS is controlling the download will be slower than stratoC due to the single processor instead of two separate processors.

Downloads will go to the Terra first and only go to the Strato if/when the Terra is out of space.

The download speed of a Terra is not affected by having a Strato grouped with it. Downloads to the Terra _could_ be throttled if you are playing back content or there are other background activities going on at the same time as the download.

Downloads will go to the Terra first and only go to the Strato if/when the Terra is out of space.

The download speed of a Terra is not affected by having a Strato grouped with it. Downloads to the Terra _could_ be throttled if you are playing back content or there are other background activities going on at the same time as the download.
Thank you. Is there any way to move movies from a terra to the Strato (essentially filling it up first) to ensure downloads are always going to the terra? In other words preventing the terra from filling up when the Strato has space available to keep high speed downloads at all times?

Thank you. Is there any way to move movies from a terra to the Strato (essentially filling it up first) to ensure downloads are always going to the terra? In other words preventing the terra from filling up when the Strato has space available to keep high speed downloads at all times?
There is no mechanism to move content from one server to another aside from replication which is not recommended when the servers are part of the same system. You could force a download to the Strato by turning off the Terra when you queue a download from the store but that would require you to download the content again which is not what you're after.

That’s really helpfu, thanks. I think that’s a pretty good workaround, actually. If I’m downloading a movie that I’m not planning to watch in 15 minutes, I can power down the terra and download as a workaround until the strato is full.

Is there any way to view which movies reside on the terra vs the strato?

That’s really helpfu, thanks. I think that’s a pretty good workaround, actually. If I’m downloading a movie that I’m not planning to watch in 15 minutes, I can power down the terra and download as a workaround until the strato is full.

Is there any way to view which movies reside on the terra vs the strato?
AFAIK the only way to do this is to shut down one component (Strato or Terra) and then go to the web interface movie list of the remaining component. It will show the content of that component. Then do the reverse to see the content of the other component. It would be a good idea to download or print the list of movies for reference. Finally make sure everything is powered back up and functioning.

Hope this helps.

Wayne

AFAIK the only way to do this is to shut down one component (Strato or Terra) and then go to the web interface movie list of the remaining component. It will show the content of that component. Then do the reverse to see the content of the other component. It would be a good idea to download or print the list of movies for reference. Finally make sure everything is powered back up and functioning.

Hope this helps.

Wayne

Yikes! I just saw your storage space in your equipment info!

Back